The Student Room Group

Advice after gym fail - exercising with broken finger

I've been going to the gym for the last couple of months doing a 3 day beginner weight training program, unfortunately today I had a bit of an accident and broke my finger so one of my hand's is out of use for a while now.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do until it get's better, should I rest up for this week and try and do light cardio or are there any weight exercices I can do to keep things up. Also diet wise should I cut back on my food intake until I get back into my usual workout.

Any advice appreciated.
It matters what finger you broke. I haven't broke a finger, but applying some common sense, if its helpful.

Weight wise obviously i wouldn't be trying anything which requires a strong grip like deadlift, but you can probably manage things like squats where grip is not as essential.

Also i remember reading someone post in another thread where someone's arm was out of action for a short time, that they should carry on training the other arm in the mean time. It still helps your overall muscle growth.

There is nothing stopping you doing cardio such as running, maybe now is your chance to get your cardio fitness to a higher level.
Reply 2
Original post by Monkey_Pete

Original post by Monkey_Pete
It matters what finger you broke. I haven't broke a finger, but applying some common sense, if its helpful.

Weight wise obviously i wouldn't be trying anything which requires a strong grip like deadlift, but you can probably manage things like squats where grip is not as essential.

Also i remember reading someone post in another thread where someone's arm was out of action for a short time, that they should carry on training the other arm in the mean time. It still helps your overall muscle growth.

There is nothing stopping you doing cardio such as running, maybe now is your chance to get your cardio fitness to a higher level.

It's just the pinkie which is broken but it feels like the hand is pretty much useless, going to wait a few days I think to give it a bit of rest then stick with cardio for a few weeks, just don't want to be back at square one when I do get back into my training routine.
Original post by Rian1988
It's just the pinkie which is broken but it feels like the hand is pretty much useless, going to wait a few days I think to give it a bit of rest then stick with cardio for a few weeks, just don't want to be back at square one when I do get back into my training routine.

A few weeks wont make much difference in the grand scheme of things. When you go back just start a bit lower on the weights than where you left off to make up for the gap.
Reply 4
Let the initial pain and swelling go down then lift what you can and work around the injury. There's no need to give up lifting all together. You can still squat. You can deadlift with a lifting hooks.

Quick Reply

Latest