The Student Room Group

National insurance number will take 6 weeks to come

Starting to get worried about this now, any help will be appreciated.

Ok so, for some reason when I turned 16 my national insurance number didn't come, like it did for my brothers. I didn't pay too much attention to it because I didn't think I'd be needing it for student finance and I wasn't looking for work. Now that I find out I can't continue my application without the national insurance number I went down to the job centre with my documents and applied for one. Problem is, the lady who interviewed me said that it takes 6 weeks to come (on the paper she gave me it says 8 weeks...).

Now, isn't the student finance application deadline in May? What the hell am I supposed to do??:angry:
Original post by 0906079
Starting to get worried about this now, any help will be appreciated.

Ok so, for some reason when I turned 16 my national insurance number didn't come, like it did for my brothers. I didn't pay too much attention to it because I didn't think I'd be needing it for student finance and I wasn't looking for work. Now that I find out I can't continue my application without the national insurance number I went down to the job centre with my documents and applied for one. Problem is, the lady who interviewed me said that it takes 6 weeks to come (on the paper she gave me it says 8 weeks...).

Now, isn't the student finance application deadline in May? What the hell am I supposed to do??:angry:

It isn't a real deadline. It just means that if you apply after that date they can't guarantee it will be ready in time for the start of uni.
Reply 2
Original post by hypocriticaljap
It isn't a real deadline. It just means that if you apply after that date they can't guarantee it will be ready in time for the start of uni.

Although chances are, even if you do apply before the so called 'deadline', they still might not have finished assessing you before you start.
Reply 3

Ah ok thanks. Though that leaves me worrying more because I need to pay for accom at the start of the term and need a get a laptop, some clothes, books, etc. Used savings to pay deposit on accommodation. :/

Also do you know what kind of evidence they ask if your parents are on benefits? I think my dad gets income support because of his low income and mum is a housewife. I have a feeling it will take them agess to fill out the forms that they need to.
Your dad will get a P60 that's what he sends off.
Reply 5
Your dad will get a P60 that's what he sends off.

That's what you get from your employer right? What if someone's parent is self employed or unemployed, what forms will they need? Do you know?
Reply 6
We weren't living in the country when my sister was 16 so she didn't get her national insurance number, and when she returned for uni and had to sort it out, I'm pretty sure they just told her what is was at the job centre. Like they wrote it down on a bit of paper for her there and then when she went in (and she did then get a more official letter with it on a few weeks later, but never actually got a card).

NI numbers are assigned when your parents claim child benefit for you, so if that's been the case at any point you should already have an NI number; you just haven't been sent the card that tells you what it is. You could try going to the job centre again and asking if they can just tell you it maybe? Just a suggestion. :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 0906079
That's what you get from your employer right? What if someone's parent is self employed or unemployed, what forms will they need? Do you know?

People who receive JSA get a P60 - it is taxable income.
Self employed send in their tax returns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending