The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
Hi, does anybody here do Classics AND Psychology modules? I know it's not offered as a degree, but I want to do both in the first year. However on the 2010-11 timetable, Classics 12pm clashes with Psychology for both semesters. I don't want to have to choose :frown:

Looks like you'll have to choose if they clash, sorry :tongue:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Ecosse_14
Looks like you'll have to choose if they clash, sorry :tongue:

.... :bawling:
Well, if the first year roughly corresponds to A Level can I ditch psychology at 1000 level then -- maybe do 2000 instead? Or.. would it be possible to drop psych (even though I applied for it?) Or does St Andrews put videos of lectures up on the intranet cause I could then look them up outside of 'lesson' time?
I really, really want to do Classics! :frown:

edit: also I'm pretty sure that advisors are supposed to bend over backwards to suit your every whim... I'll cry in front of mine if I have to :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Well, if the first year roughly corresponds to A Level can I ditch psychology at 1000 level then -- maybe do 2000 instead? Or.. would it be possible to drop psych (even though I applied for it?) Or does St Andrews put videos of lectures up on the intranet cause I could then look them up outside of 'lesson' time?

edit: also I'm pretty sure that advisors are supposed to bend over backwards to suit your every whim... I'll cry in front of mine if I have to :wink:

Um no, you can't skip 1000 level psychology I'm afraid. And you can't entirely drop psychology if you applied for it, I think you need to do it in at least your 1st semester. And no, they don't put videos up on the internet for you :tongue:

Your adviser could let you do it but it's very unlikely.
Reply 5563

If you want to do Classics, do you want to learn both Latin and Greek, or are you planning to do it in translation?
Reply 5564
Original post by teafil
Thanks so much!

Regarding food... I'm actually Romanian and here we don't have school lunches so I've never really eaten at a canteen. But as you described things it sounds pretty well. University Halls is where i hope to go so I'm glad i ran over you:biggrin:

Also wanted to ask: Do you make it to most lunches? Most people going with self-catered say they do so because it's very likely to miss lunches.

And what do you mean by bathrooms are cleaned every day? Is there some stuff doing it, or do the students take care of that?

Thanks soo much!!!

I have to admit I do miss lunches some days because my lectures finish at 1 and I sometimes have a tutorial at 2 so I don't bother going back. But you can do it. Lunch is from 12.25-1.25. What are you studying? If you're a science student then you're literally 2 minutes from Uni Hall so even if your lectures finish at 1, you make it back for lunch with plenty of time. If you are an arts student then it's a bit more of a push but you can do it. You can also get a packed lunch if you are going to miss lunch which consists of a sandwich (with your choice of filling), a piece of fruit, a yoghurt, a bottle of water and some digestive biscuits.

and yes there are cleaners. They clean the bathrooms and kitchen every day except weekends. They also empty your bins and clean your room once a week (hoover the floor and clean your sink).
Original post by Sappho
If you want to do Classics, do you want to learn both Latin and Greek, or are you planning to do it in translation?

The latter, unless I decide I have an undying passion for all things Classics when I get there. I have enough subjects I want to do without thinking of fitting in Latin/ Greek too! but I've decided that if they won't let me do it, I'll just sit in on the lectures as and when I'm free. It's what I do now, in any case :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5566
The latter, unless I decide I have an undying passion for all things Classics when I get there. I have enough subjects I want to do without thinking of fitting in Latin/ Greek too! but I've decided that if they won't let me do it, I'll just sit in on the lectures as and when I'm free. It's what I do now, in any case :colondollar:

You could always take up the first year modules in second year. You wont be able to take it at honours but you'll still get some Classics.
or you could do Ancient History, Latin or Greek. not quite the same, I know, but as close as you'll get.
Original post by Oh-WOW
You could always take up the first year modules in second year. You wont be able to take it at honours but you'll still get some Classics.
or you could do Ancient History, Latin or Greek. not quite the same, I know, but as close as you'll get.

What a good idea! This will be my fall strategy. But knowing my terrible luck re Classics, I bet I again won't be able to fit it in... Not sure about the other options in lieu of Classics, but I will definitely check them out in that case. Thanks :smile:

But what are the chances the timetables are reformulated entirely for next year? After all, the ones I've been looking at are 2010-11.
(edited 13 years ago)
But what are the chances the timetables are reformulated entirely for next year? After all, the ones I've been looking at are 2010-11.

Quite unlikely I'm afraid. I know they've been the way they are for quite a while now.
Reply 5569
What a good idea! This will be my fall strategy. But knowing my terrible luck re Classics, I bet I again won't be able to fit it in... Not sure about the other options in lieu of Classics, but I will definitely check them out in that case. Thanks :smile:

You could try Ancient History in first year and then do classics first year modules in second year. It's very unlikely that the timetables will be reformulated and it's also very unlikely that your adviser will let you do classics if it clashes. They'll try and persuade you to do something similar instead.
Original post by Ecosse_14
Quite unlikely I'm afraid. I know they've been the way they are for quite a while now.

Dagnabbit :grumble:

Original post by Oh-WOW
You could try Ancient History in first year and then do classics first year modules in second year. It's very unlikely that the timetables will be reformulated and it's also very unlikely that your adviser will let you do classics if it clashes. They'll try and persuade you to do something similar instead.

AH looks like the slightly less becoming cousin, but not too shabby at all. I'll try my best to persuade them anyway :tongue:

edit: AH actually conflicts with both English sessions. So that's off the cards too. Och, I give up! Will just see how it pans out
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5571
Original post by Oh-WOW
I have to admit I do miss lunches some days because my lectures finish at 1 and I sometimes have a tutorial at 2 so I don't bother going back. But you can do it. Lunch is from 12.25-1.25. What are you studying? If you're a science student then you're literally 2 minutes from Uni Hall so even if your lectures finish at 1, you make it back for lunch with plenty of time. If you are an arts student then it's a bit more of a push but you can do it. You can also get a packed lunch if you are going to miss lunch which consists of a sandwich (with your choice of filling), a piece of fruit, a yoghurt, a bottle of water and some digestive biscuits.

and yes there are cleaners. They clean the bathrooms and kitchen every day except weekends. They also empty your bins and clean your room once a week (hoover the floor and clean your sink).

that sounds amazing :biggrin: I'm a future medical student and i think the university halls are pretty close to the medical school:smile: Still i'm not sure I'm going to go to uni halls as the accommodation application wouldn't let me specify (i only had to say i prefer standard and catered... but i guess you already know that). I do hope i get to go there :smile: it sounds pretty amazing:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 5572
Original post by teafil
that sounds amazing :biggrin: I'm a future medical student and i think the university halls are pretty close to the medical school:smile: Still i'm not sure I'm going to go to uni halls as the accommodation application wouldn't let me specify (i only had to say i prefer standard and catered... but i guess you already know that). I do hope i get to go there :smile: it sounds pretty amazing:biggrin::biggrin:

Did you ask for a single or shared room?
and yep, Uni hall is pretty close to Medical building.
It is great fun and we love a good party (There are free vodka parties throughout the year) but I'm sure where ever you end up, you'll enjoy it.
Reply 5573
Original post by Oh-WOW
Did you ask for a single or shared room?
and yep, Uni hall is pretty close to Medical building.
It is great fun and we love a good party (There are free vodka parties throughout the year) but I'm sure where ever you end up, you'll enjoy it.

single:smile: But the application form looked like: Standard catered (Melvile halls...... University halls) so i basically checked i wanted standard and catered but there were loads of accommodation between those brackets so I don't know how they will figure out which one i actually prefer :frown:
Reply 5574

But you have checked for Classical Studies, right? Because Classics is in the original languages.
I think what Oh-Wow suggested is a good idea, to do some Latin or Greek or Ancient History:smile:
Reply 5575
Original post by teafil
single:smile: But the application form looked like: Standard catered (Melvile halls...... University halls) so i basically checked i wanted standard and catered but there were loads of accommodation between those brackets so I don't know how they will figure out which one i actually prefer :frown:

Yeh. You aren't meant to have a preference. they just allocate.
But if you ask for single you are more likely to get Uni hall because there aren't many single rooms in Sallies, Regs, Macintosh or JBH.
Good luck. Hopefully you'll get what you want.
Whats uni like ? :biggrin:
Reply 5577
Original post by Sappho
But you have checked for Classical Studies, right? Because Classics is in the original languages.
I think what Oh-Wow suggested is a good idea, to do some Latin or Greek or Ancient History:smile:

Theres not an individual classics class on the timetable. Theres latin and greek classes. so the classics on the timetable is classical studies.
:frown: Fine then don't answer...:cry:
Reply 5579
Original post by blueray
Whats uni like ? :biggrin:

first of all, that's a pretty general question.
do you mean uni in general or st andrews because uni is different for everyone at different places.
do you mean academically or socially. I don't really know what you want to say.
And I would appreciate it if you don't demand I must answer in the way you did. I'm ovbiously going to scroll down the page and reply as I go down. and reply to the sensible questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending