The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by tite23
Hey, that's why I want to apply to Oxford! Sorry if this is kinda late! And yeah, it was so cool when I found out that Jordan was based off of Exeter (did you go to the Exeter website?). I'm from the USA, and England has always seemed kinda... alluring to me, Oxford doubly so ever since reading The Golden Compass - or, I guess you guys call it The Northern Lights?

Just had to vent my despising of the fact that they changed the title for the US market. Where exactly is this golden compass in the book? It's a bleeding Alethiometer!

/rant.

Don't take that in any way personally though, applying for English makes you rather awesome, although anyone having the term "useless" in the same sentence as English may well have been brainwashed. :frown:
Original post by tite23
I know, right? He made it seem magical. I'm applying for English... also inspired (in part) by Pullman, as I've always loved literature and language but thought it would be silly to study something so "useless". How 'bout you? :biggrin:

Maths :danceboy:

Original post by Speedy03
Just had to vent my despising of the fact that they changed the title for the US market. Where exactly is this golden compass in the book? It's a bleeding Alethiometer!

/rant.

I so agree! It's just patronising the American market, really - it's like how they called 'HP and the Philosopher's Stone' 'HP and the Sorcerer's Stone'. It's missing the whole point. :'(
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Hey, I have an offer for French for 2011 if you have any questions about interviews/tests, feel free to ask :smile:

For some reason, Oxford languages applicants seem pretty scarce =S

Oh thank you I'll bear that in mind if I have any other questions :yep:

I know... I don't understand why. For me, languages are the greatest thing since... well, I was going to say sliced bread, but I'm pretty sure they were around before then. :tongue:
Original post by BJack
It doesn't really matter which college you choose. Or, rather, the available information is not (and cannot be) enough for you to make an informed decision about which college would be best for you.

Just pick one you like the look of. If you think college accommodation for all years sounds good, pick one offering that; if small sounds good, pick somewhere small.... You get the idea. Once you've narrowed down your choice, visit the remaining ones and apply to the one that "feels right".

Ok, thank you very much :smile:
Original post by irina793
Well, I'm applying for fine art and although I'm not 100% sure, I think I'll be choosing Christ Church because: I like the look of it, the architecture is amazing + it has an art room, being, as far as I know, the only college with an art room + it has a fine art tutor (not all colleges have fine art tutors, even if they admit fine art students) + it admits 2 fine art undergraduates each year, and I would prefer, if at all possible, not to be the only fine art undergraduate of my year in the college + you can stay in the college throughout the duration of your course... and now the stupid reason: when I was little (10-11 years old) I was obsessed with harry potter and all I wanted to do was to go to Hogwarts and obviously I didn't :biggrin: and the great hall of Hogwarts is actually the great hall of Christ Church, so I guess, in a way, I'm trying to make my childhood wish come true :lolz:

Aha :biggrin: I was thinking about Christ Church for exactly that reason :cool:
Reply 185
Original post by anyone_can_fly

I so agree! It's just patronising the American market, really - it's like how they called 'HP and the Philosopher's Stone' 'HP and the Sorcerer's Stone'. It's missing the whole point. :'(

Because these people on the other side of this ocean don't know what 'philosophy' is... : l Stupid publishers!

In related news, i hadn't realised ChristChurch was the Hogwarts' great hall, may have just shot up my list slightly....
Reply 186
Original post by anyone_can_fly

What bugged me about the harry potter thing was, it wasn't like JK Rowling invented this whole magical stone business. The Philosopher's Stone is a well-known legend - even Newton was after it. Plus theres a street in Paris which has a sign saying "this was the house of nicolas flamel." So why change something which had lots of real-world mythical overtones to a made up Americanism???

UGH
Reply 187

/rant.

Don't take that in any way personally though, applying for English makes you rather awesome, although anyone having the term "useless" in the same sentence as English may well have been brainwashed. :frown:

Wanna know something funny? The editor who caused the Philosopher's Stone (which made sense) to be called the Sorcerer's Stone (which didn't make sense) was the same editor who changed the Northern Lights (which made sense) to the Golden Compass (which...didn't make sense). Before I found out that it's real name was Northern Lights, I always wondered why it mentioned a compass.... I mean, the alethiometer wasn't even that huge a part of the story, for the whole thing to be named after it.

And about the "useless" thing, I used to be terrified to admit I wanted to be a writer lol.
Reply 188
Because these people on the other side of this ocean don't know what 'philosophy' is... : l Stupid publishers!

Yeah, what does 'philosophy' mean, anyways?
Reply 189
Original post by irina793
Well, I'm applying for fine art and although I'm not 100% sure, I think I'll be choosing Christ Church because: I like the look of it, the architecture is amazing + it has an art room, being, as far as I know, the only college with an art room + it has a fine art tutor (not all colleges have fine art tutors, even if they admit fine art students) + it admits 2 fine art undergraduates each year, and I would prefer, if at all possible, not to be the only fine art undergraduate of my year in the college + you can stay in the college throughout the duration of your course... and now the stupid reason: when I was little (10-11 years old) I was obsessed with harry potter and all I wanted to do was to go to Hogwarts and obviously I didn't :biggrin: and the great hall of Hogwarts is actually the great hall of Christ Church, so I guess, in a way, I'm trying to make my childhood wish come true :lolz:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that the great hall scenes were filmed in Keble because Christ Church refused to remove their portraits for filming. At least, that's what I was told.

Also, props to everyone considering applying to Exeter College - excellent choice!
Original post by eliotball
Maths and Computer Science. The pooling thing is good because Magdalen is not exactly the least prestigious college is it? :P

Hehe true...Magdalen is one of the oldest and it's certainly gorgeous. Have you been planning on making a visit?
Original post by Bax-man
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that the great hall scenes were filmed in Keble because Christ Church refused to remove their portraits for filming. At least, that's what I was told.

Also, props to everyone considering applying to Exeter College - excellent choice!

http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/visiting/harry-potter
"Many of the scenes in the Harry Potter feature films are shot in various locations of the College and as you walk around the cloisters and quadrangles it is easy to see why. " but you are partially right:"The Great Hall was replicated in the film studios to create Hogwart's Hall"
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
Hey everyone)) I'll apply to read Maths & Comp-sci in Univ IF I get high SAT scores. Being a non-European student, I highly doubt I'll get an interview based only on my SATs and MAT. :confused: Then again, Oxford's my dream school, I'd regret if I didn't even try:smile:

P.S. Excuse my English mistakes, dear English course applicants:smile:)

If you do well enough on the MAT, I'm sure you will get an interview.

And I had an interview at Univ for Maths & CS - it seems like as good a choice as any, to me (although I did get completely lost trying to leave the college)
Original post by LtCommanderData
If you do well enough on the MAT, I'm sure you will get an interview.

And I had an interview at Univ for Maths & CS - it seems like as good a choice as any, to me (although I did get completely lost trying to leave the college)

I hope Oxford tutors think very much like you=))
You really had an interview in college of my choice for the course of my choice? You must tell me all about it once I know my SAT scores=)) You should hope for your sake I'll get lower than 700 'cause I'm gonna ask you a billion questions :biggrin:
And why did you get lost, was it very big? And, was it beautiful? Were the tutors nice?))
Original post by ~*AsmaAttack*~
Hehe true...Magdalen is one of the oldest and it's certainly gorgeous. Have you been planning on making a visit?

Yeah, I'm going to an open day on May 7.
Yeah, I'm going to an open day on May 7.

The maths one? I'm going to that, on the 7th :tongue:
Original post by dnumberwang
The maths one? I'm going to that, on the 7th :tongue:

Ah cool, we'll have to say hi to each other! You applying for straight maths or what? Maths and CS for me. :smile:
Anyone going to the Oxbridge conference in London tomorrow?
Ah cool, we'll have to say hi to each other! You applying for straight maths or what? Maths and CS for me. :smile:

Straight maths :smile:
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
I hope Oxford tutors think very much like you=))
You really had an interview in college of my choice for the course of my choice? You must tell me all about it once I know my SAT scores=)) You should hope for your sake I'll get lower than 700 'cause I'm gonna ask you a billion questions :biggrin:
And why did you get lost, was it very big? And, was it beautiful? Were the tutors nice?))

The maths website gives the criteria for interview/admission:
"Candidates will be invited to take the Admissions Test (on 2nd November 2011) and to come for Interview in Oxford if their application gives evidence of the motivation and ability (including an appropriate mathematical background) to undertake what are demanding courses at one of the world's leading universities, sufficient to offer the possibility of final selection given the overall field of applicants."

It looks like the MAT's quite a big part of this (but somebody who's applied already will probably know more).

Latest

Trending

Trending