The Student Room Group

Reconsideration/Appeal success stories

I am looking to see if any school leavers has received an offer after chasing up non-interviewing medical schools?

I.e. getting your school to recommend you, etc?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One of my mums best friends is an oncologist. She applied around 12-13 years ago and got offers after interview to all her choices but the one she really wanted (Sheffield!) rejected without interview.

She wrote them a strong letter and ended up getting an interview - and ultimately a place! Although apparently she got grilled at the interview quite a bit....It never hurts to try.
Reply 2
Original post by kateb566

Original post by kateb566
One of my mums best friends is an oncologist. She applied around 12-13 years ago and got offers after interview to all her choices but the one she really wanted (Sheffield!) rejected without interview.

She wrote them a strong letter and ended up getting an interview - and ultimately a place! Although apparently she got grilled at the interview quite a bit....It never hurts to try.

the best time to get into Uni lol: No fees, entry requirements are ABB/BBB, Unis don't use the UKCAT/BMAT.
why would they? your teachers already gave their input on your application in your reference...
A friend of mine got 4 rejections, then wrote to his MP about the 'injustice' of it all.

Miraculously Aberdeen phoned up and said they had recently found a place for him....

This was 4 years ago.
Reply 5
Original post by Schoolio93
the best time to get into Uni lol: No fees, entry requirements are ABB/BBB, Unis don't use the UKCAT/BMAT.

A levels were harder though - no resits, no modules, no AS level exams. Just A2 standard final exams at the end of 2 years of work and the grade you got was the grade you were stuck with.
significantly fewer medical school places as well
Reply 7
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
A friend of mine got 4 rejections, then wrote to his MP about the 'injustice' of it all.

Miraculously Aberdeen phoned up and said they had recently found a place for him....

This was 4 years ago.

Haha holy crap. That's a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of writing to my MP...
My MP is a fairly prominent Lib Dem. All the uni's would probably send him back in pieces.
Original post by Beska
Haha holy crap. That's a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of writing to my MP...

Yeah thing is there was a reason he wasn't accepted....

Non existent people skills. Still, hopefully the NHS will burn it into him.
Gordon Brown (when he was Chancellor) intervening on behalf of that Laura Spence girl didn't end up doing her any good .... and she was mentioned in Parliament.

(I've just read Wikipedia and she eventually studied postgraduate medicine at Cambridge, graduating in 2008, with distinction)
Original post by ImWithTheBand
Gordon Brown (when he was Chancellor) intervening on behalf of that Laura Spence girl didn't end up doing her any good .... and she was mentioned in Parliament.

(I've just read Wikipedia and she eventually studied postgraduate medicine at Cambridge, graduating in 2008, with distinction)

that entire fiasco was BS to be fair
Reply 12
Original post by John Locke

Indeed. Very little can be said (imo) if one is appealing for a post-interview decision. One can't exactly say "I was amazing! You loved me! You should have given me a place!"
Original post by John Locke

Agree.
Original post by Beska
Indeed. Very little can be said (imo) if one is appealing for a post-interview decision. One can't exactly say "I was amazing! You loved me! You should have given me a place!"

LOL. Perhaps people are doing all the wrong prep for their interviews. Look into my eyes..... you're back in the room.
Reply 15
Original post by ImWithTheBand

& she probably could have studied at Oxford too... if she'd applied for Biochemistry there too. :tongue:

Generally - you can appeal the procedure (if they didn't do what they say they do etc.) but not the decision.
Never expected so many to say it is pointless! lol

Surely if your school bothers to write a letter of recommendation for you and send it off, it must count for something?
Original post by garlicbreadman

Surely if your school bothers to write a letter of recommendation for you and send it off, it must count for something?

They've already written your letter of recommendation.
Reply 18
Original post by garlicbreadman

Why? They only have a limited number of places to offer, and probably most applicants' schools think they're the bees' knees - why should universities change their admissions procedures because someone asks really really nicely?

I am very aware that medicine admissions systems are far from perfect but I don't think that they should be influenced by who can get their school/MP/whoever to shout the loudest.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending