The Student Room Group

Subjects you wish you had chosen to study, but didn't

I sometimes think to myself how much I would love to be studying physics at university. I just find it so interesting and I'm jealous of some of my friends who study science subjects. I blame my old school, in a way. I only achieved a B at GCSE physics, and I got the impression from my teachers that only the very best students would cope with it at A-level, so I was discouraged from taking it. Now I realise that that was a load of ****, as people develop intellectually at different speeds. Ah well.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Grass is always greener etc
Reply 2
Wish I had never picked Biology and Chemistry at A Level and had picked History and Drama instead. Damn my dentist dream :shakefist:
Original post by electriic_ink
Grass is always greener etc

True, but I still wish I was doing Maths over Biomedical Science.
Reply 4
For A-Levels I wish I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and then Computer Science at University. But I'm not going to complain as you can't anticipate how life turns out.
Reply 5
Maybe you could study it after uni by taking up another degree/getting another qualification? A friend of mine who did BA French and Spanish and I think postgrad translation recently realised how much she's interested in Psychology.
Reply 6
I wish I'd carried on with History and taken Government & Politics at A Level
The thing I loved most about doing Music at Oxford was the interdisciplinary nature of everything. It meant I did bits of literature, history, anthropology, psychology, sociology, drama. It was great. So for the most part I didn't miss other subjects or feel like I was missing out.

I did miss Shakespeare and Chaucer a fair bit though. That got fixed with an enforced sabbatical term of doing medieval mystery plays though. Epic win all round :awesome:
Reply 8
I wish I hadn't dropped Maths after AS level. I coped pretty well at A2 and so could probably have managed Maths as well. It would have helped with my chosen degree subject as well. Never mind. It's done too late to worry now!
I wish I could have picked A level History, but it clashed on my college's timetable with English Lit. Ultimately, it was the latter I wanted to do at university so Lit won.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
I wish i did chem at A-Level
Reply 11
Wish I had done an engineering degree =/
Reply 12
Reapplied through UCAS in my first year of another degree to go and study architecture. Got the offers, gutted i didnt take them.
Reply 13
Original post by reviresco
Reapplied through UCAS in my first year of another degree to go and study architecture. Got the offers, gutted i didnt take them.

At what point in your first year did in apply?
Reply 14
Original post by Teveth
At what point in your first year did in apply?

Just before the deadline, mid Jan.
I haven't started study at university yet, but I'm going to study Physics in September. I always loved the idea of medicine but I never thought I'd be clever enough. I'm seriously considering GEM after my degree. Follow your dreams and all that stuff :smile:
Reply 16
Maths A level....a first class physics degree took a hellish amount of work without it.
I'm happy with all the subjects I did study, but if only I'd had the time I would ideally also have done A levels in Philosophy & Ethics, Psychology and German, and Art up to A2 level.
Reply 18
Wish i'd done philosophy, if only at A-level. I love my degree (maths and physics) but there's a part of me that wonders how things would've turned out if i took a completely different route.

Ah well, i manage to read up on it in my spare time anyway.
Wish Id taken Politics or Law at A Level :rolleyes: never mind! Everything happens for a reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending