The Student Room Group

ENOUGH!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WelshBluebird
What is happening now is a million times different to what happened with Iraq.
For a start, we have the backing of the UN and the international community. We have the backing of the Arab league and other nations in the area. The Libyian people want us there. And we are not sending in troops in "invade" like we did with Iraq.

oh wow you have back up,so that gives you a right to "invade"?
nice one:biggrin:
Original post by angrydanmarin
Future writer of the sun/daily mail/daily express???

lol i y pos repped you for that:biggrin: considering i wanna be a journalist,not exactly a ad starting point:wink:
Original post by Menakshelatte
oh wow you have back up,so that gives you a right to "invade"?
nice one:biggrin:

We aren't invading though. As I said, that is one of the huge differences between this and Iraq.
We aren't invading though. As I said, that is one of the huge differences between this and Iraq.

I fail to see how having back-up means that you're not "invading".
I think it means ganging up, and instead of 1 country sucking oil and killing people like in Iraq,this time it will be multiple.
I fail to see how having back-up means that you're not "invading".
I think it means ganging up, and instead of 1 country sucking oil and killing people like in Iraq,this time it will be multiple.

I do agree that it is partly about oil (that is why we like to "help" in the middle east but not in Zimbabwe for example).

However, as I said, there is a bloody huge difference between this and Iraq.
In Iraq we sent in the troops, here we are not.
In Iraq we did not have UN support, here we do.
In Iraq we did not have the support of the middle east in general, here we do.
In Iraq our aim was to defeat Hussain, kill him, and liberate the country, here our aim is just to stop Gaddaffi bombing his own people.
I do agree that it is partly about oil (that is why we like to "help" in the middle east but not in Zimbabwe for example).

However, as I said, there is a bloody huge difference between this and Iraq.
In Iraq we sent in the troops, here we are not.
In Iraq we did not have UN support, here we do.
In Iraq we did not have the support of the middle east in general, here we do.
In Iraq our aim was to defeat Hussain, kill him, and liberate the country, here our aim is just to stop Gaddaffi bombing his own people.

why weren't any of what you said done to help palestine?
you summed the whole thing up yourself in the bold bit.
The only difference is that it's not partly,it;s ALL about oil.
Everybody saw that after all the trouble caused in Iraq nobody was strong enough to get revenge,so thsi gave the european ountries a massive confidence boost that they can do what they want and get away with it.
why are there bombs in Libya?? (othher than Gaddafi's)
Do you honestly think that these countries will leave without getting oil,without killing people?
we all know that they're not getting involved just to "help" hese civillians and stop Gadaffi.
I am expecting massive damage..
and after the damage all they will geti s a measly "sorry"
Iraq,Vietnam and many countries America has caused destruction in..Libya will be another one

I can only rcalll 2 incidents where America had lots of civillians killed
A)Pearl Harbour
BTerrorist attacks from El Kaida
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26

:sadnod: Finally someone's said it. OP, I do think that we needed to intervene BUT I agree with those who say that we went in too hard; we were supposed to 'protect the civilians' but I think another aim was to kill gaddafi :teehee:
why weren't any of what you said done to help palestine?

Partly oil (as I said) and partly the west seem to want to defend Israel all the time (possibly because it was the west that helped establish it).
Personally I have never taken an interest in the Israel / palenstine conflict or the history of the region, so I'm not really in a position to comment on it.
Original post by amsie/
:sadnod: Finally someone's said it. OP, I do think that we needed to intervene BUT I agree with those who say that we went in too hard; we were supposed to 'protect the civilians' but I think another aim was to kill gaddafi :teehee:

I agree Gadaffi should be stopped,you're right there.
But you can in no way guarantee that this story will not end like Iraq after the past:s-smilie:
partly agreeing with Gadaffi should be killed i dont understand why?:confused:
and why his sons are killed???

Why isn't the leader of Israel or Geroge Bush killed???
until those people are killed US an UK andthe UN aren't in a positions to kill anybody.
But you can in no way guarantee that this story will not end like Iraq after the past:s-smilie:

But as I keep saying, this is a million times different from Iraq. There are hardly any simularities. If anything, this is closer to when we went into Bosnia in the mid 90's.
Partly oil (as I said) and partly the west seem to want to defend Israel all the time (possibly because it was the west that helped establish it).
Personally I have never taken an interest in the Israel / palenstine conflict or the history of the region, so I'm not really in a position to comment on it.

see this is EXACTLY what drives me mad.
Israel does genocide and kills thousaands maybe millions of Palestinians for YEARS
and the whole world goes blind&Deaf

Gadaffi kills his own people and suddenly everybody is involved.it's actually so simple. A and B are having an argumesnt C decides to watch.
D and E have an argment and C goes mad.

like you said Partly oile (which i assume is all)
how can you guaranteel libya wont be like Iraq? you cant
how can you guaranteel libya wont be like Iraq? you cant

I agree with your first points, that is is very hyopcritical of the west.

However, I really don't see how you can compare it to Iraq. It is totally different! As I said, this is much closer to us going into Bosnia (and trying to prevent mass genocide) than it is to us with Iraq. There are next to no similarities between this and Iraq.
Reply 32
What is happening now is a million times different to what happened with Iraq.
For a start, we have the backing of the UN and the international community. We have the backing of the Arab league and other nations in the area. The Libyian people want us there. And we are not sending in troops in "invade" like we did with Iraq.

We don't have the backing of the Arab league. And how does the backing of the UN make it okay?
Reply 33
Not that I think all past wars for oil are good or popular things. But our entire civilisation depends on the stuff, so to rule it out as a cause for military action we are kind of shooting ourselves in the foot.

As long as you keep putting petrol in your car and bitching about high prices at the pump, don't complain about western governments doing there best to secure supply.

Disclaimer: I don't actually think Libya is about oil, but people always bring it up on these threads.
Original post by garethDT
We don't have the backing of the Arab league. And how does the backing of the UN make it okay?

why do I have no reps left to hand out to you?? :frown:(
oh so there's no backing from the arab league either??
the situation keeps getting worse..
Reply 35
Well, either work your way up the political ranks & try to make a difference (you won't be able to anyway unless you take over the world's oil and weapons industry) or just live your life and hope you're never unfortunate enough to live in one of these countries.
Reply 36
why do I have no reps left to hand out to you?? :frown:(
oh so there's no backing from the arab league either??
the situation keeps getting worse..

The Arab league initially backed the idea of a no-fly zone but when the coalition interpreted that as a license to bomb the hell out of the place the Arab league withdrew its support.

It's bizarre how similar this is to Iraq and yet has almost unanimous public support.

oil rich country? check

no threat to us or its neighbours? check

Western propaganda saying its to remove an evil dictator? check

It's weird how with hindsight most people are very much regretful of the Iraq war and can see through the propaganda yet when the same thing happens with Libya they fall for it hook line and sinker.
Reply 37
Yeas Gadaffi is a horribile leader killing his own people but that shouldn't concern ANYBODY!

Not even maybe the people he's killing? Just a thought.
Original post by Renner
Not that I think all past wars for oil are good or popular things. But our entire civilisation depends on the stuff, so to rule it out as a cause for military action we are kind of shooting ourselves in the foot.

As long as you keep putting petrol in your car and bitching about high prices at the pump, don't complain about western governments doing there best to secure supply.

Disclaimer: I don't actually think Libya is about oil, but people always bring it up on these threads.

ohwow,so because I complain about petrol prices our leader must terrorise the middleeast? please tell me you are joking..
maye stopping giving so much income support to refugeess might help??

I know MANY refugess who lie to get income support.I'm just Thankfull my fmily doens't do it.
As a fatc I know a woman who actually smashed her knee to be able to become "disabled2 and recieve money from the government.
seriously,killing people in Libya will not make me happy about petrol.
they should use the ources they have.

ofcouuuuuuuuuuurse it's not about oil..the UN uk and US suddenly start to be angels:rolleyes:
The situation in Libya is an incredibly stupid one. We're not enforcing a no-fly zone we're picking sides against rebels who might be as brutal as Ghaddafi for all we know. Yes he's brutal tyrannical etc - like (almost) every other leader in the Middle East.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending