The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Agreed, I swear you go on a year abroad for one year. Plus, Oxford has long holidays = more time abroad.

:lolwut:

I call bull****.

They definitely go on a year abroad. I know several people who have done so. That's not to say you're made to stay in the same place if you do two languages, or even if you only do one.

I don't call people liars or trolls easily but there's def something not quite right about that story :nah:
Reply 241
Someone in my year is rejecting Cambridge medicine for UCL.

If I got in for CS I probably wouldn't have gone to Cambridge since I like the course at Southampton and Bristol more.
(edited 13 years ago)
I know someone who got rejected post int, though before the rejection came through they said if they got an offer they dont think they'd take it.
Reply 243
My dad had to decline an offer from cambridge, as he couldn't afford to go (this was the 1970s and he was an international student). Not really relevant being 40 years ago, but yea...
Reply 244
Original post by LettersFromTheSky
I know someone who got rejected post int, though before the rejection came through they said if they got an offer they dont think they'd take it.

A lot of people say that because they think they're going to get rejected anyway. What people say they would do and what they actually do are very different things.
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
Yes.

Well, past me has spoken.

Why does this thread keep getting resurrected?
My friend did for Cambridge.

Wanted Computer Science and chose Imperial College instead as it is better.
I know someone who rejected an offer because they found the whole setup too pompous. They decided to go to Sheffield in the end. Right now they're doing a PhD, but I can't recall where.
Reply 248
Yes, my Chem teacher rejected. She said all her life she had been in all girls schools and at that time she did not want to be in an all girl hall, also she didn't want to live by curfews that were set by Oxford at that time.

She did however tell us some really interesting questions she got at interview :biggrin:
My neighbour Joe. Awesome guy.
Well, past me has spoken.

Why does this thread keep getting resurrected?

'Cos you keep resurrecting it. :p:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
'Cos you keep resurrecting it. :p:

Stop bumping it fool!
Stop bumping it fool!

Oh what, you mean stop posting on the thread? :p:

This thread has gone on for far too long, though. :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Zottula
A lot of people say that because they think they're going to get rejected anyway. What people say they would do and what they actually do are very different things.

Person in question was confident of an offer though, and I think the main reason for not going was money.

Person in question was confident of an offer though, and I think the main reason for not going was money.

That has to be the most stupid reason for not going as the bursary system within Oxford and Cambridge are very generous, and arguably more so than other universities.
Reply 255
My new Geography teacher got into Oxford but she decided to go with Portsmouth instead, she said she liked the atmosphere better :party2:

Really? That's an odd reason not to go. ****-huge bursaries. I got £10K :awesome:
Reply 257

:s-smilie: well ok. If that's what they said. I'm not gonna shoot the messenger. They did get rejected though, so you dunno what they'd actually do.
Reply 258
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Really? That's an odd reason not to go. ****-huge bursaries. I got £10K :awesome:

Wow. That's a nice sum of money.
Original post by Zottula
Wow. That's a nice sum of money.

It was indeed :awesome:

Manchester also offered me a good bursary but I wouldn't have got it because it requires you to get 3 As :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending