The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by n1r4v
I agree... not in that attractiveness is the be all and end all of life but it definitely improves people's responses and treatment of you and probably increases "happiness". TSR is notoriously embarrassing in that it seems commonplace to avoid or dispute blatantly obvious facts just so people aren't offended; so I wouldn't count on people agreeing with you.

As I mentioned in my OP, we live in one of the most superficial, vain, image conscious societies on the planet yet those who are most affected by this (teenage girls) tend to be the same ones saying "it's what's on the inside that counts and people will love you for who you are" etc. whilst secretly fantasizing over the figure of a catwalk model. The hypocrisy is unreal.
Reply 81
Original post by Brutal Honesty
Yes but the fact more superficial societies tend to have significantly higher rates of eating disorders (and among certain subgroups) indicates that societal pressures do have a significant effect on this. It's no coincidence it's far more prevalent among those who are most hedonistic and self-indulgent in our society (teenagers, middle class girls in particular).

correlation doesn't equal causation.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

Original post by GodspeedGehenna
So what?

See:

It is the result of the person obsessing over body image which turns into an eating disorder. It's this obsessing which is vanity. Back in the 1950s that sort of vanity would have been taboo and discouraged but nowadays it is encouraged so eating disorders have sky rocketed.
As I mentioned in my OP, we live in one of the most superficial, vain, image conscious societies on the planet yet those who are most affected by this (teenage girls) tend to be the same ones saying "it's what's on the inside that counts and people will love you for who you are" etc. whilst secretly fantasizing over the figure of a catwalk model. The hypocrisy is unreal.

My ED tells me that everyone else is loved for who they are but that I will never be good enough. It tells me that whilst everyone else is wonderful, I'm nothing.
Original post by meiming8

Original post by meiming8
correlation doesn't equal causation.

That's a pathetic post. It clearly shows there is a link, much like the link between smoking and lung cancer. Give me a break.
Original post by ellakrystina
There is a difference between whiney, attention-seeking bitches and those who genuinely have mental illnesses.

Agreed. A huge diffrence, my sister has had an eating disorder for years now and it has affected our lives so much :frown:, OP really brutal way of looking at things. It is classified as a mental illness and i doubt you would be saying that if a loved one or yourself suffered from one.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
My ED tells me that everyone else is loved for who they are but that I will never be good enough. It tells me that whilst everyone else is wonderful, I'm nothing.

That ED came from TV, magazines and most likely the major influence came from your peers, other girls. If you didn't give a **** about what others thought of you this wouldn't happen. Clearly you don't believe what your ED says so acting on it is stupid.
Reply 87
As I mentioned in my OP, we live in one of the most superficial, vain, image conscious societies on the planet yet those who are most affected by this (teenage girls) tend to be the same ones saying "it's what's on the inside that counts and people will love you for who you are" etc. whilst secretly fantasizing over the figure of a catwalk model.

First of all, I agree with what most people have said regarding your understanding of eating disorders and I can see why people would find that offensive. However I'm going to assume you meant girls who are extremely vain and superficial and ignore the "eating disorder" aspect of your OP.

I think if the eating disorder aspect was ignored, the main issue people would have with your OP is that you're "generalising" and after being on TSR for a while, the thing that members complain and whine about the most are generalisations (and ironically it's usually these angsty teenage girls who cry about generalisations the most). Some girls are like what you described but not all (obviously); it's the proportion which is under scrutiny, and unfortunately difficult to find out unless there are some statistics on offer.

But it's not necessarily a bad thing; I think what's happened is that they what to uphold some sense of "morality" by asserting that "it's what's on the inside that counts and people will love you for who you are". But they are simultaneously aware about the fact that attractive females have it far better than their unattractive counterparts, and with this realisation they probably strive to make themselves more attractive. They probably value personality / what's on the inside, yet are cognisant of the harsh facts of life.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 88
That's a pathetic post. It clearly shows there is a link, much like the link between smoking and lung cancer. Give me a break.

That's completely untrue. You can't just assume two things are linked without research. From your post, you've just assumed that they're linked from common sense. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your comment, I'm just saying that your justification is, from a statistical point of view, wrong.
Reply 89
It's a psychological disorder. It ruins peoples lifes and you come along and post a thread like this? You should be ashamed of yourself.
I was reading this thread and surprise surprise there were plenty of apparently slim girls whining about how fat they are and taking the contradictory stance of knowing they shouldn't be worried about their weight but they still are. Defies all logic. Then they tell other girls they "look fantastic and have an amazing body and any guy would die to go out with you" whilst drowning in self pity about their own body. The UK is incredibly hypocritical in this regard, the same women who are constantly fussing over their weight, diet and body are the same women who tell others "beauty is in the inside". Eating disorders are the product of a superficial, vain lifestyle which is why middle class girls are the ones starving themselves so they can look like their heroes whereas in China and Japan the women are concentrating on important stuff like making the world a more prosperous, scientifically advanced place rather than spending hours flicking through glossy magazines.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a :yy: to girls who don't make a big fuss about their appearance and constantly attention seek unlike the eating disorder society who seem to be full of narcissistic self indulgent queens who are willing to endanger their health to look sexually attractive.

I had an eating dissorder last summer, it was brought on from a previous ilness not because i wanted to look 'sexually attractive' i was happy with my body before, i didnt need to loose weight, it was just how things happend which i developed an eating dissorder then rapily lost weight after that, so id appreciate it if you kept your comments to yourself.
Original post by mclovin123

Original post by mclovin123
Agreed. A huge diffrence, my sister has had an eating disorder for years now and it has affected our lives so much :frown:, OP really brutal way of looking at things. It is classified as a mental illness and i doubt you would be saying that if a loved one or yourself suffered from one.

I bet your sister is a middle class teenager. The fact it's made you feel bad doesn't warrant giving her any sympathy. I bet if your dad was an alcoholic you'd be worse affected but I still wouldn't think your dad is a decent person for failing to act responsibly.
That ED came from TV, magazines and most likely the major influence came from your peers, other girls. If you didn't give a **** about what others thought of you this wouldn't happen. Clearly you don't believe what your ED says so acting on it is stupid.

No. You're wrong.

Grow up. Think about what you're saying. You're spreading lies about ill people who need support. Who need people to understand that what they feel is real.

You're so disgusting. Getting your fun from laughing at ill people.
Original post by BeanofJelly
If eating disorders were some kind of personal flaw, deserving of no sympathy, wouldn't they be evenly distributed amongst populations? Wouldn't there be as many Japanese "narcissists" as Europeans?

You're contradicting yourself, unless you're trying to argue some kind of innate ethnic superiority.

Obviously something about western society makes girls feel an act in a worrying way when it comes to their diet and weight. (It's not difficult to a guess what, unless say, you're an idiot) That isn't a reason to "blame" them personally. An eating disorder isn't something you choose to have, it's something that creeps its way into your head and takes over your life. It's a mental illness, to not be sympathetic is to be ignorant. It reflects badly on you and noone else.

Surely the fact that such eating disorders are so unevenly distributed across the world implies that it isn't an actual randomly occurring mental illness, but something to do with the society people are brought up in?

For example, in Western society there are cultural pressures for women to be thin, and so these particular eating disorders are most commonly found in women living in a Western society.
Whereas if you consider some other culture, all those Asian "narcissists" are not going to have the same eating disorder, because there is far less of a cultural pressure for women to be thin. Rather than trying to be thin, they might take something else to the extreme, depending on what cultural pressures exist in their society. For example, many Chinese women would bind their feet in the attempt to make themselves look more attractive (sometimes causing disability).

In my opinion, the problem is not a case of "I have an mental illness which forces me to starve myself". The problem is more a case of "I attempt to make myself meet certain cultural standards, and go to extreme lengths to do so". Whether or not this is an actual mental illness is really a case of definition and semantics.
I'm not really sure where people are drawing the line between something actually being a mental illness, and just being over-zealous in one's attempts to meet standards. Who's to say that bulimia is a mental illness, but foot-binding isn't?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
Brutal Honesty is clearly a Daily Mail reader. What ridiculous, hateful bile.
Reply 95
I was reading this thread and surprise surprise there were plenty of apparently slim girls whining about how fat they are and taking the contradictory stance of knowing they shouldn't be worried about their weight but they still are. Defies all logic. Then they tell other girls they "look fantastic and have an amazing body and any guy would die to go out with you" whilst drowning in self pity about their own body. The UK is incredibly hypocritical in this regard, the same women who are constantly fussing over their weight, diet and body are the same women who tell others "beauty is in the inside". Eating disorders are the product of a superficial, vain lifestyle which is why middle class girls are the ones starving themselves so they can look like their heroes whereas in China and Japan the women are concentrating on important stuff like making the world a more prosperous, scientifically advanced place rather than spending hours flicking through glossy magazines.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a :yy: to girls who don't make a big fuss about their appearance and constantly attention seek unlike the eating disorder society who seem to be full of narcissistic self indulgent queens who are willing to endanger their health to look sexually attractive.

People with EDs have a mental illness, it's not about attention. Whilst I agree that the skeletor look isn't attractive in the slightest, anorexic girls cannot help it. Just like cancer or diabetes, it's an illness which must be treated, and ignorance of mental health issues needs to be erradicated.

And what's wrong with caring about your appearance? I take a lot of care over mine, I enjoy it - I don't starve myself or diet, so what's your problem? I just like to look nice. :dontknow: And stop knocking middle class people.
(edited 13 years ago)
To thread viewers, my opening post:

Post soon after:

This gets two replies:

I bet a million pounds these girls have some sort of body image issue which I've listed in the OP. Anyone want next weeks lottery numbers?

When I was talking about her 'awkward teenager phase' I meant all the know it all Oxbridge stuff :smile:
So because I said she should prize her good points above looks...it reflects badly on me? I can assure you it's a pretty popular viewpoint. Some people even lie about it!
This thread reminds me of a little thing called ignorance...
I bet your sister is a middle class teenager. The fact it's made you feel bad doesn't warrant giving her any sympathy. I bet if your dad was an alcoholic you'd be worse affected but I still wouldn't think your dad is a decent person for failing to act responsibly.

LOL BOOOOM DOUBLE WAHMMY yes sir my father is actually a recovering alchaholic. And no my sister is not a middle class teenager, she is 27 years of age and is finding it hard to get enough money in to pay bills and rent ect so you sir can **** off :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
And thats why you will never be a man

Latest

Trending

Trending