The Student Room Group

Getting Groped in Clubs

Hi, so basically I was wondering about this after reading the BBC's latest news on sexual harrassment. Now, at clubs, girls are grabbed and groped. Fact. But when is it too far? I mean, myself like most girls get the unwanted bum pinches/leers/getting grabbed. However there have been a couple of occassions where I feel it's gone further than that and it just hasn't registered with me, and hasn't shocked me, because it's in a club. If it was anywhere else.. it would be sexual harrassment.

But for example, the other night I was out and a man came up behind me in a club while I was at the bar which was pretty quiet, grabbed a boob in one hand and an ass cheek in the other and pulled me towards him from behind quite aggressively, rubbing his erection onto the ass cheek he wasn't squeezing. This was pretty bad. I've had other similar experiences and just wondered, how do you react? Do you think it's okay because it's in a club? Why are me and my friends so desensitized to this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
Hi, so basically I was wondering about this after reading the BBC's latest news on sexual harrassment. Now, at clubs, girls are grabbed and groped. Fact. But when is it too far? I mean, myself like most girls get the unwanted bum pinches/leers/getting grabbed. However there have been a couple of occassions where I feel it's gone further than that and it just hasn't registered with me, and hasn't shocked me, because it's in a club. If it was anywhere else.. it would be sexual harrassment.

But for example, the other night I was out and a man came up behind me in a club while I was at the bar which was pretty quiet, grabbed a boob in one hand and an ass cheek in the other and pulled me towards him from behind quite aggressively, rubbing his erection onto the ass cheek he wasn't squeezing. This was pretty bad. I've had other similar experiences and just wondered, how do you react? Do you think it's okay because it's in a club? Why are me and my friends so desensitized to this?

If a guy did that to me, I'd turn round and punch the **** in the face!

A simple bum squeeze or grope deserves a 'piss off' or similar, or at least some kind of sarcastic remark.

It is sexual harrassment, but when you're out and everyones drunk, you can't really take it too seriously I guess.

But for example, the other night I was out and a man came up behind me in a club while I was at the bar which was pretty quiet, grabbed a boob in one hand and an ass cheek in the other and pulled me towards him from behind quite aggressively, rubbing his erection onto the ass cheek he wasn't squeezing.

This gave me a semi.

How did you react? :eek:

I would have either punched him or shout at him. I hate guys that do stuff like that. :mad:
Reply 4

Are you kidding? Video it and take them to ****ing court.
I guess I'm such an Oxford boy, just don't even realise this stuff happens.

Point the guy out to a bouncer, he'll get kicked out so fast it'll make his head spin, then give yourself a chuckle
Reply 6
I'd say that is way to far. For all he knows you may in a relationship, or a dyke, or whatever. Anything sexual while not reciprocated or forced is wrong imo.
Original post by harmonize
I'd say that is way to far. For all he knows you may in a relationship, or a dyke, or whatever. Anything sexual while not reciprocated or forced is wrong imo.

I am in a relationship. My boyfriend was at the club but didn't see! Though he went looking for him when I told him haha. And yeah, even if I wasn't in a relationship that still doesn't give him the right I think.
It's because you're a woman, because you're in a club, and because most of the time these guys are drunk off their faces and/or think they're all that.

The reaction that most people would have is to turn around and either slap/push them away and/or tell them to **** off. Guys like that are never going to change and you're always going to meet types like that whilst you're at a club unfortunately.

All you can do is let them know that what they have done is wrong and that you'd like them to piss off basically and leave you alone. Obviously you don't want to aggrevate them too much but as long as you're with some friends then things shouldn't get out of hand too much. If things do then just let the bar staff know how inappropriate they are being and they should let the bouncers know who then should kick them out.
Reply 9
As a guy, I'd never do it. But feel free to smack him (us) in the balls if we do it as its totally uncalled for.
I think women need to make more a point about things like this, otherwise guys think they can get away with it. Tell a bouncer if someone gropes you. Get the guy kicked out. Don't just tell him to piss off, or ignore it.

FYI, I don't want to make women sound the cause, obviously they're not, I'm just pointing out that without deterrent guys will grab and grope all they want.
I think the worst time is probably when a guy came up behind me on the dancefloor and put his hand up my dress and rubbed my crotch. I just froze for a second then pushed him away and went to a different floor. :frown:

I think all you can really do is let them know you're not having any of it. :dontknow:
Reply 12
Original post by bj_945
Are you kidding? Video it and take them to ****ing court.
I guess I'm such an Oxford boy, just don't even realise this stuff happens.

How would being an Oxford boy make a difference? There are plenty of clubs there for these sort of scenarios to happen eg Kukia, Park End, Clems ect. People in Oxford are equally as slutty and rapisty as anywhere else
My best mate (who is female and i be male) got groped when we were out in town, rather than say anything she just giggled then bent over. I was horrified and was about to hit him but it turns out she was jst taking off her shoe which she then turned around and whacked him with it! And it was a stilleto. The guy ran off crying with a cut accorss his face and i fell over laughing
Reply 14
Original post by Bloodbath
How would being an Oxford boy make a difference? There are plenty of clubs there for these sort of scenarios to happen eg Kukia, Park End, Clems ect. People in Oxford are equally as slutty and rapisty as anywhere else

I've been to some of those, never seen it happen like that.
Yeah, I hate it too. A guy grabbed my lady parts (from behind, so I couldn't see him!) and I dunno it just totally freaked me out and ruined my night tbh. If I'd have seen who it was..... god help them haha.
Reply 16
I've had it happen to me a few times but generally speaking if i cant get rid of them on my own, i'll bring it to the attention of the bouncers.

One guy actually had his hands in my knickers in one club so i turned round and left hooked him. Saw him being removed by security with an ice pack on his face not long after that. That's karma :wink:
Reply 17
I prefer the more gypsy-esque 'grabbing' to casual groping: if your after a mature way to get a girlfriend that is...
Urghh so disgusting how men act. Touching you is so inappropriate. When i'm out with my friends we all look out for each other and push men away, at one point there was a guy following us for ages and trying to start trouble with the guys that was with us so we went to the bouncer and got him kicked out.

It's ridiculous that some men think that just because we are at a club we are looking for it.
Original post by mandingo666
This gave me a semi.

Virgin alert.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending