The Student Room Group

Depressed and slightly scared about my future...

I finish a levels this summer and have taken spanish, biology and chemistry and will probably get BCC. I've gone downhill from gcses (5 A*s 5 As). I'm not sure if I took the wrong subjects (I got A*s in all 3 that I'm taking now) however what I do know isI have low self-esteem. If I find something hard I will get stressed, panic and leave it until later before doing anything about it. I temporarily feel less stressed until it gets closer to exams, and I start to worry again.
I'm shy: I do sometimes go to support sessions run by teachers but it usually takes me a couple of weeks after I initially plan, to actually go.
My home/social life at the moment isn't great: I wouldn't say my parents are really pushy, but they do pretty much dismiss anything below mostly As and the odd B grade a fail. My parents argue constantly at home and get me involved (though I try to stay out of it) and I feel my brother and sister push me out and always side against me over petty things. I've not managed to stay in contact with friends from my old school before switching to college (I tried but they made new friends) and whilst I kind of did, they're not the kind that really want to meet outside of college hours.
I've put on weight and feel self-conscious about how I look now too.
The only time I feel sort of happy-ish is when listening to my iPod on my way home from college, and when swimming at a club, and even then I feel stressed and unhappy there half the time.
Any help would be welcomed. I guess I'm feeling hopeless...
Your parents don't sound much worse than the average parents who have high-ish expectations of their children. Mine tend to moan a bit at anything less than a B (and even a B is a bit... :s). So, given that you don't have ogres of parents, I think the best move for you would be to talk to them/one of them about your worries.

Obviously you need to talk to someone, and TSRers will only be able to give you a limited amount of advice. If you don't feel you can confide in any of your friends or teachers then parents are a good step, even if part of the issue concerns them.

You can't change your A-levels at school so you just have to keep working at them and find the motivation to continue them to the end. It's really down to you to get back on track with your work. As for exams, everyone gets stressed around exam times, you're not alone!

Keep doing the things you enjoy and talk to someone. A problem shared is a problem halved.
Original post by Anonymous
I finish a levels this summer and have taken spanish, biology and chemistry and will probably get BCC. I've gone downhill from gcses (5 A*s 5 As). I'm not sure if I took the wrong subjects (I got A*s in all 3 that I'm taking now) however what I do know isI have low self-esteem. If I find something hard I will get stressed, panic and leave it until later before doing anything about it. I temporarily feel less stressed until it gets closer to exams, and I start to worry again.
I'm shy: I do sometimes go to support sessions run by teachers but it usually takes me a couple of weeks after I initially plan, to actually go.
My home/social life at the moment isn't great: I wouldn't say my parents are really pushy, but they do pretty much dismiss anything below mostly As and the odd B grade a fail. My parents argue constantly at home and get me involved (though I try to stay out of it) and I feel my brother and sister push me out and always side against me over petty things. I've not managed to stay in contact with friends from my old school before switching to college (I tried but they made new friends) and whilst I kind of did, they're not the kind that really want to meet outside of college hours.
I've put on weight and feel self-conscious about how I look now too.
The only time I feel sort of happy-ish is when listening to my iPod on my way home from college, and when swimming at a club, and even then I feel stressed and unhappy there half the time.
Any help would be welcomed. I guess I'm feeling hopeless...

Your life and your value as a person can't be summed up or expressed in a bunch of stupid grades.
You can go on to do much more than you think possible.:biggrin:
All I can say is is that I have been feeling like **** lately too, because of A levels/University, but also because of school and stuff at home. I've grown up with only financial support from my parents, with no real help regarding school or university, and so I have noone to turn to either, because there is only so much a friend can do for you, so I know it's hard. Maybe we just need to search for the "brightside" as it were (no matter how difficult it may be to find) and just keep at it till the end. A few more months and A levels will be over, and your options will open up slightly; you'll be thinking more clearly without the pressure, and hopefully you'll be able to solve your problems.
Reply 4
Everyone has worries and troubles the affect them that no one else sees, very very few people lead completely stress free lives of study, where all they have to worry about is exams, some people deal with it and become succesful, you can't really care much about your education if your letting stupid things like that get in the way. I have arguing parents, three siblings (i have to share a room with two brothers), my parents are in mountains of debt, we are close to being poor, i play hockey 4 times a week, aswell as a girlfriend to devote time to, and a part time job, so BOOP, we all have our own sh£t to deal with man, so DEAL WITH IT.
Reply 5
Original post by hockeyjoe
Everyone has worries and troubles the affect them that no one else sees, very very few people lead completely stress free lives of study, where all they have to worry about is exams, some people deal with it and become succesful, you can't really care much about your education if your letting stupid things like that get in the way. I have arguing parents, three siblings (i have to share a room with two brothers), my parents are in mountains of debt, we are close to being poor, i play hockey 4 times a week, aswell as a girlfriend to devote time to, and a part time job, so BOOP, we all have our own sh£t to deal with man, so DEAL WITH IT.

I can see what you're saying, and I guess stress shouldn't be putting me off, but I really do feel my self-esteem is holding me back. I guess I feel on my own about this too. At gcse work was obv easier, and I had my friends who would be there for me. I feel I have no-one to turn to.
I've had quite a lot of people ask me if I'm ok, (I'm sure they think I look depressed) and I don't fully understand why I feel the way I do. Above were some ideas, but if I could snap out of it I would. I really want to...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending