The Student Room Group

Year 11s, have you started revising for your GCSEs yet? What are your week points?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by halii_94
well I started with a timetable of three hours per day last week..didn't work at all,got distracted and bored easily but this week I cut it down to 2 and it has worked and is productive considering I'm away from all distractions

2 hours per day? :eek: That's intense!

OP: I will fail English spectacularly. :frown: Not worried about anything else anywhere near as much. :cool:
Original post by Lozza_00
All A/A* which I should be able to get as long as I revise properly apart from English which I'm A/B borderline so will probably just come down to luck. How about you?

Same here predicted all A/A* and just achieved an A for GCSE enlgish language (speaking and listening saved me) so I don't really know how I'll do for literature as I got a B in the exam part for language. But apparently it's easier lol so I hope for an A/A*. Yeah we only have a short period of time for revision :/ do you have edexcel for enlgish as an exam board?
I'm doing 3 hours a day or so and slightly longer at the weekend, but that's mainly because I decided to take Classical Civilisation even though we only get 2 lessons a fortnight at school :frown:

The only things I really have to revise for is extension science and classics, french and german can't really revise, same with maths, ICT and economics I can do like a week before the exams and Geography shouldn't be too bad either
Original post by Lozza_00
And has everyone done all their coursework?

No: I still have four pieces to do (Chemistry, Physics, I.T. and Citizenship). I have started my revision though as I have a lot of exams.
Bloody hell. People have started revising already... I'm worried :p:
Reply 25
haven't started properly revising yet... suppose i'l make a plan or summing in easter... but we're doing a lot in school..

my weak point is english also
Reply 26
I have a three day revision rotation:

Day 1: Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Day 2: Maths, History, Geography and R.E.

Day 3: English Language, Music and Resistant Materials.

Day 4: Repeat.

I'm spending > or equal to an hour per subject per night on weekdays, starting at about 6:30 - 7:00, and three to five hours at weekends. I'm making revision summaries, reading through my textbooks/ exercise books and answering/ working through problems on the subjects I have revised. I'll increase it to five hours per night after Easter.

I did two of my G.C.S.E.s last year, which helps!
I've started, generally 1 hour afterschool, sometimes 2 hours if it's a large/difficult topic. I don't really have any weak spots, I got straight A*/A in my mocks :/ But the only subjects where I think I will miss out on A* is:

english language
RE, since I need 96% to average an A* (got a low A last year)
and english literature since I'm A*/A border line

I aim to get atleast 7A*s and 2A's with an A in the FSMQ
Reply 28
Original post by AtomicMan
I've started, generally 1 hour afterschool, sometimes 2 hours if it's a large/difficult topic. I don't really have any weak spots, I got straight A*/A in my mocks :/ But the only subjects where I think I will miss out on A* is:

english language

Which literature text are you studying?
Reply 29
I haven't started revising yet :smile:

I was thinking of starting middle april time, as my exams don't start until the 16th May
Original post by IQ Test
Which literature text are you studying?

I am doing of mice and men
for poetry, heaney and clarke + pre 1914

english language

Which exam boad do you do for RE if you don't mind me asking?

As for the subjects that you think you're likely to miss out on an A*, i'm with you on the english literature. If I watch my grammar,spelling and sentence structure for the lang I should be okay but who knows? It could be an epic fail! :frown:

I haven't started yet, i'm currently ploughing through the coursework...
Reply 32
I am doing of mice and men
for poetry, heaney and clarke + pre 1914

I did Heaney and Clarke for early entry literature last year and got an A. If you think you would find it helpful to discuss the poems, feel free : )
Original post by bigbosomsevie
it had been said twice already. do you not realize how annoying that is?

and i started revision in easter too, and did okay. good luck OP

*realise

Sorry. I'm mainly doing that to be annoying.

As for revision, I suppose I'll start now. Most of my exams are in May, all I have after Half-Term is Maths, which is good, but not so good because May is going to be crap D: However, MORE SUMMER HOLIDAYS FOR MEEE!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Well, I revise for a few subjects in school sporadically but I don't revise much at home. I really do need to start though but I'm so lazy that when I try I just fall asleep.
Original post by theblackphoenixcon
*realise

Sorry. I'm mainly doing that to be annoying.

As for revision, I suppose I'll start now. Most of my exams are in May, all I have after Half-Term is Maths, which is good, but not so good because May is going to be crap D: However, MORE SUMMER HOLIDAYS FOR MEEE!!!!

my dyslexia software changes it automatically, but it works with US english. Fortunately I take an anomalist approach towards language, so I really don't give a ****.
why even bother quoting me? I've obviously done my exams.
Original post by IQ Test
I have a three day revision rotation:

Day 1: Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Day 2: Maths, History, Geography and R.E.

Day 3: English Language, Music and Resistant Materials.

Day 4: Repeat.

I'm spending > or equal to an hour per subject per night on weekdays, starting at about 6:30 - 7:00, and three to five hours at weekends. I'm making revision summaries, reading through my textbooks/ exercise books and answering/ working through problems on the subjects I have revised. I'll increase it to five hours per night after Easter.

I did two of my G.C.S.E.s last year, which helps!

That's actually quite a great timetable, I might have to use one similar lol, best of luck for the exams btw :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Aminaubah
That's actually quite a great timetable, I might have to use one similar lol, best of luck for the exams btw :smile:

Thanks very much!

It works for me because I don't feel I have to do it any any particular time. As long as I do at least an hour on each subject in a day (at any point) I will feel like I've made progress. I also set small targets (eg. finish these questions this session).

Good luck with your exams, too : )
Original post by Ears
I've started. Just an hour a day really but more for the subjects I need to learn (ie statistics because I'm entering myself). I'll get more intense in the holidays I think.

Still need to get stats coursework done :/

Intense!? GCSE!? Wait til after easter, you don't need to burn yourself out :wink:

and that goes for all of you crazy kids :smile: No need for 3 hours a day just yet
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
Intense!? GCSE!? Wait til after easter, you don't need to burn yourself out :wink:

and that goes for all of you kids :smile: No need for 3 hours a day just yet

You're probably right.
As long as I go into the exam and I'm 100% confident, then I'll know I've done enough revision.

Quick Reply

Latest