The Student Room Group

Don't trust my gf to take the pill.

Anon or delete.

So basically I really don't want kids at all. My gf doesn't really want them either but she's in the "I don't care" camp.

We don't use condoms anymore because she's on the pill. Problem is I don't trust her to take the pill. I mean you have to take it everyday at the same time for it to work right ? Now my gf is smart, I mean she's at a Russel group university so she should be able to take a pill at the same time. For this reason I don't know how to say "Do you take your pill properly ?" to her.

She's a bit ditzy if you know what I mean. I don't know what to do about it, because of this I have well not avoided having sex but I'm more hesitant.

I can't be the only guy who feels this way. I mean we all have days when we don't manage to do everything we're supposed to or we're really busy.

So what do I do aobut this ?

Scroll to see replies

Um, it's not that hard to take a pill every day. And you do realize it doesn't need to be taken at exactly the same time every day, right? And that missing a day very rarely doesn't make a difference?

You must think she's a complete idiot. Makes me wonder why you're even with her.
If she's doing a degree she probably doesn't want a kid either right now. They say you have to take it the same time every day yes, but tbh a few hours won't hurt much. You really should trust her if she's your gf. Not every girl is baby obsessed and wanting to trap a man.
biggest issue here is trust. If you can't trust someone to be following through on something you both agreed to(is this actually the case?) then you should't be having unprotected sex.
Reply 4
When she got the pill it would have been explained to her how to take it properly. If, for instance, she takes it an hour later than usual once or twice - it's no big deal. There is no problem with taking a pill "late" unless it's over 12 hours late. Just ask her when she takes it? If she sets an alarm on her phone or something? (This is the only way I remember to take mine!). If it's really bothering you, just suggest using condoms too?
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or delete.

So basically I really don't want kids at all. My gf doesn't really want them either but she's in the "I don't care" camp.

We don't use condoms anymore because she's on the pill. Problem is I don't trust her to take the pill. I mean you have to take it everyday at the same time for it to work right ? Now my gf is smart, I mean she's at a Russel group university so she should be able to take a pill at the same time. For this reason I don't know how to say "Do you take your pill properly ?" to her.

She's a bit ditzy if you know what I mean. I don't know what to do about it, because of this I have well not avoided having sex but I'm more hesitant.

I can't be the only guy who feels this way. I mean we all have days when we don't manage to do everything we're supposed to or we're really busy.

So what do I do aobut this ?

They say the same time everyday but as long as it's within 12 hours they say you're fine, tbh I missed a day completely accidentally once, completely forgot I hadn't taken it and nothing went wrong, it's pretty good coverage. What it does is it maintains your hormone levels at a point where you're not going to get pregnant, if you miss taking one then your hormone levels might start to change, but not drastically, I think if you missed 3 or 4 then you're in trouble, but just 1 or 2 is fine :smile:
Reply 6
Use condoms then?
It's not an exact science - you don't have to take it at precisely the same time every day and you don't necessarily get pregnant if you miss one.

Learn to trust your girlfriend. If she's in the 'I don't care about babies' camp, she'll probably be sure she takes her pill correctly.

I think you should talk to her about it. Tell her you've been thinking about the pill and are a bit panicked about it not working.. this won't make it sound like you don't trust her, it'll just make it sound like you care about preventing unplanned pregnancy.
Reply 8
Just remind her? A few missed pills here and there never hurt. Lol.
Reply 9
Get her to have the implant put in, then bareback till the cows come home
lmaaao that made lol

"ussel group university so she should be able to take a pill at the same time"
Taking pills every day can be really hard to remember.

Could she perhaps set an alarm to go off at the same time each day to help her remember? My phone can do this it's good.
Reply 12
Original post by Pink Bullets
Um, it's not that hard to take a pill every day. And you do realize it doesn't need to be taken at exactly the same time every day, right? And that missing a day very rarely doesn't make a difference?

You must think she's a complete idiot. Makes me wonder why you're even with her.

Missing a day "rarely makes a difference" ? Wow you're informed aren't you.

I got told that if you miss a day then it does increase your chances of getting pregnant.

I don't know what kind of life you live but it is easy to sometimes have busy days when you miss out on things. I happen to think she's far from an idiot. This is something I would be wary of regardless of how smart someone is. Don't assume how I see my gf.

Everyone here is saying "missing a day doesn't do much etc." which I did not read on the internet while doing research so how was I suposed to know.
Reply 13
try talking to her about the implant?
Original post by Manc990
Get her to have the implant put in, then bareback till the cows come home

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

kasmeh this is the best comment ever posted in my entire zindigi.

You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today! :frown:

definitely taking this line for future use :tongue:

OP, learn to trust her. Initially I was worried when my ex went on the pill but we talked regularly and she discussed her problems and I did occasional reminding. As said above, not all girls are baby-wanting women, especially when students. If anything, talk to her calmly and explain that there could be a financial strain or other issues, but don't be forceful or aggressive or rude; she has a mind of her own and she's not stupid, as long as she knows how the pill works and doesn't intentionally miss any, just trust her to take them on time, and daily. A bit of reminding never hurts...a bit of shoving down her throat, is weird.
(edited 13 years ago)
You have to trust her! It's the only way - and to be honest, you don't have to take it at the exact same time every day - just roughly! So as long as she's not really ditzy and forgets it by a day ( even then it's no crisis! ) or two then you"ll be fine!

I got told that if you miss a day then it does increase your chances of getting pregnant.

I don't know what kind of life you live but it is easy to sometimes have busy days when you miss out on things. I happen to think she's far from an idiot. This is something I would be wary of regardless of how smart someone is. Don't assume how I see my gf.

Everyone here is saying "missing a day doesn't do much etc." which I did not read on the internet while doing research so how was I suposed to know.

Yes, I am. Because, funnily enough, I happen to read the instructions that come with the pill. Clearly, you have not. So why don't you take the advice of someone who actually has read them and has been on the pill for five and a half years (without getting pregnant :O) before getting self-righteous and condescending about something you admittedly know little about?

I don't know what kind of life you live but it is easy to sometimes have busy days when you miss out on things.

Actually, it's pretty hard to forget to do something that stops you from getting pregnant when you don't want to be pregnant. Being pregnant is a pretty big deal for most women, it's not something we tend to take lightly. You don't seem to realize that your girlfriend has a vested interest in not getting pregnant. She's not taking the pill for your benefit.
(edited 13 years ago)
...then use condoms. better to be safe than sorry!

i generally take precautions: if i miss one, i make sure my bf knows.
Original post by Pink Bullets
Um, it's not that hard to take a pill every day. And you do realize it doesn't need to be taken at exactly the same time every day, right?

Oh, it can be, especially if you're not in the habit of taking regular medication. I'm not exactly stupid, but I still managed to forget to take my pill, and so have changed to the injection.

Whether or not the pill needs to be taken at the same time every day also depends on which pill she is on. The combined contraceptive pill has a larger window (I think), but the majority of progesterone only pills (except cerazette) need to be taken within the same 3 hours every day.

OP: Have you talked to her about what would happen if she did get pregnant?

Missing a pill DOES make you more likely to get pregnant for the 7 days following the missed pill (and obviously, missing more than one pill in a row increases this chance). After the missed pill, if she takes them regularly for 7 days, then she's fully protected again.

You clearly need to communicate more with each other.

Original post by Persephone9
Oh, it can be, especially if you're not in the habit of taking regular medication. I'm not exactly stupid, but I still managed to forget to take my pill, and so have changed to the injection.

Whether or not the pill needs to be taken at the same time every day also depends on which pill she is on. The combined contraceptive pill has a larger window (I think), but the majority of progesterone only pills (except cerazette) need to be taken within the same 3 hours every day.

OP: Have you talked to her about what would happen if she did get pregnant?

The combined pill has a window of 12 hours :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending