The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4400
Original post by mikeyd85
There's a whole hell of a lot that can be done to make tyhe Hero faster! :biggrin:

such as? I have a hero.. well t-mobile g2 touch but basically the same thing but it can be a little slow at times now
Original post by G8D
Probably Orange San Fran or the LG Optimus One

Yes. You can install a better/faster ROM and overclock it. But it can only do so much, it's still a slow phone by today's standards.

True dat. Still, with Feeyo stopping dev work, it seems a bit late to join this bandwagon.
Reply 4402
Original post by G8D
Probably Orange San Fran or the LG Optimus One

Yes. You can install a better/faster ROM and overclock it. But it can only do so much, it's still a slow phone by today's standards.

Repped. The thing with the SF is its on Orange, and tbh i want to go on o2 most likely, or Vodaphone...

Original post by G8D
Feeyo is stopping :O

I'm a big fan of ele personally but that will make a pretty big dent in the ROM development.

Saying this I must add: my Hero is on eBay with 22 watchers and a day to go. If anyone wants a Hero then buy mine :wink:

What
Original post by G8D
Feeyo is stopping :O

I'm a big fan of ele personally but that will make a pretty big dent in the ROM development.

Saying this I must add: my Hero is on eBay with 22 watchers and a day to go. If anyone wants a Hero then buy mine :wink:

Linky (want to see what you get for it)?

It seems that ele has been ripping off Feeyo's work, and as such, he's not doing any more either.... :rolleyes:

Original post by G8D
??

Feeyo stopping hero development, I can't find anything on the cronos project forums
Reply 4406

What does that do? Also, when unlocking will it still load with the orange logo etc? Also what are ROMS, and what is Japan Jellyfish and all these other weird names. Im so new to Android :s-smilie:
Is it possible to brick an android phone?
Reply 4407
Original post by G8D
That is an app your install on your phone, enter your IMEI number and it gives you an unlock code. Unlocking your phone simply allows you to use other SIMs in it from different operators.

A ROM is the software you load on the phone (customised version of Android), Japanese Jellyfish is just one of many ROMs available for the OSF. To get rid of the Orange branded stuff you need to either remove them from the ROM installed on your phone by default or install a new ROM entirely (what I would recommend).

You should quote Mad Vlad or greeneyedgirl if you require anymore information as they both have the OSF rooted and with a custom ROM :smile:

Thanks, are there any risks with changing ROMs though?Does it void the warrenty?
Reply 4408
Original post by G8D
It does. But you can always go back to unrooted/unROM'd if you need to return you phone.

But if what goes wrong on your phone is something so monumentally serious as a hardware failure then it's unlikely they'd even notice that you were rooted.

I think Argos would be the place to get one then, as they generally never even look at an item if you bring it back because it is faulty.
Original post by G8D
I don't know if he is. I can't get on the forums because they now require logins. I'm just going by what Mikey said.

http://www.cronosproject.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=877&start=240

You don't need a login?

You'd get about £75 fro envirophone too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Weird.
The link I used from Google must have been the login one by accident :p:

So is he actually ceasing development?

Yeah, I've seen that from Google too....

I've seen his say he was leaving before, only to come back, so we'll see. It's a shame as Cronos GB is looking pretty good these days. ONly a couple of issues to fix.
Yeah, 6 months and I have a new phone (hopefully)
Just noticed one thing majorly sucks on all tablets: there is no multiple user support. Everybody logs in on the same user. That's terrible, you can't leave it on the coffer table for anybody else to use (without signing out of all your apps; no customisation either).

Google need to sort this out. Jobs wants us to buy one tablet each I'm sure. Google get ahead of the game please.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja

Original post by silent ninja
Just noticed one thing majorly sucks on all tablets: there is no multiple user support. Everybody logs in on the same user. That's terrible, you can't leave it on the coffer table for anybody else to use (without signing out of all your apps; no customisation either).

Google need to sort this out. Jobs wants us to buy one tablet each I'm sure. Google get ahead of the game please.

http://berglondon.com/blog/2010/12/13/non-personal-computing-sketching-a-multi-user-ui-for-the-ipad/

That's a decent concept, though you don't need names on the corners it could just be a list or avatars or even cover flow through users. You swipe then type your password. Easy.

It will require changes in the OS to store and retrieve personal settings and preferences. I don't think Apple, Google, HP or Blackberry have mentioned multi-user support which is kinda odd-- maybe they've thought of it but not addressed the idea because tablet storage is relatively small. A tablet is not like a smartphone, more like a computer, so they have to sort this out imo.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Flash storage is the real issue.
32GB is great for one user, split it across 4 and it become next to nothing.

It was also likely require apps to be able to be global or local to one user, info for apps to be stored multiple times, a soft-lock so as to provide seamless usage (while allowing the screen to go offline) where only one user is using it and probably plenty of other things to be considered as well.

You mean it has to behave like a computer rather than a personal phone? :wink:
The cloud will have a big part to play I'm sure, re-storage issues.

We're basically still at the first generation step of tablets. They will overcome these shortcomings I hope. It's a major flaw especially for bigger tablets that are more likely to be shared.
Original post by Astra_K
What is the best android phone for £100?

Please quote me :smile:

Orange San Francisco, IMO.

Original post by Astra_K
What does that do? Also, when unlocking will it still load with the orange logo etc? Also what are ROMS, and what is Japan Jellyfish and all these other weird names. Im so new to Android :s-smilie:
Is it possible to brick an android phone?

The unlock code generator G8D linked you to generates a code that will remove the network restriction for the handset, allowing it to operate on any compatible network, of which all the UK Mobile Network Operators are compatible.

The bootloader image you see is built into the ROM.

Japanese Jellyfish is an example of a custom ROM for the OSF. Mine is currently running on Jellyfish and it's very stable, efficient and fast. I'm going to upgrade to CyanogenMod 7 when it's got its bugs ironed out.

You can brick the phone if the ROM if you do it wrong, but there's a piece of software called Clockwork Recovery, which basically automates the process of installing a custom ROM, and there's hundreds of guides out there to explain how to do it.

Original post by Astra_K
Thanks, are there any risks with changing ROMs though?Does it void the warrenty?

Yes, it does; but as G8D said, you can just flash the stock ROM back on if you develop a problem.
Reply 4417
Original post by Mad Vlad
Orange San Francisco, IMO.

The unlock code generator G8D linked you to generates a code that will remove the network restriction for the handset, allowing it to operate on any compatible network, of which all the UK Mobile Network Operators are compatible.

The bootloader image you see is built into the ROM.

Japanese Jellyfish is an example of a custom ROM for the OSF. Mine is currently running on Jellyfish and it's very stable, efficient and fast. I'm going to upgrade to CyanogenMod 7 when it's got its bugs ironed out.

You can brick the phone if the ROM if you do it wrong, but there's a piece of software called Clockwork Recovery, which basically automates the process of installing a custom ROM, and there's hundreds of guides out there to explain how to do it.

Yes, it does; but as G8D said, you can just flash the stock ROM back on if you develop a problem.

Thanks for that info, very useful. So that Jellyfish one is for the SF only, or pretty much all android phones? Who makes these ROMS anyway?
Also, how would you revert back to the standard ROM?
Lastly, what about the Sony Xperia 8, would you say that is better? Its between those two tbh. My gifriend just got a Samsung Galaxy i5500, how is that worse than the SF?
Thanks and repped
Original post by Astra_K
Thanks for that info, very useful. So that Jellyfish one is for the SF only, or pretty much all android phones? Who makes these ROMS anyway?
Also, how would you revert back to the standard ROM?
Lastly, what about the Sony Xperia 8, would you say that is better? Its between those two tbh. My gifriend just got a Samsung Galaxy i5500, how is that worse than the SF?
Thanks and repped

JJ is on the SF only, AFAIK. Mods like CyanogenMod are being developed across many platforms, with device specific hardware drivers/tweaks. For instance, one of the curios with the OSF is that the screen is mounted upside down, so it requires a software hack to invert the screen's output so it displays correctly. :smile:

Bored, committed Android fans-cum-programming geniuses generally make these mods.

All you do is flash the stock ROM (which you can pick up on sites like XDA and MoDaCo) using clockwork in the same way as you flashed the custom ROM.

Not really got much experience with either of those handsets, but (without wanting to sound like a fanboi) it's pretty much universally acknowledged that the ZTE Blade (OSF) is one of the most fully featured handsets for its price; one of the main reasons that it's become such a boon for the modding community.
(edited 13 years ago)
Stupid phone won't sleep :mob:. @30% 7 hours unplugged :sigh:

Latest

Trending

Trending