The Student Room Group

IGCSE/Resit/Med possible loophole?

I decided a couple of years ago that I wanted a career in medicine. The problem was that I'd left school at 16 with pretty awful GCSE results (6 Cs and 3 Ds) and had done nothing other than gone travelling and worked in a bar for several years. I subsequently got ajob caring for people with mental disabilities (to get experience in a caring role as well as money). I did this job for a couple of years, saved up, and then paid to study A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I finished my A levels last summer and achieved AAA, I was ecstatic, but I have since learned that I still don't stand a chance of getting into med school with my current GCSEs. :frown:

After considering doing a Biomed/Biochem degree instead, I decided it wasn't really what I wanted and I'd essentially be giving up. To stand a chance, I concluded I would have to redo GCSEs. However, having done some research, I've discovered med schools do not accept students who have done resits either. I was feeling very dejected and depressed when it suddenly occurred to me that if I were to sit IGCSEs instead of redoing GCSEs, technically they would not count as resits since they are different qualifications.

What do you think? Would this work?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Very sneaky :smile:

I guess it could work. Like you said, they are not really resits because they are an entirely different qualification. One thing to bare in mind though is that IGCSEs are a lot harder then GCSEs. Although I suppose if you've already got AAA at A Level it shouldn't be too much trouble. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Erebos
Very sneaky :smile:

I guess it could work. Like you said, they are not really resits because they are an entirely different qualification. One thing to bare in mind though is that IGCSEs are a lot harder then GCSEs. Although I suppose if you've already got AAA at A Level it shouldn't be too much trouble. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Reply 3
I'm not sure about if you do the whole lot - but I was going to resit SOME of my GCSE's (3-4), and a lot of med schools were fine with it - I'd email them before going down the iGCSE route - 'cause then you'd still have to declare your GCSEs..
Reply 4
Original post by Jadio
I'm not sure about if you do the whole lot - but I was going to resit SOME of my GCSE's (3-4), and a lot of med schools were fine with it - I'd email them before going down the iGCSE route - 'cause then you'd still have to declare your GCSEs..

May I ask which med schools these were? All of the ones I've looked into specifically say no resits.

Tbh I was thinking of omitting my GCSEs from my UCAS form if I did IGCSEs and did really well. I sat my original GCSEs eight years ago now, I don't really see how they are relevant and they certainly wouldn't help my application.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Mine were also 8 years ago, you have to put any qualifications you have on your form, if the universities find out you could be thrown out.

Here are some emails I just had a quick look at in my inbox...

UEA
Dear Jade

Thanks for your email

We do not usually consider GCSEs for mature students, we would normally just look at the predicted A level grades in terms of considering an application. All candidates are requried to register for and take the UKCAT prior to application (www.ukcat.ac.uk <http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/> )

From Peninsula
Dear Jade

Thank you for your email.

For A100, 2011 entry the typical offer for applicants offering GCE A levels will be:

AAA from 3 GCE A levels, including two science subjects from Biology, Chemistry or Physics
4 subjects must be studied at AS level
If Biology and Chemistry are not offered at A level, they must be studied at AS level
General Studies is not included in any offer.

Students are also required to take UKCAT.

Provided your GCSES include a C at Maths and English they would be satisfactory for application. At present it is not our policy to rank candidates by their GCSE grades when selecting for interview.

From UCL
Dear Miss Dixon,

Thank you for your email. I can confirm that, as we only require grade B in Maths and English Language, there is no need to resit any of these from our perspective (though if you wish to do so for your own purposes this is of course fine). Academically, what we would then expect of you at A level is the same as what we would expect of any student sitting A levels; that three A2 subjects are offered to include Chemistry and Biology with AAA predictions included on the UCAS form, as well as an additional AS level at at least a pass grade. The entire programme must be begun and completed in no more than two years, with all three A2 modules of each subject sat together with no resits.

All candidates must sit the BMAT in their year of entry.

You should also note that we would expect to see a more comprehensive portfolio of relevant work experience from an adult that from a school leaver, for whom age restrictions on many posts working with vulnerable groups limit opportunities.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Pam Irwin

From Imperial
Dear Jade.

You can re-sit GCSEs but not A- Levels. We do accept human biology as one of your A- levels.

Kind regards,

S Shepherd
Undergraduate Medicine Team

Theyy're the first ones that popped up.. I know Manchester allow it. Others I can't say for definite, but the only place I remember saying you CAN'T do it was SGUL.
Reply 6
"4 subjects must be studied at AS level"

I saw your profile before, Chucklefiend, and I thought it was because of this that you were rejected

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending