The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4100
Original post by Vinchenko
Which university?? Some will have strict rules about this, try checking FAQs on faculty website, others you may just need to give an email. Can't hurt to ask, in any case! Why would you want to change, out of interest?

Warwick :smile:
nopes I really like the course but my parents dont want to spend a year of extra tuition fee (especially since I'm an international!)
Reply 4101
Guys, I need help chosing my last university choice. I already applied to 4 unis few months ago and I have one more option to fill in. I am confused between the following:
Sussex, Newcastle, York, Lancaster, City University and SOAS.
What do you think? I am looking into a good reputation and at the same time a place with lots of things to do. I am especially concerned about the uni's student union.
Thanks!! :biggrin:
Original post by Juman111
Guys, I need help chosing my last university choice. I already applied to 4 unis few months ago and I have one more option to fill in. I am confused between the following:
What do you think? I am looking into a good reputation and at the same time a place with lots of things to do. I am especially concerned about the uni's student union.

York, Newcastle and SOAS probably have the best reputations out of all those, and SOAS the best job prospects (because of it's location). In terms of nightlife, I'd say Newcastle and SOAS over York, but York has the historical, old building city feel to it (although I think the campus itself if quite modern). Can't say about the student unions.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 2011law
Warwick :smile:
nopes I really like the course but my parents dont want to spend a year of extra tuition fee (especially since I'm an international!)

Year abroad almost NEVER in my experience requires tuition fees, especially if the YA is to another country within Europe, that is definitely something worth checking on! If it is an Erasmus scheme, I believe it is the country you are studying in before going abroad not your nationality that is counted, though you would have to check all of this obviously - I'm just saying I find it highly unlikely you'll have to pay full tuition fees for the year abroad. In fact, if you qualify for a full erasmus grant then even your living costs abroad are paid for...I don't know how that works out with international students though, but it's certainly worth looking in to. If you still want to change, I know Warwick have been very flexible (in other subjects) for my friends, so it certainly wouldn't do any harm to ask!

Assuming home/EU student, at least some of those courses are already effectively closed to new applicants (not accepting UCAS extra, therefore very small chance of even having remaining places) and seeing as this is so far after the deadline, I VERY much doubt that somewhere as oversubscribed as SOAS would be willing to even consider a late March applicant (they won't be able to tell whether you've just sent off your application or if you've just added a 5th choice). Some of the less pretigious places on that list MIGHT be willing to consider you, but bear in mind law is a hugely competitive subject at every level and we are well past the equal consideration deadline of Jan 15th - also, remember that this is the most competitve year ever for university applications.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QGtfKwkM1_--ilUeu8Rw2G0VTJ5iq-Vlx_/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=392&word=LAW&single=Y

This is the UCAS course search results for straight law for home/eu students. An X means they ARE accepting extra applications, C means absolutely closed under all circumstances.
Reply 4105
KCL LLB Offer
Conditional AAAB

seriously over the moon! :biggrin:
Original post by yilyn
KCL LLB Offer
Conditional AAAB

Wow, well done!
Really pleased for you - I know you've been in the process a long time! :biggrin:
Reply 4107
Original post by Lacrimosa
Wow, well done!
Really pleased for you - I know you've been in the process a long time! :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin: Yes, a long gruelsome process. Really glad its a happy ending despite the two rejections.
Reply 4108
Oh yeah I know those rules but I am an international student :wink:
thanks though!

Assuming home/EU student, at least some of those courses are already effectively closed to new applicants (not accepting UCAS extra, therefore very small chance of even having remaining places) and seeing as this is so far after the deadline, I VERY much doubt that somewhere as oversubscribed as SOAS would be willing to even consider a late March applicant (they won't be able to tell whether you've just sent off your application or if you've just added a 5th choice). Some of the less pretigious places on that list MIGHT be willing to consider you, but bear in mind law is a hugely competitive subject at every level and we are well past the equal consideration deadline of Jan 15th - also, remember that this is the most competitve year ever for university applications.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QGtfKwkM1_--ilUeu8Rw2G0VTJ5iq-Vlx_/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=392&word=LAW&single=Y

This is the UCAS course search results for straight law for home/eu students. An X means they ARE accepting extra applications, C means absolutely closed under all circumstances.
I just got a Law offer from LSE!! :smile: A*AA
Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
I just got a Law offer from LSE!! :smile: A*AA

well done!!, do u go to a private skl or state??
Can anyone comment on LSE vs Queen Mary for Law?
the guardian rankings table shows QM as 3rd after Oxbridge?!?
Original post by michael11

im going to queen mary and i can assure you lse is better.

LSE lol ... no question

LEAGUE TABLES DO NOT TELL THE WHOLE STORY
Original post by rtzj00
well done!!, do u go to a private skl or state??

Thank you so much :smile:

I go to a state school (in Hackney as well LOL!)
Reply 4115
Year abroad almost NEVER in my experience requires tuition fees, especially if the YA is to another country within Europe, that is definitely something worth checking on! If it is an Erasmus scheme, I believe it is the country you are studying in before going abroad not your nationality that is counted, though you would have to check all of this obviously - I'm just saying I find it highly unlikely you'll have to pay full tuition fees for the year abroad. In fact, if you qualify for a full erasmus grant then even your living costs abroad are paid for...I don't know how that works out with international students though, but it's certainly worth looking in to. If you still want to change, I know Warwick have been very flexible (in other subjects) for my friends, so it certainly wouldn't do any harm to ask!

Thanks sos much! I will try asking then :smile:
How's your application process going so far?
Reply 4116
Original post by yilyn
KCL LLB Offer
Conditional AAAB

Well done!!!! I'm so pleased for u, its an amazing uni :P
Reply 4117
Original post by sam_93
Well done!!!! I'm so pleased for u, its an amazing uni :P

Thank you! Time to work hard for the grades. :biggrin:

That particular guardian ranking requires language that would have me blocked on here - frankly, it is utter bull****. LSE is INFINITELY better in terms of teaching, employment opportunities, extracurricular opportunities...pretty much any measure you care to mention! Try using a different league table - I prefer The Times, but it's paid-for only - see if you can find one in a library or something.
Oh yeah I know those rules but I am an international student :wink:
thanks though!

Well most of those places would probably at least consider your application, but again bear in mind they will almost certainly be very full already! Again, past equal consideration deadline, and some places such as Oxbridge and Warwick absolutely will not even consider. Out of those? SOAS every time, amazing place, give you a very different university experience and make you fairly unique as a law graduate.

Latest

Trending

Trending