The Student Room Group

RAF OASC pilot tests

Can someone PLEASE give me an example of the pilot battery tests such as the instrument comprehension tests and explain in much detail so i so i can understand it before going to OASC!
Reply 1
No the reason it's not on here is because the RAF don't want it to be, there is no point worrying it's a test of your innate ability to perform these tasks not revise and revise and revise and learn how to pass the test, what would be the point in that?

As many people have said in the forum if you want to join the RAF your going to have to get used to not knowing everything before something happens.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Multitasking. Quick mental arithmetic, logic puzzles, hand-eye coordination tests. Memory tests. Broadly speaking, those are the main 'focuses'.
Reply 3
Original post by craglyboy

No the reason it's not on here is because the RAF don't want it to be, there is no point worrying it's a test of your innate ability to perform these tasks not revise and revise and revise and learn how to pass the test, what would be the point in that?

As many people have said in the forum if you want to join the RAF your going to have to get used to not knowing everything before something happens.

Then how can I learn how to use and do all these?, "measure of general and spatial awareness using basic aircraft instrumentation (alt, art horiz, vertical speed, air speed, compass aswell as turn and bank). First part uses just the artificial horizon and compass to identify the correct orientation of an aircraft from a set of pictures, the second part uses all 6 instruments and given a number of verbal descriptions of orientation. You then have determine which description matches what you have on screen"?
Reply 4
Original post by RikArk
Then how can I learn how to use and do all these?, "measure of general and spatial awareness using basic aircraft instrumentation (alt, art horiz, vertical speed, air speed, compass aswell as turn and bank). First part uses just the artificial horizon and compass to identify the correct orientation of an aircraft from a set of pictures, the second part uses all 6 instruments and given a number of verbal descriptions of orientation. You then have determine which description matches what you have on screen"?

That's kinda the point. When you get there the tests will be totally unlike anything you have ever tried before! You'll be given all the instructions you need and more than enough practice attempts (believe me I was there very recently). If you want to do well for pilot you should try playing lots of computer games and multitasking, work on your mental arithmetic and everything else people have mentioned.
Also I wouldn't worry about doing too well in the tests, even if you do score very competitively you will more than likely have at least an 18+ month wait before you can progress (according to the boarding officer who briefed us) due to the current recruitment situation. If this happens you could very well have to retake the aptitude tests again at a later date.
Reply 5
Original post by RikArk

You can't that's the point it's your innate ability to perform the task they are interested in not how well you can do it after practising. You can't practise for this trust me. Do a bit of S/D/T relax and don't get worked up about it that's what messed me up once I relaxed I started to perform really well, shame about the memory right at the start which cocked me up.
Reply 6
don't get worked up about it that's what messed me up once I relaxed I started to perform really well, shame about the memory right at the start which cocked me up.

I had a very similar problem, got a bit flustered over one of the VR test that had the highest weighting for my branch and ended up getting just below the cut off score for that single test (the orange line on the Stanine chart on the results page) so even though I got extremely competitive results for every branch, that one test scuppered me for what I wanted to do!
Seriously though, just relax and enjoy it, you won't experience anything else like it in your life!
Reply 7
Original post by jacet

Original post by jacet
That's kinda the point. When you get there the tests will be totally unlike anything you have ever tried before! You'll be given all the instructions you need and more than enough practice attempts (believe me I was there very recently). If you want to do well for pilot you should try playing lots of computer games and multitasking, work on your mental arithmetic and everything else people have mentioned.
Also I wouldn't worry about doing too well in the tests, even if you do score very competitively you will more than likely have at least an 18+ month wait before you can progress (according to the boarding officer who briefed us) due to the current recruitment situation. If this happens you could very well have to retake the aptitude tests again at a later date.
Which career did you go for primarily?
Reply 8
I went for pilot and scored excellent in pilot related tests but failed some for ATC which were to do with the stupid UAV test and memory cause they were early on in my battery of tests so my score was a low pass of 130 was absolutely gutted
Reply 9

I went for pilot and scored excellent in pilot related tests but failed some for ATC which were to do with the stupid UAV test and memory cause they were early on in my battery of tests so my score was a low pass of 130 was absolutely gutted

So basically you need to get higher scores to be considered for other careers despite going for pilot. And what was the UAV test about?
Reply 10
Original post by RikArk
So basically you need to get higher scores to be considered for other careers despite going for pilot. And what was the UAV test about?

You are graded on all roles that require apptitude testing when you go to OASC. They are each weighted differently thus you get different scores come out for each branch. I passed the test related to pilot easily but failed ATC miserably so even though if you were to look at my stanines in the result paper it would look like an easy pass I only scraped a pass of 130 because of tests not related (directly) to pilot.

The UAV test is a multi tasking test doing up to 8 different tasks at a time.
Reply 11

You are graded on all roles that require apptitude testing when you go to OASC. They are each weighted differently thus you get different scores come out for each branch. I passed the test related to pilot easily but failed ATC miserably so even though if you were to look at my stanines in the result paper it would look like an easy pass I only scraped a pass of 130 because of tests not related (directly) to pilot.

The UAV test is a multi tasking test doing up to 8 different tasks at a time.

So what are you doing now, are you still with the RAF. could you at least give an example of the instrument comprehension tests?I don't understand what you mean when you said you passed the test for pilot but then getting a low score of 130 because you don't pass tests related to pilot? (Sorry to keep bothering you!)
Reply 12
Your score is dependant on all parts of the test even the parts which arent related to your branch to give you a total score. When you go for your results you will get an overview of each role which will have parts of the tests you have to pass to pass that branch, on top of that you have an overall score which for pilot has been increased from 112 to 125 this year.

Not much to say about instrument test I'm afraid it's just your ability to intepret the data from the instuments, they give you 6 options to choose from which are very similar to each other.

I'm at university at the moment not holding out much hope for the RAF they were rather blunt about my chances and chances of other people, they did strongly reccomed that if nothing happens this time round that I re apply after university and tbh the way the RAF is at this time I would much rather wait a few years have a degree and join the RAF in a better state than it is now (hopefully)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13

Your score is dependant on all parts of the test even the parts which arent related to your branch to give you a total score. When you go for your results you will get an overview of each role which will have parts of the tests you have to pass to pass that branch, on top of that you have an overall score which for pilot has been increased from 112 to 125 this year.

Not much to say about instrument test I'm afraid it's just your ability to intepret the data from the instuments, they give you 6 options to choose from which are very similar to each other.

I'm at university at the moment not holding out much hope for the RAF they were rather blunt about my chances and chances of other people, they did strongly reccomed that if nothing happens this time round that I re apply after university and tbh the way the RAF is at this time I would much rather wait a few years have a degree and join the RAF in a better state than it is now (hopefully)

One very last question, on the instrument test, does the test explain to you how to use "the alt, art horiz, vertical speed, air speed, compass aswell as turn and bank" and how to interpret and do the calculations as i am a complete stranger to those instruments.
Reply 14
Original post by RikArk
One very last question, on the instrument test, does the test explain to you how to use "the alt, art horiz, vertical speed, air speed, compass aswell as turn and bank" and how to interpret and do the calculations as i am a complete stranger to those instruments.

Yes, there is absolutely no required knowledge for the tests other than being able to read instructions and press buttons. Everything will be explained before you are able to work through some examples, the correct answers are then given to the examples and explained to help you understand further. As long as you are able to pick things up quickly you will be fine (that's part of the test). All you need to walk into the room with is your eyes, ears, a few fingers, two feet and a large amount of potential do do well.
Reply 15
I wouldn't worry too much about the tests. If you really are a stranger to those dials then take solace in the knowledge that the aptitude tests measure not only performance but how well you improve, so if you get the first few questions wrong but then get the hang of it and ace the rest you'll do fine.

The less you worry about it all the better you'll do.

Quick Reply

Latest