The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by riotgrrl
Just got a 64 page vocabulary list and details on how proficient my Latin should be by the time I arrive in Oxford. Fun fun fun! :tongue:

And I just have to read a load of novels :biggrin:
Reply 1001
Original post by mcgovernjon
And I just have to read a load of novels :biggrin:

Aha, another History and English student! We're a rare breed indeed :tongue:
Original post by JAR12
Aha, another History and English student! We're a rare breed indeed :tongue:

We certainly are :smile: Which college did you choose?
Reply 1003
Original post by mcgovernjon
We certainly are :smile: Which college did you choose?

I got Pembroke though I chose Balliol. Beggars can't be choosers :P I don't mind. I like the look of Pembroke, it's central-ish, it has nice facilities and it's right next door to G&Ds!
I never visited St. Peter's, not sure why...
I really want to know how many got Heng, as the intake is usually very low each year!
I'm not sure if I can trust my memory, but I seem to remember at an open day a Computer Science tutor saying that the optional quantum computing module was only available to maths & comp sci (ie joint) students - but I can't seem to confirm this anywhere online. Anybody remember being told anything similar?

Original post by Oxford ComLab
QFA
Physics at Christ Church
Original post by JAR12
I got Pembroke though I chose Balliol. Beggars can't be choosers :P I don't mind. I like the look of Pembroke, it's central-ish, it has nice facilities and it's right next door to G&Ds!
I really want to know how many got Heng, as the intake is usually very low each http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/smile.gifyear!

Haha :smile: St Peter's is pretty close to a Ben & Jerry's and I think one of the G&D stores is not too far away; some of the other interviewees walked down when I was already too full with the mediocre college food :biggrin:

One of my friends got rejected from Pembroke - it looks a nice college but I didn't get the chance to look inside...
Reply 1007
Human sciences at Magdalen
Original post by LtCommanderData
I'm not sure if I can trust my memory, but I seem to remember at an open day a Computer Science tutor saying that the optional quantum computing module was only available to maths & comp sci (ie joint) students - but I can't seem to confirm this anywhere online. Anybody remember being told anything similar?

Quantum is only available to Maths and Comp Sci students; not straight Computer Science students.

There's high-level information about our courses on the admissions site, but if you want to dig into more detail, most of the existing student pages are available publicly. http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/teaching/mcs/ and http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/teaching/bacompsci/
Moderations refer to your first year; Parts A, B & C to the 2nd, 3rd and optional 4th years.

Hope that helps
Original post by JAR12
I really want to know how many got Heng, as the intake is usually very low each year!

There's a G&Ds next to Christ Church too. :sogood:
no lincoln people? just accepted my unconditional for english there... was it a dreadful mistake? will i be walking the ivy covered halls alone weeping into a dickens volume?
Reply 1011
oooh, the Masterchef contenstants are cooking at one of the colleges next Wednesday :biggrin: 'The world's most iconic university', they called it :cool:
Original post by itsmeanna
no lincoln people? just accepted my unconditional for english there... was it a dreadful mistake? will i be walking the ivy covered halls alone weeping into a dickens volume?

probably :P
just kidding, I know two people who've got offers from Lincoln, one for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History and one for modern languages. So assuming at least one of them gets their grades, you shall not be alone!
Original post by Lucius
oooh, the Masterchef contenstants are cooking at one of the colleges next Wednesday :biggrin: 'The world's most iconic university', they called it :cool:

Hey, another Hertford guy :biggrin:
Original post by Lucius

It's at New College! Anyone else with an offer from New a little bit too excited about this? :rolleyes:
Original post by itsmeanna

I've got a friend in Lincoln; it's gorgeous!
Original post by barefootfiona
I've got a friend in Lincoln; it's gorgeous!

And I've got a friend in Jesus

(I don't, but intend to find one so I can carry on making Jesus jokes)
Original post by Lumi Nous

Makin' collegiate wordplay cool LIKE A BOSS :biggrin:
Reply 1018
Original post by Lumi Nous

Apparently every Christmas they get loads of 'Is that Jesus? Happy birthday to you...' phonecalls. :p:
Original post by Oxford ComLab
Quantum is only available to Maths and Comp Sci students; not straight Computer Science students.

There's high-level information about our courses on the admissions site, but if you want to dig into more detail, most of the existing student pages are available publicly. http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/teaching/mcs/ and http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/teaching/bacompsci/
Moderations refer to your first year; Parts A, B & C to the 2nd, 3rd and optional 4th years.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending