The Student Room Group

Hardest ACADEMIC A Level...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Physics/Chem
Wait, Business Studies is academic?

You needed 56% for an A in BUSS3, man.

I'm doing two social sciences and an arts, but by Christ, even I know business studies is NOT that academic.
Reply 22
Where's the option for 'it's entirely subjective and depends on the person'????
Original post by bognor-regis
Re your poll, How exactly can you take Mathematics with AND without Further Maths???lol

Oh LOL.
History.
Original post by Melanie-v

Of the one's I'm doing, Chemistry. It was easy at AS, then BAM, A2 hit me. :frown:

same!!
Reply 26
im good at maths
but i find economics very hard
Reply 27
Chemistry/Maths/Physics - I would vote all 3
Reply 28
Sorry to disappoint but Biology is not simply recall yes the concepts are straight forward but the exam can often be a killer especially if your on AQA.

Concept wise i think maybe chemistry is the hardest because it combines both revision and understanding were as maths can be talent, being good at maths can get you a good grade same with physics and if your good at remembering stuff Biology can be your advantage. But some people are lazy and can't revise but are generally good at maths so they breeze through it.

Therefore in my opinion Chemistry is the hardest.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
I chose Chemistry - Chemistry far less difficult as a subject than Physics IMHO, but Chemistry at A level is without a doubt the hardest exam.
Chemistry! The exams are ridiculous especially if you're doing OCR Salters. A2 Chemistry includes everything at AS (concepts are reintroduced) so you're basically learning AS all over again on top of A2. Also, you carry out a 3/4 week investigation and write up 40 pages and if your investigation results are wrong, you're pretty much screwed. It has literally been one of the most stressful things ever. Chemistry is both difficult and demanding at A-level, whereas some subjects are just demanding, or just difficult. Hope that makes sense.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bubbles2010
same!!

Better hope there's not to much Chemistry in your med course then. I just saw you're firming Cambridge - what college?
Also picking Chemistry. It's the massive jump up from AS to A2 and the son-of-a-bitch organics. And pH calculations *shudder* And period 3 metals. But mainly organics. Bah, just all of it. Horrible stuff. I hate carbon molecules. Stupid 12 MR little gits. :mad:
Classical Greek :cry2: Conceptually harder than Physics and Maths, with a workload bigger than history. :cry: fml
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
History at the best of times makes the brain hurt
**** you synoptic learning.
I am really surprised to see so many people voting Chemistry- for me it is the easiest science subject to revise for as you can preempt lots of the questions. Chemistry is more of a case of consolidating principles whilst Biology A level exams can be much more synoptic, requiring greater application. This is all OCR though so with other exam boards it may be completely different....

Better hope there's not to much Chemistry in your med course then. I just saw you're firming Cambridge - what college?

haha, i love chemistry, it's just unit 5 doing my head in! (too much colours of complexes to learn!)
:smile: yeahh, college is murray edwards :biggrin:
Reply 37
I hear Chemistry is pretty brutal but I've never done it.
Reply 38
Original post by mooniibuggy

Original post by mooniibuggy
Chemistry! The exams are ridiculous especially if you're doing OCR Salters. A2 Chemistry includes everything at AS (concepts are reintroduced) so you're basically learning AS all over again on top of A2. Also, you carry out a 3/4 week investigation and write up 40 pages and if your investigation results are wrong, you're pretty much screwed. It has literally been one of the most stressful things ever. Chemistry is both difficult and demanding at A-level, whereas some subjects are just demanding, or just difficult. Hope that makes sense.

40 Pages?!?

You've got it easy, i'm on 40 pages at the moment and still on the analysis! :biggrin:

Some fella did 120 pages last year, though 40 were graphs :teeth:
Reply 39
Languages would be the toughest for me, but the consensus in my school (based on what I've heard others say) is that physics is the worst.

Quick Reply

Latest