The Student Room Group

Messed up assignments...what happens now?

I've screwed up so many assignments (1st year) that passing seems like it's pretty impossible now.

Cant I re-do any past assignments before next year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know about assignments but you should be able to re-sit exams in the summer.
How much are these assignments worth?
Original post by Uzzy?
I don't know about assignments but you should be able to re-sit exams in the summer.

Well that's no good considering the assignments mean so much.

I dont even give a crap about grades I just want to pass.
Reply 4
Original post by Studentrepreneur

Well what's more weighted, your assignments or exams? Besides did you only get assignments for semster one? What about semester 2?

Have a look in your student handbook or your uni's website to see what the rules are in your uni.
All I know is I failed to hand in a couple assignments and did bad on some.

So now I'm confused as to what happens next...
People on here don't know if you'll be allowed to redo or hand in late assignments.
You need to ask your tutor and check the rules.
Maybe you have some special reasons for getting behind with work and can ask for special consideration but you might need evidence to support your claim.
good lu ck
I know they wont let me re-do them

I'm just wondering wtf I do now...
Reply 9
I know they wont let me re-do them

I'm just wondering wtf I do now...

What, you found that out in the last 20 minutes?

Rules vary by institution - if they won't let you resubmit work you might be allowed to redo the whole module... find out what the rules are on the uni website, go see your tutor.
Original post by Joinedup
What, you found that out in the last 20 minutes?

Rules vary by institution - if they won't let you resubmit work you might be allowed to redo the whole module... find out what the rules are on the uni website, go see your tutor.

Well is there any point in me doing the exams then?
Reply 11
Well is there any point in me doing the exams then?

Yeah.

it's pretty usual for a uni to treat not showing up for an exam as being worse than taking the exam and doing badly.

I don't think there's any possible way you'll be better off by deciding to not turn up for an exam.

but definitely check the regs at your place and see your tutor
Yeah.

it's pretty usual for a uni to treat not showing up for an exam as being worse than taking the exam and doing badly.

I don't think there's any possible way you'll be better off by deciding to not turn up for an exam.

but definitely check the regs at your place and see your tutor

But there's no point in turning up if it means I cant pass even if I get 100%
Reply 13
But there's no point in turning up if it means I cant pass even if I get 100%

There's more to it than getting a pass mark or not at a lot of unis

if you don't turn up for the first exam then you might not be offered a resit - and fwiw at my place you definitely wouldn't be able to resit.

(check your regs for the full rules at your place)

if you do turn up and fail you might be able to resit.
What happens now?
The end of all things, that's what happens.
The end of all things.

Thanks, OP. Thanks a bundle.
There's more to it than getting a pass mark or not at a lot of unis

if you don't turn up for the first exam then you might not be offered a resit - and fwiw at my place you definitely wouldn't be able to resit.

(check your regs for the full rules at your place)

if you do turn up and fail you might be able to resit.

You dont understand what I'm saying

Even if I pass the exams I still may fail the year overall because of assignments!!!

Even if I pass the exams I still may fail the year overall because of assignments!!!

Keyword: may.

Also, some universities can be pretty lenient. If you completely aced the exams, it's entirely possible they may still award a borderline pass and let you continue to the next level of study.
Original post by EEngWillow
If you completely aced the exams, it's entirely possible they may still award a borderline pass and let you continue to the next level of study.

This is unlikely to happen

I should try switch course for next year that way I might survive.
Reply 18

No, I think I do - I just think probably I know more about how unis view failure to show up at exams than you do.

If you miss the automatic progression that comes from passing your modules you're into a discretionary area where they look at things like whether you showed up for exams or not.

you need to talk to your tutor and it'd probably be good to start collecting evidence that you had a temporary problem which hampered your work - this doesn't mean they'll look at the evidence and increase your marks but it may feed into the decision about offering you another chance or not.
Reply 19
This is unlikely to happen

I should try switch course for next year that way I might survive.

:no: They're unlikely to just let you switch to a different course if you refuse to even try at this one (friends who have switched courses have been asked e.g. to get a 2i in their current course first).

As others have said you need to
a) find out what the actual regulations are
b) take the exams anyway

Why?

Firstly because since you don't know the actual weightings, it's entirely possible that you still can pass. You only need 40% overall to pass (and as others have said sometimes it's not even that - I needed 40% for a third but only 30 to pass without honours).

Secondly because if you want to carry on at uni and potentially redo the year or switch to another course you need the goodwill of a department. It's not a computer making the choices for you: it's humans who actually care about the students (however little that may be). So if you say 'I messed up. I want to try again' and you've obviously worked hard for the exams and done well, they are much much more likely to be helpful than if it looks like you just ****ed about for a year and couldn't care less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending