The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and Support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KatPuss
I think I may have an eating disorder. I eat an average of 850kcals per day, including alcohol, and exercise quite a lot. I've gone from being 12.5 stone (at 5"4) to just below 8 and all I can think of is keeping going as much as I can. Food and calories have come to completely rule my life. I was a self-harmer for years but where that doesn't make me feel better anymore, losing weight does.

I've booked an appointment with my uni counsellor but the soonest they can see me is in about 3 weeks. I don't know what to do, I feel a bit desperate. I'm getting increasingly bad mood swings/depression, and physically feel weak and faint. It's making writing my dissertation extremely difficult. Would booking an appointment with my doctor be of any use?

:hugs:
Definitely go to a GP. Ask them to refer you to your local ED services (if you have one) for an assessment. If it's ruling your life and making you ill, it's a problem.

It makes me sad so many people have EDs on here. :frown:

I feel awful at the moment. I have anorexia screaming at me for thinking it was a good idea to have two croissants. I know it's not nearly enough for a day's intake and logically, I shouldn't be beating myself up at all but I feel awful and sick and I hate myself. But I was hungry. I'm still hungry. Why am I not allowed to eat when I'm hungry? I'm too tired to type anymore, I'm just having ED blues. Seriously don't understand why I'm not better by now...
I think my old eating disorder is fully manifesting itself as EDNOS, as in I have no clue what this is - a strange mix of borderline bulimia and anorexia. Not great.
Original post by steffi.alexa
I think my old eating disorder is fully manifesting itself as EDNOS, as in I have no clue what this is - a strange mix of borderline bulimia and anorexia. Not great.

Are you getting any support? xxx
Original post by diamonddust

Are you getting any support? xxx

I did a few years ago and was seeing the uni counsellor but I'm not cooperative enough for it to be any help :o:
Original post by steffi.alexa
I did a few years ago and was seeing the uni counsellor but I'm not cooperative enough for it to be any help :o:

Don't be embarrassed. I totally get it, don't worry.
My liaison nurse told me to ask to be discharged completely from ED services after I ranted to her for an hour about why I don't need to be weighed and how they put too much emphasis on it when weighing me at 4pm when I'm in my jeans and a heavy hoodie and after I've had things to drink all day isn't really going to get a reliable weight so there's no point. I do want to get better. Sort of... well better enough that I can actually function and not hate myself because of my weight being too high and pass exams and stuff but I don't need people nagging me and reminding me I have an ED, they're messing with my head and making me worse. Does that make any sense whatsoever? :redface:

Do you feel ready to try again or not really? Is it uni stress? I just want to give you a hug. I hate seeing people struggling... :frown:
I think it's time to admit that I still have a very unhealthy relationship with food. I don't even want to say how much I've eaten in today's binge but it's not good. I feel like the intermittent therapy I had for my anorexia only got me half way - it got me to eat again but never dealt with WHY my head's so messed up and WHY I use food. I don't want to go to the GP or anything because 1) I'm not going to say out load what's a binge to me and they will ask and 2) it'll probably only get me half way again - it's too bitty and short and frankly, some of the people I've had trying to treat me were more in need of serious therapy than me. Sorry but I just can't take eating advice from a woman with a concave chest and who considers an orange a meal. Okay, this has turned into a rant :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
(just to add: the 8s-9.5s is obvs when i'm over eating not when i'm under eating, I thought once i'd managed to eat without feeling guilty i'd be okay but the opposite has happened and now i'm stuck once again in that self loathing cycle)

This was me a month ago.

A month on, i've had better days BUT I'm now down to the weight I feel comfortable at. I'm not overweight, i'm not underweight. I'm at a healthy weight that I can maintain without feeling out of control, i've learnt not to live to eat and eat to live (including binging!) and I hope to stay this way now.

I've also admitted I most likely have body dysmorphia after seeing a photo of someone who was 9 stone heavier than I was and genuinely believing I was only at most two sizes smaller.

Aemiliana

Have you ever kept a diary of your thoughts recently? I think this helped me open up to my counsellor (although not about EDNOS, a different disorder unrelated to food) and you're finally admitting it to yourself. You've admitted you have a problem on TSR, so you've got one step closer.
Original post by eurasianfeline

Binge Eating Disorder
- recurrent uncontrolled binges (eating till uncomfortably full)
- usually above average/overweight/rapid weight gain
- binging to cope with stress (like CED) OR self-punishment for doing "bad" things (like Bulimia)
- unlike bulimia, patients do not engage in compensatory behaviours
- similar health risks as CED

I think this applies to me, what shall I do? :s-smilie:
Original post by Aminaubah
I think this applies to me, what shall I do? :s-smilie:

:hugs: Go to your GP and ask to be put in touch with a dietician and a therapist. Actually no, just go to your GP. They'll (hopefully) know what to do next.
:hugs: Go to your GP and ask to be put in touch with a dietician and a therapist. Actually no, just go to your GP. They'll (hopefully) know what to do next.

Aww, cute smiley! :h: and thanks.
people say that i may have some form of ed, whenever someone mentions breakfast i feel physically sick and the smell of it makes me worse. its weird though that i dont feel this about other meals, in fact i eat too much at lunch and dinner time.

i used to not eat breakfast, thinking i would lose weight, but then i read about it and how u put more on instead. but i still cant bring myself to eating then :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending