The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else have this problem with the Desire? When I'm writing a text, it sometimes jumps to the top of the thread of texts to that contact, so I have to scroll right down to the bottom to continue writing. (This takes ages if it's someone I text every day...)

Any ideas how to stop it?
Try using different Message app.
Original post by aliluvschoc
Anyone else have this problem with the Desire? When I'm writing a text, it sometimes jumps to the top of the thread of texts to that contact, so I have to scroll right down to the bottom to continue writing. (This takes ages if it's someone I text every day...)

Any ideas how to stop it?

In my experience, Android does some random weird **** now and then.
If rebooting doesn't solve it you could possibly try to clear all data and the cache under Manage Applications for your message app. You'll lose all your messages though. Do a backup say on Titanium before you do that just in case it doesnt fix it and you want to retrieve your messages (could try backing up your SMSs separately as well if you want).

Personally, I prefer the stock message app over Chomp and Handscent. iPhone bubbles are especially annoying.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by G8D
HANDCENT IS BEST.

Bubbles are optional.

That's the one. Handscent. yeah it's good but I still prefer the stock Android combined with SMS Pop up. That sorts out the shortcomings in the notifications (like privacy, changing vibration etc)
Original post by silent ninja
That's the one. Handscent. yeah it's good but I still prefer the stock Android combined with SMS Pop up. That sorts out the shortcomings in the notifications (like privacy, changing vibration etc)

Headscent is good, but I don't like the fact you get to alerts to the same text. One from headacent and one from the stock android.
Original post by TheCasual
Headscent is good, but I don't like the fact you get to alerts to the same text. One from headacent and one from the stock android.

You need to disable the stock one.
Open it, click menu then settings and untick Notifications.
I recently installed handcent, and to be honest I can't really tell the difference between it and the stock app except that handcent is brown. I only installed it because the default one had a notification problem...
Personally I prefer Go SMS.
Chomps SMS >/~ Handcent>>Stock HTC message app
Original post by Bobifier
I recently installed handcent, and to be honest I can't really tell the difference between it and the stock app except that handcent is brown. I only installed it because the default one had a notification problem...

A lot of people use it because it has the SMS pop up feature, in which SMS messages pop up and let you read and reply to messages the instant you get them no matter what you're doing.

Just noticed one thing majorly sucks on all tablets: there is no multiple user support. Everybody logs in on the same user. That's terrible, you can't leave it on the coffer table for anybody else to use (without signing out of all your apps; no customisation either).

Google need to sort this out. Jobs wants us to buy one tablet each I'm sure. Google get ahead of the game please.

I haven't really thought about that but It has come uup in conversation a couple of times.

I don't really ever have anyone using my phone or previous ipad (hence me never putting locks on my devices) but I always wondered how people who shared the tablet with siblings or family members would manage.

With all of the things these tablets can do, you would think they would let me have a user agent; I guess the OS isn't really made to support it.
Looks like Feeyo's had his hissy fit and is going to get back on it again! :biggrin:
Original post by mikeyd85

Looks like Feeyo's had his hissy fit and is going to get back on it again! :biggrin:

:woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:
So what do you all make of the upcoming Blackberry Playbook having the ability to run Android Apps?
How is this gonna work, I dont get it. Will it just emulate? I mean we just mentioned Chomp and Handscent above, these apps surely can't work on a Blackberry device can they? Games I understand but utilities and everything else, I dont get.

Blackberry are really putting their all in this one. Excellent specs, brand new os, very competitive price and now trying to address the lack of ecosystem, as it were. Definitely one to keep an eye on. Everything so far about the Playbook seems top notch.
(edited 13 years ago)
So what do you all make of the upcoming Blackberry Playbook having the ability to run Android Apps?
How is this gonna work, I dont get it. Will it just emulate? I mean we just mentioned Chomp and Handscent above, these apps surely can't work on a Blackberry device can they? Games I understand but utilities and everything else, I dont get.

Blackberry are really putting their all in this one. Excellent specs, brand new os, very competitive price and now trying to address the lack of ecosystem, as it were. Definitely one to keep an eye on. Everything so far about the Playbook seems top notch.

Unsurprising, quite clever.

They've basically built a sandbox which apps will run within, giving a "high level of API compatibility". I'm not sure if they'll allow main OS function replacement apps like Handcent. Apple do this with iOS, but we'll see. :smile:

Still think that RIM will release an entirely Android device one day.
Unsurprising, quite clever.

They've basically built a sandbox which apps will run within, giving a "high level of API compatibility". I'm not sure if they'll allow main OS function replacement apps like Handcent. Apple do this with iOS, but we'll see. :smile:

Still think that RIM will release an entirely Android device one day.

That would be good. They bring something different to the table imo, despite those incredibly annoying teenage girls who pull out their fancy blackberry every 3 seconds. That image has gotta go!

Also on the Playbook, I wonder how much functionality will depend on having a Blackberry phone. That's a possible deal breaker there.
The upcoming Android tabs look the best to me overall (especially Sammy), but the Playbook is definitely one to look out for.
Must admit, I'm tempted by the iPad 2 tonight... but lack of Flash is just such a deal breaker!
I literally had to rub my eyes and then walk in a straight line to make sure I was tripping balls.

Gingerbread on X10 :zomg:
Original post by yoyo462001
I literally had to rub my eyes and then walk in a straight line to make sure I was tripping balls.

Gingerbread on X10 :zomg:

Haha! Most unexpected announcement ever!
It's weird.
Rewind 6-10 odd years. Sony was the Apple of this world. Cool products. A little overpriced but generally good quality products. Now they've kinda lost the plot. The Playstation Phone looks like it's gonna flop. They cocked up the formidable Playstation dominance. Their smartphones always let down. They don't make plasma tvs (which anyone knows still has the edge on LCD; shame on Pioneer too!) and their low end LCDs are just plain overpriced. Their laptops are a bit flimsy (my cousin sells laptops and he gets the most orders for Vaio parts)*.

Ericcson used to make good phones before Sony came along. Sony-Ericcson has made a good few, classics like the K800i, but they are so inconsistent.

Okay they are not all that bad but no longer an innovator, but one that is always playing catch up.

Still, they sell nice cheap earphones on Amazon. Good value for money they are.

*Quanta make most laptops so I dunno why quality varies... maybe the specs?
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending