The Student Room Group

what do you study on an audiology degree

hi there
just want to know what kind of exatcly what you study on the degree.
Reply 1
Original post by STARKASTT
hi there
just want to know what kind of exatcly what you study on the degree.

Hi Starkastt,
I'm currently a first year studying audiology at southampton. Southampton Uni was for me exactly what I wanted at I have throughly enjoyed the year, even through I had no idea what audiology really was till I got there. There is a basic physics module (a-level standard) and a basic biology standard (again a-level material) they do this so that everyone up to speed on the basics.
There is also a lot of detail on the anatomy and physiology of ear, and pathophysiology of the ear. There is also lectures on disability, giving you a wider aspect of the Deaf community and a module on Sound perception, i.e when do you hear something, and what are you hearing.

Most importantly there is a lot of practial information, what you'd actually do as an audiologist. Tests, and understanding the results, and learning what you'd do next for the patient. I'd say the practial side is the best bit for me. It means you're not just sitting in the room for hours on end listening to boring bit of the ear, you actually get stuck in! You have a slot of praticals in your 1st week, and practial exams in Jan.
There are modules that back up these practicals and there are also half day placements organised for you.
I feel that if you were to make a choice on the audiology degrees out there make sure that you know what happens when, for example, bristol (atm, things are changing for 2011 intake) dont do anything ANYTHING practical till the second year.

Again, what course you chose is entirely dependant on you. hope that helps!

Liv
Reply 2
Thank you Liv for this detailed response.

How hard is the course exatcly :smile:
Is the course like 30% pysics or is it more and is it interesting ?

Thanks again Liv and except more questions :smile:
Reply 3
Ears?
Reply 4
yes i know that but i want to know the fine details of the degree :wink:
Original post by Liv--
Hi Starkastt,
I'm currently a first year studying audiology at southampton. Southampton Uni was for me exactly what I wanted at I have throughly enjoyed the year, even through I had no idea what audiology really was till I got there. There is a basic physics module (a-level standard) and a basic biology standard (again a-level material) they do this so that everyone up to speed on the basics.
There is also a lot of detail on the anatomy and physiology of ear, and pathophysiology of the ear. There is also lectures on disability, giving you a wider aspect of the Deaf community and a module on Sound perception, i.e when do you hear something, and what are you hearing.

Most importantly there is a lot of practial information, what you'd actually do as an audiologist. Tests, and understanding the results, and learning what you'd do next for the patient. I'd say the practial side is the best bit for me. It means you're not just sitting in the room for hours on end listening to boring bit of the ear, you actually get stuck in! You have a slot of praticals in your 1st week, and practial exams in Jan.
There are modules that back up these practicals and there are also half day placements organised for you.
I feel that if you were to make a choice on the audiology degrees out there make sure that you know what happens when, for example, bristol (atm, things are changing for 2011 intake) dont do anything ANYTHING practical till the second year.

Again, what course you chose is entirely dependant on you. hope that helps!

Liv

Hey there, where else did you apply to? What grades did you get at the end of A-levels? I was deterred from applying to Southampton because their requirements were the highest of all those offering Audiology:eek:..even though it's always in clearing!
Reply 6

Is the course like 30% pysics or is it more and is it interesting ?

Thanks again Liv and except more questions :smile:

Sorry I am late replying, I've got exams this week. YAY! But as of Weds I'm off for a month (great thing about Uni!)

Personally I HATE physics with a passion. But I'm more of a biology person, so its completely upto to what you like!

I'd say its probably less than 30%. But that is Southampton, so please dont quote me on that for anything other place! It focuses on sound (acoustics etc) and you need to know to understand how it interacts in rooms and ears (most importantly!).

If you are (like me) a physics hater dont panic because they use the same theories over and over again in different modules so its reinforced in your head! You only really have it for one exam, and its not really relevant for much else. Just background knowledge so that you understand why you need sound-proof booths for example.

I didnt find it interesting, but thats a personal view! There are loads of other modules for me that I love. Looking back the exam isnt too difficult once you get your head around it.
So are far as did physics put me off it, nah! It was avoided a bit more in revision!

Hope that answers your question!

Liv
Reply 7
Original post by HumanNature1992
Hey there, where else did you apply to? What grades did you get at the end of A-levels? I was deterred from applying to Southampton because their requirements were the highest of all those offering Audiology:eek:..even though it's always in clearing!

I applied to Bristol, Manchester, DeMontfort, Southampton and Aston Birmingham.

I got BBC overall! Just shows that A's arent everything! (shocking i know considering Southampton asked for ABB)
What happened was that I put Bristol 1st and Southampton 2nd. Bristol wanted 3B's and I just missed out so I got rejected and Southampton accepted me. My year has a lot of people come from clearing who didn't get into Medicine and so when it comes to clearing, people who apply for a medicine-like degree, they have A's but not A*'s and so thats how they get an interview. So I presume (dont quote me on this, just my thoughts!) that they save clearing places for those who have A's but didnt get in (so they can have some geeks! lol)

I would apply to Southampton anyway, you never know what could happen, and its more than your final grade they take into your consideration, its how you come across in the interview and what your personal statement is like. Both of those choices are your chance to SHINE :smile: You can tell them what you know about Audiology, how you'd love to be on the course and how you want to be at Uni!

Hope that answers your question.

Liv
Reply 8

Sorry I missed this bit!

Its challenging I have to admit, I say that as it is the next step in education. Its like how your A-levels were harder than GCSEs. Its a new topic on top of that. You just have to get into the swing of not being spoon-fed the answers like the do at school. Its like that for any course, but its because its a different style of teaching. If you do get stuck, you have to be proactive! Thats what I found the hardest part of this year, the adjustment!

Each new topic is bit like "WTF?" but as soon as you read books, ask questions it gets easier.

Hope that helps

Liv
Original post by Liv--
I applied to Bristol, Manchester, DeMontfort, Southampton and Aston Birmingham.

I got BBC overall! Just shows that A's arent everything! (shocking i know considering Southampton asked for ABB)
What happened was that I put Bristol 1st and Southampton 2nd. Bristol wanted 3B's and I just missed out so I got rejected and Southampton accepted me. My year has a lot of people come from clearing who didn't get into Medicine and so when it comes to clearing, people who apply for a medicine-like degree, they have A's but not A*'s and so thats how they get an interview. So I presume (dont quote me on this, just my thoughts!) that they save clearing places for those who have A's but didnt get in (so they can have some geeks! lol)

I would apply to Southampton anyway, you never know what could happen, and its more than your final grade they take into your consideration, its how you come across in the interview and what your personal statement is like. Both of those choices are your chance to SHINE :smile: You can tell them what you know about Audiology, how you'd love to be on the course and how you want to be at Uni!

Hope that answers your question.

Liv

See this is the thing! Hopefully i'll get the BBB that Manchester (my first choice will offer me) but there is a niggling chance I might mess up and get BBC. I'm hoping that Manchester will still accept me due to it being my first choice - but I guess you never know. Hmm I might have to apply for Southampton now, I was put off originally because of the grade requirements on the site but your predicament has made me look past that!
My course shares the same core modules as the audiology at DeMontfort, if thats any use to you?

Quick Reply

Latest