The Student Room Group

Am I stupid?

I'm 17, I already have my heart set on a university. I don't wish to look at any different universities as it's sort of a dream Uni. ( University of Birmingham) I love the campus and everything about it.
I want to do psychology in a few years when I go there.
Also, it's close to home so I won't have to have student accomodation so it's cheaper.
Am I stupid for choosing this early and not thinking of any other options?

Paige x
Original post by PaigeSnow
I'm 17, I already have my heart set on a university. I don't wish to look at any different universities as it's sort of a dream Uni. ( University of Birmingham) I love the campus and everything about it.
Also, it's close to home so I won't have to have student accomodation so it's cheaper.

Paige x

It is good to move away from home, you will get to know people better and create links for future jobs. You will also grow up faster which will make you more appealing to employers. Psychology? Why not pick something more useful? Something with better job prospects? Something more respectable.
Reply 2
yes you are
Reply 3
No, you're just well prepared, however you'll find that you'll change your mind a million times before going off to uni so don't put too much hope on Brum.
Also, it's close to home so I won't have to have student accommodation so it's cheaper.

Paige x

There is nothing wrong with some early research but I suspect you may have second thoughts in the future. As a fellow Midlander, in fact near Brummy, there is more to life than Birmingham. Don't get me wrong its a great city, but do you want to live here all your life?
Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel
It is good to move away from home, you will get to know people better and create links for future jobs. You will also grow up faster which will make you more appealing to employers. Psychology? Why not pick something more useful? Something with better job prospects? Something more respectable.

I would agree with this.
Reply 6

Paige x

You're not stupid, you sound quite focused tbh. If finance is an issue, then a university close to home is a good idea, however, I'd advise you to have a backup just in case.
Reply 7

Paige x

ive picked bournemouth im going next year but have been set on this uni since early last year i ent looked at any other unis and gotta apply in a few months just to set on this uni to see past it really but no your not stupid your smart in the way that you have already started looking :smile:
Reply 8
You're not stupid, but you care very much about having others' approval. That isn't a bad thing, glad you're open to advice.

You don't wish to look at any different universities, so you've already picked a first choice. Now think of backup plans in case things don't work out - not because UoB is not a good choice, but because you're being sensible in case expectations don't sync with reality. Even if you have your heart set on it, check around other schools and do more research about what people feel about X university and Y course.

Ask yourself what really matters to you in a university. Is it the people? Or the quality of education? Does it have lots of activities to keep you occupied and help you feel like an adult and in control of your destiny? Once you are aware of this you can make better comparisons.

I 'chose early' as well and am in Goldsmiths - of my 5 UCAS I put 3 applications to this school! While I am not heavily regretting it or resentful, I do wish I had been a little more careful and set my sights a bit higher or planned ahead for a career. But that's me and I'm not you - if you aren't a person to deliberate about what your talent and direction is, you've already made a very clear and sound decision.
Reply 9
Take a risk and look at uni's elsewhere. You don't need to rule out Birmingham, but you might find that you fall in love with another place - Birmingham will never vanish!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending