The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

^ Switching between Anchorman and this show called 'Castle'..... seems interesting, heard some things about it
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Wow, nice.

I'm trying to figure out whether my friends would be up for going.

Is this a 'this film was so damn emotional' suicide or a 'they have utterly ruined the film' suicide?

it was a "i haven't read the book and just broken up with boyfriend 3 days ago" suicide.
oh god. the Radiohead sountrack didn't help. I thought it was going to be this beautiful, emotionally mysterious but ultimately positive arty japanese film. Little did i know there were about 4 lines of dialogue and the world's most awkward sex scene this side of Watchmen.
It doesn't look half bad:

Reply 243
Hm. Don't really like Captain America as a superhero, but that doesn't look horrible. And I expect Hugo Weaving to do some glorious hamming, so it'll probably be worth it for that.
Looks alreeet, Chris Evans is a great actor and will make a good Human Torch/Captain America, or as I've called him before 'HumanTorchAmerica'

Thor will probably be the comic book film of the year though imo
Coming round to the idea of these films referencing each other, and ultimately leading onto The Avengers.

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Looks alreeet, Chris Evans is a great actor and will make a good Human Torch/Captain America, or as I've called him before 'HumanTorchAmerica'

Thor will probably be the comic book film of the year though imo

Over the Green Lantern?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 246
Feel like watching something today :holmes:
Reply 247
I dunno, X-Men: First Class looks promising. Matthew Vaughn is a pretty good director, and anything that explores the relationship between Magneto and Xavier (one of the most interesting in comics, imo) is aces in my book.
Coming round to the idea of these films referencing each other, and ultimately leading onto The Avengers.

Over the Green Lantern?

Yet to be seen, I still doubt the Avengers is making a wise move by being released next summer (I think it's too soon but meh)

but yeah, yet to be seen. I like the Green Lantern trailer, looks great but Thor has blown me away - it just looks hands down like it will be more entertaining and possibly more faithful to the comic

I remember when TGL trailer came out, loads of people were slating it, saying it looked crappy, cliché etc meh

I've glazed over X-men First class too.... looks pretty good
Original post by Christien
I dunno, X-Men: First Class looks promising. Matthew Vaughn is a pretty good director, and anything that explores the relationship between Magneto and Xavier (one of the most interesting in comics, imo) is aces in my book.

Knew something was missing. So wrapped in thinking about Avengers films that I forgot about X-Men: First Class. In that case, I too think X-Men will be the biggest or the comic book film of the year. Looking forward to that. :cute:

This. Green Lantern is going to flop massively and the Avengers films will be met with the apathy that greeted Iron Man 2. X Men looks incredible comparatively.
Original post by Phalanges
This. Green Lantern is going to flop massively and the Avengers films will be met with the apathy that greeted Iron Man 2. X Men looks incredible comparatively.

Hmmm wouldn't be so sure, I don't think it will be a commercial flop, it will be a flop in the eyes of most comic book fans I imagine but Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively should be sure to pull in big enough audiences

Depends on peoples' appetite for comic book films this year, it will be the 4th out after The Green Hornet and Thor, X-men First class so yeah

The Avengers films needs better direction and time on production, they've apparently already started filming it... and they switched the actor playing Bruce Banner / The hulk again, stupid

*Scratch that, TGL will be the 5th comic book film out if Captain america's out July 4th... lol
(edited 13 years ago)

Hmmm wouldn't be so sure, I don't think it will be a commercial flop, it will be a flop in the eyes of most comic book fans I imagine but Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively should be sure to pull in big enough audiences

Depends on peoples' appetite for comic book films this year, it will be the 4th out after The Green Hornet and Thor, X-men First class so yeah

The Avengers films needs better direction and time on production, they've apparently already started filming it... and they switched the actor playing Bruce Banner / The hulk again, stupid

*Scratch that, TGL will be the 5th comic book film out if Captain america's out July 4th... lol

When I said flop massively I meant critically and in terms of general opinion rather than commercially, which isn't easy to predict, often carries less weight and is far less interesting (in my mind, anyway).
When I said flop massively I meant critically and in terms of general opinion rather than commercially, which isn't easy to predict, often carries less weight and is far less interesting (in my mind, anyway).

Lol yeah fair enough then, just like I am Number Four *shakes head in dissapointment*

What superhero film are you most looking forward to this year anyway

Lol yeah fair enough then, just like I am Number Four *shakes head in dissapointment*

What superhero film are you most looking forward to this year anyway

Probably X-Men, I don't care about the Avengers in the slightest any more. The comic-book film I'm most looking forward to is Tintin though.

Although this year is really quite tame compared to the complete insanity that next year will bring with Spiderman, Superman and Batman all in the space of a few months.
Jeez, 2012 is going to be the biggest year in comic book film history, is it not?

You have the juggernauts; Superman, Batman and Spider-Man, the combination of Marvel heroes in The Avengers and in the background (being squashed to death by the juggernauts) Wolverine 2 and Ghost Rider 2.
Yet to be seen, I still doubt the Avengers is making a wise move by being released next summer (I think it's too soon but meh)

but yeah, yet to be seen. I like the Green Lantern trailer, looks great but Thor has blown me away - it just looks hands down like it will be more entertaining and possibly more faithful to the comic

I remember when TGL trailer came out, loads of people were slating it, saying it looked crappy, cliché etc meh

I still maintain that it's going to be another Spiderman 3. Thor has also, wisely, dumbed down the 'magic' or 'supernatural' aspect of its story, and turned it into science. Amidst other great releases from other genres, don't think I'll be going to see any in the cinema except for X-Men.

Jeez, 2012 is going to be the biggest year in comic book film history, is it not?

You have the juggernauts; Superman, Batman and Spider-Man, the combination of Marvel heroes in The Avengers and in the background (being squashed to death by the juggernauts) Wolverine 2 and Ghost Rider 2.

It's not a sure thing that Wolverine's going to be released at all now, let alone next year.
It's not a sure thing that Wolverine's going to be released at all now, let alone next year.

If only Ghost Rider would follow in its footsteps...
Reply 259
I somehow managed to miss every single Downton Abbey episode when they were on, so I'm planning on getting stuck in soon. Did anyone see them?

Quick Reply

Latest