The Student Room Group

Student finance and NHS bursary

I'm due to start at London South Bank Uni in September. I really want to finish the student finance form but am stuck on several things. I am doing the diagnostic radiography degree full time. This has placement blocks in it. Here is want I need help with;

Which is my course? Full time undergraduate or full time involving a placement (sandwich course). I am aware I seem a bit simple asking but I just want to be sure I put the right info.

What is my start date? I have never been told, it says it is to be confirmed on the letter I received.

Give the full tuition fee amount that your university or college is charging for the course you will be studying? I haven't been told this either. Does anyone know if the full amount gets paid by the NHS? I thought this was the case and if so, what do I put? I really don't want to mess what I am entitled to, I really need the money.

Where will you spend most of your time studying during each term in this academic year? Do not count periods of teaching practice as a placement, so if you are studying an ITT course, tick University or College. - I don't know what to put because it's meant to be 50/50 between uni and placement.

Also, with the NHS bursary, under the residence section I don't know what to put for the weeks in attendance. I'm staying at home so I'm there all the time!

Sorry it's so long, I'm very confused by it all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anybody?
Reply 2
Hey hun I've just done mine but its for midwifery so slightly different

I put full time undergraduate because although we do hospital placements its not a sandwich placement (i.e. 1 year uni, 1 year placement, 1 year uni) - I'm not sure how the placements work for your course but if its a combination of placements/uni throughout the year just put full time undergraduate

For start date I logged into UCAS track and next to my choices it had the start dates

I thought NHS paid tuition fees for NHS courses but I only know about nursing and midwifery for sure. I put £0 as the NHS pays all my tuition fees - maybe google this before filling it out?

Where will you spend time studying? Although I will be doing lots of placements throughout the year I've been told to put uni as it's a combination of both not just periods of placement

For the bursary forms put the amount of weeks your course is for not how many weeks your living anywhere

hope this helps somewhat? xxx
Reply 3
Yeah, you've helped a lot :smile: I felt completely useless because I stuck basically straight away!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
I've filled in my form, hopefully it is correct. This is what I got;

Maintenance loan of £1744.00

Tuition Fee Loan of up to £0.00

You are also eligible for a Travel Grant, this has still to be calculated.

My parents are not involved in my application as I have been either working or claiming job seekers since I finished college in 2008. I really thought I would get more financial help. I also thought there was a maintenance grant as well as a loan?
Reply 5
The grant for NHS courses is administered by the NHS grants unit, you need to apply to them as well as SFE for full funding for NHS courses.

The figure looks about right for the reduced rate maintenance loan which is all SFE will award you if you are on an NHS degree course. They assume that you will be given an income assessed bursary from the NHS (and the NHS also pay your tuition fees)

In short, you may be eligible for grant support but that has to be applied for through the NHS. Go to the website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx and it will explain what you need to do.
Reply 6
Hmmm for most people the reduced rate maintenance loan is around 2,300 - for those in london its about 1k more and for those living with parents its about 500 less.

You cannot apply for most additional grants such as the maintenance grant as they are all taken into account when you fill in the nhs bursary

the bursary you cannot fill in until summer at some point, when we get our NHS numbers

but for the loan this amount doesn't look right..

actually maybe its because your course is a bit shorter? how many weeks is it? hmm

these are the notes i have written down to help midwifery students with the loan - it may help a bit with yours as its also nhs -

Click apply for support 2011/2012

Type of course: Full time Undergraduate. Do not select full time with placement

Would you like UCAS to share your course details? If you click yes it will ask you to log into track and will take all your information from there to save you searching for it all over again for the form.
If you choose not to get information from UCAS you will have to enter the university name and course name as well as the UCAS codes for the university and course.

Date you will start your course: If you’re not sure log into UCAS track and it should have start date next to your choices.

When will you finish the last year of your course? The year will be 3 years after the start year so for 2011 the finish year will be 2014. If you’re starting in September the end month should be June so 06/2014

Tuition fee put £0. This is important!

Where will you be studying? Put university/college for each term even if you will be on placement

It will then ask if you’re elibible for any bursary. Make sure you put YES.

Will the bursary be income assessed? Make sure you put YES.

Do you have to attend a place in the UK away from your main college as part of your course? Even though you will be on placements this question is really for medical and dental students put NO.

You should end up with
Maintenance loan of £2324.00
Tuition Fee Loan of up to £0.00

If you get to the end and the amount shown is wrong you can go back and edit information by clicking one of the links on the left hand side either ‘About you’ or ‘Your course’
Reply 7
I just checked that I have everything you said and it's stayed the same but now the possible travel grant has gone :frown: I think I do have to include my mothers income now because I've just realised that I didn't start claiming jobseekers in 2008 until August, so it hasn't been 36 months yet but it will be by the time I start uni. Will putting her details make it even less? She earns £29600. I have signed her up but she is not linked to my application and I do not know how to do this.
Reply 8
Thank you for you're help again by the way :smile:
Original post by bobilina0
I just checked that I have everything you said and it's stayed the same but now the possible travel grant has gone :frown: I think I do have to include my mothers income now because I've just realised that I didn't start claiming jobseekers in 2008 until August, so it hasn't been 36 months yet but it will be by the time I start uni. Will putting her details make it even less? She earns £29600. I have signed her up but she is not linked to my application and I do not know how to do this.

If you are applying for finance for a NHS-funded course, you won't be income assessed at all (except for the NHS bursary through their system, NOT Student Finance). If you tick the box saying you are eligible for a NHS bursary on the SF application form, it will not let you put in any support. You will get a non-means tested reduced maintenance loan of £2324 and a means tested NHS bursary. That's all.
Reply 10
When did you get your reference number? I'm still waiting for a letter from nhs bursary so I can apply.
Reply 11
Original post by cezz_18
When did you get your reference number? I'm still waiting for a letter from nhs bursary so I can apply.

I haven't received a letter about the NHS bursary yet, I was looking at the calculator on the site to get a rough idea of what I would be entitled to. I don't think they have been sent out yet.
Reply 12
I haven't received a letter about the NHS bursary yet, I was looking at the calculator on the site to get a rough idea of what I would be entitled to. I don't think they have been sent out yet.

Ok, thank you. I wonder when they're going to send the letters out. I just want everything sorted out as early as possible.
Reply 13
Original post by cezz_18
Ok, thank you. I wonder when they're going to send the letters out. I just want everything sorted out as early as possible.

Yeah me too, it's stressful knowing that there's still stuff to sort out.
Original post by cezz_18

They don't send out letters for new students until late May, June time. They are very efficient though, so you don't need to worry about that. Just make sure you put aside some time to fill in the 36-page application form!
Reply 15
Original post by PhoenixFortune
They don't send out letters for new students until late May, June time. They are very efficient though, so you don't need to worry about that. Just make sure you put aside some time to fill in the 36-page application form!

I'm not looking forward to that :frown:

Hopefull you'll have a vague idea of whether you're entitled to anything, as most of the people in my class filled it all in, only to get a letter saying they couldn't get anything because their parents earned too much.
Reply 17

I see, that's all good then :smile: now, I can concentrate on saving up just in case I don't get anything :/

Me neither! Lol

Which unis are you girlies going to?
Reply 18
Hopefull you'll have a vague idea of whether you're entitled to anything, as most of the people in my class filled it all in, only to get a letter saying they couldn't get anything because their parents earned too much.

I'm pretty sure that wont happen as it's only my mum and she's not on that much. If it does happen I'll be in trouble because I'm not entitled to anything else as they assume I'll be getting help from the NHS.

Original post by cezz_18
I see, that's all good then :smile: now, I can concentrate on saving up just in case I don't get anything :/

Me neither! Lol

Which unis are you girlies going to?

I'm going to London South Bank. Where are you going?
Reply 19
I'm going to London South Bank. Where are you going?

That's cool :smile: I'm going to Surrey. Can you comment here when you get your reference number please x ty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending