The Student Room Group

Is fair that top unis accept internation students over uk students?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by bacforever3
True, though I think other unis struggle because international students only want to pay to go to the top unis... its a hard one...its competitive for internationals to get into their desired unis, but an english university education of some sorts isnt necessarily difficult if you can pay...

that better? :smile:

No denying it's competitive at the top levels.

I should add, I have no real problem with international students, as long as the system currently had is kept, i.e. majority Home students.

I'd also argue, at some places, it's HARDER for international students to get in, but undoubtedly, lots of international students get offers that are not equivalent to Home student requirements.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Iqbal007
Do you think its fair that in many top universities, such as LSE, Imperial, etc prefer to accept international students over Domestic students at a time where Domestic students are unable to compete at graduate level jobs when there international equivalent?

Do think its right for universities to say having international students is more beneficial to the Uk economy, when these internail students leave once they have passed, while Domestic students are struggling to get into degree courses which causes in the long-term falling qualified domestic workers?

How many of you agree that Domestic students should have preference over international students when these universities are UK based and are being funded by UK taxpayers for there children and not for international students?

I realise that international students do give substantial fees and provided about £5 billion to the Uk economy, however i feel it is in the short-term and that long-term prosperity requires UK students to recieve Top education into creating a more stable and more than qualified supply of workers?

What I feel makes this case even worse is the fact that there is a current shortage of university places for local students, shouldn't the government look to maxsimise local students into university rather than being political and allowing foreign students into Uk universities as not many Uk students opt to go abroad due to the high cost in some countries with top universities such the USA.
(Im not being racist or anything, just wanna what people think and my opinion is that UK students should come first as these are UK universities with funding from UK taxpayers money)

How do you know they prefer them?

Two people: one will work for £3 an hour and is foreign, the other will only stoop to £5 and is British. The first gets the job. Then it's all "THEY'RE STEALING OUR JOBS'.com and some such whining, as if they mugged you and took your precious job. No, they will work for cheaper than you, unfortunately that's the way the world works.

The same with unis presumably (given academic quality rah rah rah), internationals pay more. There we go.

Who cares anyway.
Reply 62
These international students only pay for there tuition at uni, wat about the capital such as buildinga and books they are paid for by taxpayers. Plus dont u tink the UK government has an obligation to get as many UK students in as they hav been promoting uni so much, tht there are barely any places at top places. Plus its much more beneficial for the UK economy to have a better educated labour compared to other countries.

there are more graduates than graduate jobs available and many many people are leaving uni and finding that there are no jobs and doing something they could of done straight from school, so no its not beneficial to the economy to get even more people into uni it would be a waste of money and therefore bad for the economy. you keep going on about how there aren't enough places for home students, but if there aren't enough places then so be it. there is only a need for so many graduates and you seem to feel some sort of false entitlement to a university education, its a privilege not something you or anyone else should feel like they have a right to.

oh and international students pay for much more than their tuition. the fees that they pay for tuition cover the actual cost of tutoring them many times over so the universities do profit from them and they do not cost the tax payer ANYTHING
Reply 63
Original post by boba
there are more graduates than graduate jobs available and many many people are leaving uni and finding that there are no jobs and doing something they could of done straight from school, so no its not beneficial to the economy to get even more people into uni it would be a waste of money and therefore bad for the economy. you keep going on about how there aren't enough places for home students, but if there aren't enough places then so be it. there is only a need for so many graduates and you seem to feel some sort of false entitlement to a university education, its a privilege not something you or anyone else should feel like they have a right to.

oh and international students pay for much more than their tuition. the fees that they pay for tuition cover the actual cost of tutoring them many times over so the universities do profit from them and they do not cost the tax payer ANYTHING

But then again u argue that recently major tertiary economies suich as the UK are change in an R & D economy which is simply research and development personally i think is to be taken into account when the economy changes to it fully while tertiary jobs will go to places the UAE and hong kong, etc.

still tink its unfair :frown: other unis shud step up there gain in other countries so there students stay there
Reply 64
Original post by Sapientia
How do you know they prefer them?

Two people: one will work for £3 an hour and is foreign, the other will only stoop to £5 and is British. The first gets the job. Then it's all "THEY'RE STEALING OUR JOBS'.com and some such whining, as if they mugged you and took your precious job. No, they will work for cheaper than you, unfortunately that's the way the world works.

The same with unis presumably (given academic quality rah rah rah), internationals pay more. There we go.

Who cares anyway.

Yeah i know what u mean, but its illegal and the government shud really crack down on them
They have quotas for numbers of international and home students as far as I'm aware.
Reply 66
Its not fair and it happens all the time not so much International but the Europeans flood in
Original post by James10000
Its not fair and it happens all the time not so much International but the Europeans flood in

Europeans pay the same fees as you and are considered home student, so logic conclusion is maybe they are better candidate ....
im not tryin to be racist, i just find it unfair that at some uni's my friends hav been rejected and these unis are highly international uni's lse. It kinda bothers me and think its unfair, i agree there should be a mix, but some unis seem like they are acceptin large amounts .

Boo hoo. Someone got rejected because they weren't good enough but an international student was? They aren't accepting "large amounts" except possibly for postgraduates(as hardly any one wants to do postgraduates here, with the exception of medicine etc...) Your name is Iqbal. Surely, you've experienced feelings of hate towards yourself? BTW, before any body says Im attacking him, my name's Waqas and according to some people, Im a "forrin"
Reply 69
Original post by LysFromParis
Europeans pay the same fees as you and are considered home student, so logic conclusion is maybe they are better candidate ....

maybe, but they dont pay taxes here neither do there parents + its unnecessary competition
Original post by James10000
maybe, but they dont pay taxes here neither do there parents + its unnecessary competition

You could move to another European country as well if you think competition will be less harsh over there.
Reply 71
Original post by de_monies
Boo hoo. Someone got rejected because they weren't good enough but an international student was? They aren't accepting "large amounts" except possibly for postgraduates(as hardly any one wants to do postgraduates here, with the exception of medicine etc...) Your name is Iqbal. Surely, you've experienced feelings of hate towards yourself? BTW, before any body says Im attacking him, my name's Waqas and according to some people, Im a "forrin"

Actually not really, i live central London and go to a diverse school only thing close are the EDL guys on the news. And i dont mind if they come for postgraduates as theres little demand for it. But priorty shud be taken for who needs it most, which shud be uk students.
Reply 72
basically if your not good enough your not good enough get over it and stop being angry at other people who are because their foreign. and get over your sense of entitlement don't know how many times I've said it but university is not a right and there is no reason why you should feel like anyone is obliged to try and make sure as many British people can go as possible its a privilege and if you haven't earned that privilege.. well quite frankly noone cares
Actually not really, i live central London and go to a diverse school only thing close are the EDL guys on the news. And i dont mind if they come for postgraduates as theres little demand for it. But priorty shud be taken for who needs it most, which shud be uk students.
As said many many times before, international students are capped ie: there is a quota, which you can not exceed. The majority of places are reserved for home students only. Also, a UK born citizen should be able to spell "should" If you can't spell basic English, then don't blame international students just because you or your friends have been rejected by a university.
Reply 74
Original post by Serenb
Errmm again No this isn't true. (so many people seem to believe this) Home students and EU students are subsidised by the government, international students are not. So the difference between their fees and home/eu fees are funded by our taxes.
Which is why home fees are going up but international fees are not.

For your information, international fees go up every year.
Original post by priority86

There's also talk about raising international fees to at least 15-20K/annum
Reply 76
As said many many times before, international students are capped ie: there is a quota, which you can not exceed. The majority of places are reserved for home students only. Also, a UK born citizen should be able to spell "should" If you can't spell basic English, then don't blame international students just because you or your friends have been rejected by a university.

Firstly, this aint an essay being marked or anything so i dont see y i cant write like crap online ¬¬. And if majority of places r reserved for home students how do u explain the huge international intakes at imperial, UCL, lse and many others, quotas are comin in from next year, there rent any at the moment theres restriction in meeting the requirements for entry.
Reply 77
There's also talk about raising international fees to at least 15-20K/annum

That should decrease demand :smile: and giv Uk studenst more places
Reply 78
Original post by priority86

:rolleyes: yes, but they're not going up by an extra 3000 - 6000.
Reply 79
Original post by boba
basically if your not good enough your not good enough get over it and stop being angry at other people who are because their foreign. and get over your sense of entitlement don't know how many times I've said it but university is not a right and there is no reason why you should feel like anyone is obliged to try and make sure as many British people can go as possible its a privilege and if you haven't earned that privilege.. well quite frankly noone cares

Universities are public institutions. The British public do have some entitlements to their places. If we reached a situation whereby 90% of university places went to wealthy overseas students due to the fact they can pay more, do you honestly not believe that such a situation would pose a serious problem for British society?

People like you, quite frankly, scare me. Your thinking is dangerous. University education should not be left to the decision of the international money market, and our universities should not become the playthings of the world's wealthy. If British people can't see this, then we are truly doomed.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending