The Student Room Group

Police find Sian O'Callaghans body

Scroll to see replies

It makes me feel worse that the second victim didn't even seem to have anyone looking for them... Shows how worthless life can be in the grand scheme of things if one life can disappear and no one notices.
Original post by air-ninety-one
if it wasnt this drunkard this week... the media wouldve done something about the 86 yr old gran who was burnt to death in her flat. it was murder... but im sure nobody here has heard of this story cos the media didnt show it. they only show the ones who were lost then murdered so people like you feel sorry for them... but the truth is millions of people get mudered but there individual stories are never told. something like 150 murders in london a year and the news shows this drunk dog from swindon... its a ****ing disgrace

As shocking as that was, the media were focused on looking for someone who was hoped to be alive. Yes, maybe the media had a responsibility to look for the 86 year- old's murderer, but the need to look for someone who was potentially still alive was much greater...and the only way of finding her was through mass media coverage. The family's influence and desperation to find her would certainly have influenced the amount of press coverage, as would the 86 year old's had her family done the same. Alas, nothing more can be done to persuade you to be a little less callous in the light of these "millions of people" who get murdered. I resign. Do what you will from behind the screen of your computer.
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
As shocking as that was, the media were focused on looking for someone who was hoped to be alive. Yes, maybe the media had a responsibility to look for the 86 year- old's murderer, but the need to look for someone who was potentially still alive was much greater...and the only way of finding her was through mass media coverage. The family's influence and desperation to find her would certainly have influenced the amount of press coverage, as would the 86 year old's had her family done the same. Alas, nothing more can be done to persuade you to be a little less callous in the light of these "millions of people" who get murdered. I resign. Do what you will from behind the screen of your computer.

hundreds of children who go missing? ive only seen 1 face on my milk bottle for the last 3 months. obviously society can just say **** you to the others
Reply 23
Original post by rachelkeira
It makes me feel worse that the second victim didn't even seem to have anyone looking for them... Shows how worthless life can be in the grand scheme of things if one life can disappear and no one notices.

That's missing white girl syndrome for you.
its her fault she got drunk... her autopsy showed blood achohol levels to be over 20 times the recommended amount.

What??
So because she was drunk she deserved to be murdered? WTF!
I get the point you are saying about many more murders not getting this attention, but to say it was her fault is just horrible.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sad stuff.

The family must of feared the worst after the first day because she was really close to her family and fiance from what they say about her. Not to mention that she had told friends in the club she would be back. Sad stuff really. I will be the first to admit I don't always check how licensed a taxi is when I get in one, then again I never get in alone. I don't even know how to check.

I wonder who the second girl is. Goes without saying how sorry I feel for the family :frown: It becomes clearer everyday how sick some of the people in this world really are. Good they caught him.

Really hope in time her family can recover but I doubt it.

Just to clarify the "slim 47 year old white male" that was taken outside ASDA was the murderer right ? and the car taken from ASDA was the vehicle involved ?
Reply 26
That's awful, though it was inevitable that something awful would've happened to her.

A friend of mine knew her and said that two other people had been raped around Old Town the same night, when he was there with his friends.

As much as I love Swindon this kind of stuff is terrifying, reason why I would never want to be alone there.
2 people die every second... death is nothing... if your really sorry for her loss, why not go and visit her family? its cos your not bothered cos you dont care. neither do i and neither does anyone else. its her fault she got drunk... her autopsy showed blood achohol levels to be over 20 times the recommended amount.

Err, they haven't had time to conduct a Post-Mortem!

And they certainly wouldn't release forensic info - just the cause of death.
I have to wonder what happened to Claudia Lawrence too....

They've not identified the second body yet, but I hope for her families sake that its her so that the mystery can be solved at long last.
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
Sad stuff.

The family must of feared the worst after the first day because she was really close to her family and fiance from what they say about her. Not to mention that she had told friends in the club she would be back. Sad stuff really. I will be the first to admit I don't always check how licensed a taxi is when I get in one, then again I never get in alone. I don't even know how to check.

I wonder who the second girl is. Goes without saying how sorry I feel for the family :frown: It becomes clearer everyday how sick some of the people in this world really are. Good they caught him.

Just to clarify the "slim 47 year old white male" that was taken outside ASDA was the murderer right ? and the car taken from ASDA was the vehicle involved ?

They should display a license from the local council and the driver should have photographic identification to prove he is a licensed driver. They're usually displayed on the back of the front seats or dashboard. Always go for reputable firms (cars with logos on) and if in doubt, ask the driver for his identification. Make sure a friend or two shares the cab with you or if not - make sure you call a friend when you've been dropped off home and have gotten in okay.
Original post by Choccielatte
Err, they haven't had time to conduct a Post-Mortem!

And they certainly wouldn't release forensic info - just the cause of death.

what are you talkin about? a post mortem doesn't take more than half an hour
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
Sad stuff.

Yes he was the guy and that was his car. It turns out that he actually knew her (in paper today), and she was good friends with his own children. So that's why she would have got in the car instead of walking the half mile home, she wouldn't have thought twice about it. It just makes you wonder what would possess someone to do this, especially someone who knew her and has kids of their own.. Just shows there is no justice in this world..

Oh yeah, also, the taxi company aren't sure if he was even on duty that night.. But obviously Sian couldn't have known that and since she knew him just wouldn't have thought to question him. So sad.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by soutioirsim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-12852499

They found two bodies and one of them was Sian's :frown:

From our 6th form we could see the forest that they were searching in and it has kind of hit everyone a little bit lately.

This is just a tribute to her and hope her friends and family are coping alright :s-smilie:

Why? I mean, unless you actually knew her, of course. And by that I mean were actually acquainted with her. Because getting all upset over the death of someone you know of, but don't really know or care about, is just ridiculous.

People are killed all the time. I don't see why you should suddenly care more about this specific case purely because it's been all over the news.

I mean no one seems to care about the other body.
Reply 33
This topic is somewhat cheapened by the mention of Facebook and how Facebook statuses have replaced talking to their faces or sending a letter.
what are you talkin about? a post mortem doesn't take more than half an hour

But they're saying that the post mortem is being carried out today. There's no mention ANYWHERE of her blood alcohol levels being leaked to the press. It's total fiction. No reports mention the results of the post mortem, because it didn't happen till today.
Original post by Choccielatte
But they're saying that the post mortem is being carried out today. There's no mention ANYWHERE of her blood alcohol levels being leaked to the press. It's total fiction. No reports mention the results of the post mortem, because it didn't happen till today.

but it did happen... you need to stop lying
Reply 36
Original post by concubine
Why? I mean, unless you actually knew her, of course. And by that I mean were actually acquainted with her. Because getting all upset over the death of someone you know of, but don't really know or care about, is just ridiculous.

People are killed all the time. I don't see why you should suddenly care more about this specific case purely because it's been all over the news.

I mean no one seems to care about the other body.

Please leave the thread if all you're going to do is moan, I don't really care.
Reply 37
Very sad. To the people saying why care so much about 1 girl - this particular story is quite close to home for people our age. I bet 90% of people that have looked at this thread go clubbing atleast once every couple of months. Even for me - a man - it is quite a scary and shocking story. Especially when you see the footage of her leaving the club. That could so easily be you or someone you love, it is a particularly distressing story. I'm sure there are thousands of other stories like it, but this got so much media coverage because they were trying to find her. Does the fact that she got so much coverage mean she doesn't deserve your respect? If that was your sister or cousin or friend, would you not want as much public attention you could get???

Show some ****ing human emotion or don't show anything at all if you don't particularly care. Just don't spread what is essentially hate because you've got personal issues with the media.
Reply 38
Godfrey forbid we jump off the bandwagon and inject some logic into our over-PC world. Very sad it is indeed, but take it to heart and you'll be depressed all day, every day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending