The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Columbia, Oxford, Princeton HELP! please

Scroll to see replies

To disagree with Roxas.....if you want a job anywhere in the world....Princeton Princeton Princeton and More Princeton
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
Original post by PKU_Research007
To disagree with Roxas.....if you want a job anywhere in the world....Princeton Princeton Princeton and More Princeton

Well it depends. The Princeton MFin placement isn't any more impressive than an UG Ivy. If you can get sellside out of UG, the MFin won't do anything more for you. A couple people will get some 1 off slots like Citadel. As far as international placement--most people who go to asia offices or London offices already had roots to the respective country/city....so it's not like it will do any more for you in that sense. Meaning, if I was American, i wouldn't use the Princeton MFin to break into London/HK/Zurich.
Original post by thisischris
Hi everyone,

I just signed up to SR, as I really like some of the insights people give about uni choice.

My situation: I applied to 7 unis for a master in finance (or some related program). I received an offer from... all. Now I am in the tough position of deciding where to go. Fortunately, I have managed to cut my options down to:
i) Princeton (Master in Finance) (+) seems very supportive (in all regards) (-) 2 years
ii) Columbia (Master of Arts in Mathematics of Finance) (+) 1 year (-) does not seem very supportive in terms of career services
iii) Oxford (Master in Financial Economics) (+) 1 year (-) UK (done my undergrad in UK, would like a change of scenery)

Please help me out! I only have a week left to decide before the offer deadlines. I would very much appreciate any opinion you can give me. Thank you very much!!:smile:

If I were you, I would choose COLUMBIA.....location...location...location....it is in the heart of NEW YORK...the biggest finance mecca of the world....on top that COLUMBIA BUSINESS SCHOOL is one of the best b-schools.

but try checking whether your course is in the b-school or the economics dept?

moreover columbia is an ivy league, you would def. get a good post degree career service.
Reply 23
Original post by Mrcontroversy
If I were you, I would choose COLUMBIA.....location...location...location....it is in the heart of NEW YORK...the biggest finance mecca of the world....on top that COLUMBIA BUSINESS SCHOOL is one of the best b-schools.

but try checking whether your course is in the b-school or the economics dept?

moreover columbia is an ivy league, you would def. get a good post degree career service.

Are you serious?

Princeton and Columbia are both ivy leagues. Compare the employment stats of Princeton's MFin to a Columbia MA in Math/Fin--leagues apart. Also, the MA Math/Fin isn't even taught at the B school, so that's irrelevant.

As far as location, completely irrelevant. Take this for an example--HBS places 150x better than CBS, yet H is 250 miles from NYC.
Reply 24
Original post by Focus08
Penn?

Wharton doesn't offer an MFin degree.
Reply 25
Original post by adam0311
Wharton doesn't offer an MFin degree.

How are the Braves looking this year? Been to any preseason stuff?
Reply 26
Original post by Focus08
How are the Braves looking this year? Been to any preseason stuff?

I think we've got a good season ahead. Coaching staff has been changed up a bit bc Cox left. They're going to be throwing some rookies around, so it'll be interesting to see if they can pull it off. I haven't been to anything yet, I usually go often once the season really gets going.
Original post by adam0311
Are you serious?

Princeton and Columbia are both ivy leagues. Compare the employment stats of Princeton's MFin to a Columbia MA in Math/Fin--leagues apart. Also, the MA Math/Fin isn't even taught at the B school, so that's irrelevant.

As far as location, completely irrelevant. Take this for an example--HBS places 150x better than CBS, yet H is 250 miles from NYC.

you do have a good point there adam.

Princeton is good for undergrad but I never respected it that much as a postgrad school. but i maybe wrong considering the statistics that you have put forward.
Reply 28
Original post by Mrcontroversy
you do have a good point there adam.

Princeton is good for undergrad but I never respected it that much as a postgrad school. but i maybe wrong considering the statistics that you have put forward.

You are correct in thinking that Princeton is better for UG than post-grad. This is the typical rep that it gets since it doesn't have a law school, b school, or med school. However it does shine in certain areas of post grad (i.e woodrow wilson, the MFin program, etc.).
Actual all of Princetons departments for phDs are top notch, yes they only have 2 professionals schools but for the arts and sciences a phD from Princeton is top notch. HYP usually shower their phD students with nice fellowships, summer stipends, subsidize travel costs. One of my friends teaching at Tsinghua is a pHD student from Yale and flies all over the world including the December climate change conference in Cancun and everything is subsidized by Yale. If I end up doing a phD I'm definitely looking at princeton considering all the great facilities professors and resources for their grad students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending