The Student Room Group

Maths A-level: Want to start an online study group? (e.g. through Skype)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dannyking

* Are you all OK to use Skype?
* Shall we meet once a week? If so, when? How about Sundays?
* What topic shall we start with? Something from Core 1?

Skype and Sundays seems OK. :smile:
The time matters though since all of us do not live in the same time zones.

Yeah, I think we should start with a topic that is manageable and then work our way into the challenging ones. This probably can give us some confidence.
Reply 21
I love this idea...
I need help in core 2 (OCR)
I hope this works well...so when does it start and how? :biggrin:
Reply 22

Yes Skype is fine, I have an account.
Sunday sounds good
I'd like to start with something from Core 2 because I'm struggling with some of the topics in there. :smile:
Reply 23
Hey Agent, glad to have you on board! Keep in touch. :smile:
Hey everyone, first post.

I'm going to be re-sitting all 6 modules of my Maths A-level this Summer (May & June). Since I'm re-sitting I don't have people to work with on this.

Does anyone want to start an online study group to make the revision a bit more interesting? I was thinking of meeting e.g. weekly on Skype and talking through whatever topic we'd decided to work on that week.

The modules I'm revising are C1, C2, C3, C4, D1 & D2. Happy to work on any of these collaboratively and also happy to work with a group or just one person, if anyone is looking for the same thing.

The main reason I'd like to do this is for motivation: if we set weekly goals and then meet up and talk about it, I'll be much more likely to get everything I wanted to do done!

Anyone interested? :smile:

This is a really really cool idea! I've already done my a-levels but just thought i'd commend you for taking such initiative! :smile:. also if you need any help with maths give me a shout. I'm currently unemployed and have nothing better to do with my life.
Reply 25
Hey Rishz, nice to hear from you. So as to how it works: not sure yet! I'll wait to hear what everyone thinks, but if they agree we'll just all agree a time to meet on Skype and talk about problems & solutions. I find some parts of C2 hard too, I'm sure we can work them out!

Basically the whole point is to encourage each other to want to study more. We'll be more likely to want to study if we know we're supposed to be talking about it later. Also teaching each other is a really good way of learning.

Plum: yeah you're right about the choice of time being important. What is your timezone? I'm actually living in Barcelona this year (I'm normally in the UK) so I also have a different time zone (GMT+1).
Reply 26
Original post by blue_shift86
This is a really really cool idea! I've already done my a-levels but just thought i'd commend you for taking such initiative! :smile:. also if you need any help with maths give me a shout. I'm currently unemployed and have nothing better to do with my life.

Thanks Blue, I appreciate that!
I'm definitely in. I'm a home student and going to sit C3, C4 and M2 this summer.

I live in Spain so as someone said before, it's a different time zone but it's just an hour, no big deal. Sunday and Skype sound perfect to me as well.

Dannyking, you came up with such a great idea. Let's keep in touch.
Reply 28
OK time to get things moving!

I suggest we all meet on Skype at 9-10pm GMT (UK time) on Sunday 3rd. That's not this Sunday, but next Sunday.

For a topic, how about we all do a Core 2 past paper and discuss it together?

E.g. Jan 2007 paper:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/Maths/45_C2_January_2006.doc

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/Maths/C2_January_2006_Mark_Scheme.doc

If you can't do those times or think a different topic is better, just say and we'll work it out.

Post "I'm in" or whatever if you want to attend the meeting on Sunday!
Reply 29
I agree with Sunday!
Is there anything else I can do? Since I wouldn't get these questions (except two of them) on my upcoming exams. :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Which topics would you get on your exams plum?
I will be VERY interested For the exam preparation/going through some hard questions....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Which topics would you get on your exams plum?

The topics are listed under C1 to C4... There are four exceptions
There are other topics that you didn't mention.
Reply 33
Original post by Soppe

Original post by Soppe
I will be VERY interested For the exam preparation/going through some hard questions....

Sounds good, do you have any questions in mind? Which modules were you thinking of?
Reply 34
Hey everyone,

Loads of interest - that's great! If anyone else is interested just say hello.

OK so let's try and get things moving then. So I've had a think about the best way to do this online. Weekly meetings seems like a good interval, what do you guys think? I suggest maybe meeting for one hour... maybe on Sundays? Post the day(s) you would prefer if you agree!

So, how to told the meetings. Since at least half of us have Skype that might be a good option. Voice or text chat should be OK. For those of you without Skype it's really easy to get at Skype.com - you just download it and make an account then add people (I'm d.a.l.king). If you want to chat with voice you'll need a mic. If anyone would prefer not to use Skype, just say and we'll see if we can find another way.

So that will be fine for talking about the maths theory and giving tips, etc. But if we want to work through specific examples we need something to draw/write on. I found http://flockdraw.com which let's you create a group whiteboard which we can all see & draw on together. We could write out problems and do them together on there, although that means drawing with your mouse so not ideal! I have a little pen I can use which makes it easier for me, but not you guys! Another option would be using a forum (like this one) and using the LaTeX maths notation... but that takes a lot longer to express yourself with so could be annoying in a 1-hour meeting.

EDIT I just discovered http://www.twiddla.com which (like flockdraw) is an online collaborate whiteboard but it supports LaTeX maths formulae so that looks like a really good option!

Lastly, I think we should all agree on a topic (maybe two) each week, then work seperatly on understanding/revising it. Then at the end of the week talk about it together, asking each other for help with tough problems/misunderstandings, giving tips, etc.

So what do you guys think?

great idea! definitely in! Will pm my skype name.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sounds good, do you have any questions in mind? Which modules were you thinking of?

I'm going on holiday soon, so can't do much in early April...

But for me it's really c4 and D1
I'm self studying, so it's a good idea. I'm doing CIE Maths and Further Maths, but it covers pretty much all of edexcel and a bit more.
Reply 37
This sounds like a great idea. I'll join in if that's alright with everyone (I'm only Y10, but have self-studied to 100% on AQA C1 and C2 and have learnt pretty much all of C3 and C4 apart from some integration and series stuff). Are we doing a specific past paper, or just any old C2 one?
Reply 38
@gunmetalpanda: Great, welcome to the group!

@hrickards: Be delighted to have you join. I suggest this paper:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...nuary_2006.doc

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...ark_Scheme.doc

but I'm open to suggestions.

Also if anyone wants to meet before that Sunday to revise a topic ond on one with me (or anyone else I guess) just get in touch
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
72/75 :| Okay for a tired performance on a Thursday evening I suppose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending