The Student Room Group

Unemployment. Is it effecting you or someone close?

I know unemployment might not be affecting you directly now. Is anyone seeing a member of family struggle with life? is anyone worried about how there life is going to wind up in the world of work?

I know as students, debt is the main problem for some and as Uni/College/School comes to a close (for those of us leaving the world of education) what are people plans? How will we survive! It seems to me that unless you are blessed with an opportunity to go straight into a field of work that you have studied and stressed so hard to be part of, that we are going to be ''that pizza delivery guy'' or ''that shop girl''! Income is good don't get me wrong and being employed is good.. but are people full filling there life's worth? Do some of you not have a choice (regards out goings) to take whatever comes your way?

I am nearing the end of my chosen course (art.. tricky) and have been trying to prepare for what comes next. I do have bills to pay, a belly to feed and yes.. i like having hot water when i need it. But for me no matter where i look there seems to be nothing out there that would fulfill me mentally as a career.. The job centre has shoved some opportunities in my face, 6 hours a week working in a chicken factory was the best.

It used to be the once you have a job, it was your job for life you'd climb the ladder and happy... content. But as the Bloke i was chatting to the other day said '' upon average its normal to have 4-5 jobs during your adult life''

I'd like to know people fears, people plans or if people have been given that one chance to shine and achieve and progress?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Havlev
I know unemployment might not be effecting you directly now. Is anyone seeing a member of family struggle with life? is anyone worried about how there life is going to wind up in the world of work?

I know as students, debt is the main problem for some and as Uni/College/School comes to a close (for those of us leaving the world of education) what are people plans? How will we survive! It seems to me that unless you are blessed with an opportunity to go straight into a field of work that you have studied and stressed so hard to be part of, that we are going to be ''that pizza delivery guy'' or ''that shop girl''! Income is good don't get me wrong and being employed is good.. but are people full filling there life's worth? Do some of you not have a choice (regards out goings) to take whatever comes your way?

I am nearing the end of my chosen course (art.. tricky) and have been trying to prepare for what comes next. I do have bills to pay, a belly to feed and yes.. i like having hot water when i need it. But for me no matter where i look there seems to be nothing out there that would fulfill me mentally as a career.. The job centre has shoved some opportunities in my face, 6 hours a week working in a chicken factory was the best.

It used to be the once you have a job, it was your job for life you'd climb the ladder and happy... content. But as the Bloke i was chatting to the other day said '' upon average its normal to have 4-5 jobs during your adult life''

I'd like to know people fears, people plans or if people have been given that one chance to shine and achieve and progress?

If you don't have a good grasp of the English language, then I'm not surprised that it's affecting you..
Reply 2
I hate to be "that guy" but its affecting.

And no its not thankfully.
Reply 3
Original post by The-Real-One
If you don't have a good grasp of the English language, then I'm not surprised that it's affecting you..

Its a spelling mistake. I have just joined so why not give me advice on how to correct the mistake than choose to embarrass me?
Original post by Aj12

Don't worry! I love to be "that guy"..
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12

No its okay. its that guy ^ who I'm worried about. do you know how to change the thread title?
Original post by Havlev

... yeah i heard this too, except the man i spoke to said 3.

Also statistics say that the person who actually goes on to have a career in what they studied for is the exception not the rule, it's very usual for a student to completely change pathways once they get into the world of work.

As for unemployment, it's affected my whole family. My mother can't find a job because she's spent the last 17 years raising a family and has no work experience because she left school as a teen mum, my grandparents can only find minimum wage factory work, and i have really good GCSE results (10 A*'s, 8 A's, 2 B's, 2 C's just so ya know :wink: ) and have volunteer and work experience and just simply can't find a job. I'm not being fussy, have applied for every part time job available on the job site, and i'm just not getting replies.

There isn't much available at all, especially for no one with much paid work experience.

Businesses can choose to be picky even for minimum wage jobs because absolutely everyone is applying.

I just hope it picks up soon :smile:
Reply 7
Oh. just looked effecting up... don't i feel stupid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Well yes, it's affecting me in that I am unemployed and I'm finding it hard to get work. But I do about 20 hours a week voluntary work and some casual paid work like publishing my short stories, working on my novel and doing graphic design for a few bob.

The key is to keep busy.
Reply 9
Original post by Havlev
I know unemployment might not be affecting you directly now. Is anyone seeing a member of family struggle with life? is anyone worried about how there life is going to wind up in the world of work?

I left sixth form last July; you've got a big shock coming...
I've been working in the same job for 4 years now, and myself and all my colleagues (including my mum - who is my manager) are now facing redundancy or re-deployment. There's one admin job and 8 admin staff needing the job.

My Dad was made redundant 2 years ago and has been working in a job that pays half of what his main career paid before he was made redundant.

So yes, I'm worried about how I'm ever going to have enough income to move out of my parents home.
Reply 11
Original post by Havlev

I am nearing the end of my chosen course (art.. tricky) and have been trying to prepare for what comes next. I do have bills to pay, a belly to feed and yes.. i like having hot water when i need it. But for me no matter where i look there seems to be nothing out there that would fulfill me mentally as a career.. The job centre has shoved some opportunities in my face, 6 hours a week working in a chicken factory was the best.It used to be the once you have a job, it was your job for life you'd climb the ladder and happy... content. But as the Bloke i was chatting to the other day said '' upon average its normal to have 4-5 jobs during your adult life''

:coma: :ahee: :awesome:
Reply 12
It's a problem in my profession: law. I've seen plenty of people taken on for legal traineeships then found themselves dumped after two years where previously retention rates would be extremely high. It's been significant in the public sector: I know people who are basically dead men walking, knowing fine well that they're going to be out of work very soon.
Reply 13
Unemployed since 2006, been looking for work for past few years. Apparently people don't want to hire the smart-looking guy who got 100% in his interview numeracy/literacy test and have experience. -_-

That PhD will have to wait: "You can be whatever you want to be and whatever you set your heart and mind to.

As long as you have money. GIVE US MONEY."

In future, I will probably thank Britain for these roadblocks by leaving the country and taking my work somewhere else. The chavs are welcome to it.

P.S. It is suicidally depressing, as one girl showed recently by killing herself, so I don't think about HOW I'm getting to my ideal future, just letting time run and waiting for my chance to get employed, so I can take my boss' job.
(edited 13 years ago)
Two of my best friends are unemployed and desperate for work. One is a uni graduate who graduated a good two years ago or so and since then has only had one real job which was at Cadbury world in Birmingham. He was made redundant after six months or so.

My other mate worked for Threshers (as did I) but when they went bust he lost his job. Since then he's had one job which was for B&Q but after a mere 4 months or so they made him redundant.

So yeah, it's pretty crappy
I'm looking for a job too, and have been since November. I graduated in Biomedical sciences and sort of (arrogantly) expected to walk into a job! I really need something for 6 months because I'm off to study medicine in the autumn and as a graduate I am not entitled to much funding. I think a major problem is that the job centre just isn't equipped to help people who are qualified...it all seems to be catered towards people with no qualifications or past experience. When I first went the woman said 'oh, I don't think we'll be seeing much of you!' LOL, wrong! It would be nice if there was a little more help and support available for graduates. They see you have a degree and assume you'll have no problem.
Original post by LemonCookie
i have really good GCSE results (10 A*'s, 8 A's, 2 B's, 2 C's just so ya know :wink: )

You have 22 GCSEs?!
Reply 17
Original post by Havlev

Does that mean 4 or 5 completely different jobs, or does it mean working for 4 or 5 different companies? If it's the latter then that's hardly shocking.

My brother's currently unemployed and it really is making him miserable. But the thing is, so was his last job which is why he quit.

I suppose I was quite lucky. I got a job I wanted a few months after graduating.
Oi! There's nothing wrong with being a 'shop girl' :s-smilie:
Reply 19
There's nothing wrong with being a shop girl if you want to get promoted.

There is something very wrong with you if you're content just being a till-bitch until you retire, though.

At the same time, saying is different to doing. Chavs going to interviews will always say their long term goal is to be a manager of the shop they're applying to. That doesn't mean they actually want to put the effort in to do that, that's just the best answer they could come up with and it sounds good, innit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending