The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Rant

Sounds similar to what a certain someone said about the Jews approximately 60 years ago. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Ah, but Judaism - nowadays they seem quite alright. The Christians and the Muslims nowadays are so annoying. But the Jews - never forcing their religion - I do not hear a peep out of them these days - they are so nice - I used to go to a private school packed with them - so rich too...

They own the media that's why. If you had that sort of power, would you print anything negative about your own religion?
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
It depends on one's personality.

If that was me - I would use this horrible and devastating to my advantage and bring a positive outcome out of it - for example, be successful and/or become leader of the country to sort out the problems similar to those that led to my mother being blown intro "5 pieces" etc etc - but that is just me - an optimist, a futurist, a hopeful, a striver, an enthusiast, etc etc :proud:

Thats because your educated, you know that you can aspire to make at least some change; these kids are born into ghettos, in poverty compared to UK standards. They react to violence with violence.
Reply 123
Original post by Democracy
Depends.

Some of the greatest poetry ever written was composed by Islamic poets and mystics e.g. Attar's The Conference of the Birds. Obviously Islamic scientists, mathematicians, etc have made great contributions to human knowledge. Whilst Islam and the Caliphate were violent 1000 years ago, they were not really much more violent than the Papal States and the Crusaders.

But unlike Christianity, Islam hasn't evolved. Islamic regimes these days, whether in Saudi Arabia, Iran or wherever seek to impose medievalist Sharia law on people and currently oppress their own people by the tens of millions. So purely to prevent human suffering today, it could be argued that it would have been better had Islam never existed because it doesn't seem to be a reformable religion.

This.
Reply 124
yes.

but not just islam...all religions are dangerous.
Reply 125
Original post by Gob Bluth
Impossible to defend it really. Look at its record ffs. Also look at Islamic states and the atrocities that happen there. The only people who vote that is better it exists are muslims themselves. The religion is severely backward to what the world is currently evolving into with its liberal democracies in the west. But Islam, is stuck in a rut, and is just not changing.

Okay fair play, there are parts of the world where Islam has a bad reputation- but that is ONLY in places where Islam has not been spread properly.
Jihad means sacrifice; mainly inner sacrifice like caring for your mum etc instead of living away.
Suicide attempts and terrorism is not considered Islamic- do accept that please.

In the UK muslims try their best to integrate into society, the majority of us don't cause trouble. I don't really see the point in posting comments like this, or even a forum like this. What good will it do? What are you actually expecting to happen? I just want peace.
Without religion: yes.

Without Islam: no, another would fill the void.
Reply 127
It would undoubtedly be better if we didn't have religion in the near and distant future. We would all be able to start looking at ethics and morality in a secular, humanistic, rational manner, and come up with some better answers a lot quicker. Trying to improve the lot of humanity in a world where the teachings of ancient religions are seen as incontravertible is like trying to run a marathon with a big fat man man on your back.

But it is simply impossible to say that the world would be a better place if we had never had religion. Who knows, maybe it was a necessary part of our anthropological evolution?

As for Islam specifically, I don't see it as being any more or less offensive than any other religion. The current Western intellectual paradigm is to highlight it's "backwardness" while at the same time extolling the supposed virtues of Christianity and Judaism. This is really little more than institutionalised racism bred from a typically Saidian fear of the other.
Original post by Democracy
Depends.

Some of the greatest poetry ever written was composed by Islamic poets and mystics e.g. Attar's The Conference of the Birds. Obviously Islamic scientists, mathematicians, etc have made great contributions to human knowledge. Whilst Islam and the Caliphate were violent 1000 years ago, they were not really much more violent than the Papal States and the Crusaders.

But unlike Christianity, Islam hasn't evolved. Islamic regimes these days, whether in Saudi Arabia, Iran or wherever seek to impose medievalist Sharia law on people and currently oppress their own people by the tens of millions. So purely to prevent human suffering today, it could be argued that it would have been better had Islam never existed because it doesn't seem to be a reformable religion.

The idea of a reformable religion is a bit flawed in my opinion. The word of 'God' is supposed to be absolute, withstanding the test of time etc. so why would a religion need to adapt?

Also please explain how Islam has supposedly oppressed its people.
Reply 129
Original post by Refrigerator
The idea of a reformable religion is a bit flawed in my opinion. The word of 'God' is supposed to be absolute, withstanding the test of time etc. so why would a religion need to adapt?

Also please explain how Islam has supposedly oppressed its people.

Why are God's views static? Who is to say God's views aren't fluid?
nope? Im christian and recognise islam is a wonderful religion, that they believe was the last ever religious book created (the quran), first being the torah. Islam teaches peace, and anyone who cannot see this is stupid. /thread
Reply 131
It would be a better place without radical/fundamentalist Islam but the same can be said of any religion. It just so happens that Islam is (one of) the last religion to reform.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xXxiKillxXx

Original post by xXxiKillxXx
Thats because your educated, you know that you can aspire to make at least some change; these kids are born into ghettos, in poverty compared to UK standards. They react to violence with violence.

You are very correct. I would not know how it would feel to be able to only resort to violence every time...
Original post by niceday

Original post by niceday
They own the media that's why. If you had that sort of power, would you print anything negative about your own religion?

No. I actually meant in the real world - not in news. For example, I see some Muslim women wrapped up in all of that blackness like there is no tomorrow etc etc.

But, I have actually met Jews - I used to go to school regularly with them for goodness' sake! But I also met some Muslims at school, and I must say that a few of them had quite extreme views concerning different matters etc.

I still believe that Judaism is relatively peaceful in these Modern Times - it seems like a sort of intellectual religion and funnily enough, they do not seem to focus so much (like the Christians and Muslims) on those silly "End-Times" and return of respective saviours and prophets.

If I had to choose which religions to annihilate - it would be Christianity and Islam - I have both seen and been in the midst of their insanity and problems and distorted views.

However, ask me anything about Judaism and the evil that it has caused - I would be speechless and not have anything to tell you.

P.S. I do not believe in all of that Zionist nonsense about Jews controlling the world etc - and even if they do - so what?? They deserve to after the crazy moustached German tried to kill them all!! Having said that, with this logic, the Black Man should also deserve to rule the Earth also...
Original post by Rokaf0
Okay fair play, there are parts of the world where Islam has a bad reputation- but that is ONLY in places where Islam has not been spread properly.
Jihad means sacrifice; mainly inner sacrifice like caring for your mum etc instead of living away.
Suicide attempts and terrorism is not considered Islamic- do accept that please.

In the UK muslims try their best to integrate into society, the majority of us don't cause trouble. I don't really see the point in posting comments like this, or even a forum like this. What good will it do? What are you actually expecting to happen? I just want peace.

I know the majority of you in this country are people who wish to integrate into society and do so, but end of the day you look at what happens with the religion in other countries and you see the world is a better place without it. I can't see how it's better for Islam? I still believe a lot of the ideology utilised is backward and the main fundamental point of the religion is political in nature, whether some followers are that extreme on their understanding of it or not. And when religion gets involved with politics it gets messy.
Reply 135
So OP, what religion do YOU follow?
Reply 136
Yes
Original post by Aexis
Why are God's views static? Who is to say God's views aren't fluid?

because as far as I can see, the whole idea of God is that he is always right
Yes the world would be better off without Islam. I would like to hear someone try and tell me that the world is better off with it.
So most is saying that the world would be a better place without any religion?