The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In my store it doesn't matter if you get those questions wrong... My supervisor pretty much wrote the answers out for us anyway.
Original post by inksplodge
i'm looking at ones in eg. marketing ... did you do any of those? :smile: what qualities are they looking for?

No not marketing, however, I worked in the Store Support Centre in Holborn where all the graduate schemes (apart from Retail, GM and Clothing) are based. It is a nice environment, I really enjoyed my placement but I missed managing people and driving performance. It is the 'sexy side of retail' (as said to me by one of the lead Grad recruiters), marketing is especially glamourous.

What qualities are they looking for? = A display of the 'Leadership Behaviours'.

If you are curious about the roles either call the graduate recruitment team and ask them about the scheme or arrange an appointment with your HR manager in order to enquire about the schemes.
Original post by The Narrator
It was my first proper day today after three days training as a code checker and I was never told you can't code check after 9pm. I work until 10pm so had it planned out so that I'd be able to fit it all in but at 9pm I was left with cakes and bread rolls left to code check for the 25th and I couldn't do anything about it. I spotted the store manager and we let him know and he seemed fine about it and I'll just let my department manager know tomorrow too and explain the reason.

I think the whole priority sheet thing slowed me up a bit too as I was looking around for the reductions according to the sheet when I think I could have got around a lot quicker if I'd just gone through the aisles pulling off today's date and checking for the 25th at the same time, then doing the reductions. Probably better to start on things other than bread too as we don't reduce it any more so really there's nothing can be done if we have bread that's going to be up other than have the nightshift pull it off that night. Code checking gluten free and stuff like cereal bars seemed to be something I could leave to the end too as I was told to check them first but really I found nothing there to pull off for reductions and nothing to check for the 25th.

Suppose tomorrow I'll put this plan into action and see how well it goes, the only other thing that slows things up a bit is something out of my hands really, trying to find a handset and printer, it took a good half an hour to an hour today just trying to get hold of them.

Does anyone think I'll get into much trouble for being unable to finish the codecheck today and has anyone had experience of codechecking and have any tips or hints they'd be willing to share? Thanks.

Hiya, I was offered a Code Checker position today (yay! :smile: ) Just wondering how easy was the training? Is there a lot to remember? What department are you working in? I will be on fresh foods :smile: x
Original post by KayleeReade
Hiya, I was offered a Code Checker position today (yay! :smile: ) Just wondering how easy was the training? Is there a lot to remember? What department are you working in? I will be on fresh foods :smile: x

Congratulations! Yeah, I'm guessing when you read what I wrote you were kind of thinking "uh oh" lol but today I mentioned it to my department manager and he was fine with it and I ended up finishing my code checking about two hours before my shift finished today, then I was shown how to do FOA after putting out some bread and that's it so far.

The training was fine, it's the two day general beginners training first which involves watching videos and filling stuff in. Then you'll shadow a code controller, for me I shadowed someone for three days, she was on a different department to me but she was a brilliant person to shadow and really helped me a lot. There's a fair bit to remember, such as printing out certain reports and bringing an l shape around with you, taking off today's date, reducing them and writing them in the report and then code checking for the day after tomorrow, but after a few times of doing it you'll be fine. I was able to manage doing it all by myself after a few days, yesterday I fell to pieces on my first day as I never knew you couldn't code check after 9pm and had loads left to do, so my code checking report will be almost empty tomorrow apart from bread which I can't reduce anyway.

You'll pick it up as you go along and you'll probably make a few mistakes as I have but just let someone, probably your department manager, know and they will probably be fine with it.

The biggest problem for me is finding a handset, our department's handset is lost, so I have to spend about half an hour to an hour looking for a handset before I am able to do any code checking or reductions. Oh and I'm in the bakery department.

Anyways good luck with it and I hope it all goes well, to be honest I'm still kind of learning now as today was only my second day by myself.
Reply 7924
I'm thinking about leaving my position quite soon. How do I hand in my notice? HR?
Original post by affinity89
Ditto to having problems with HR. Because of when my shifts are, they are never around when I am in work. They only let you collect your discount card at set times too - times when I am not in work, once again. It takes nearly an hour to get there [and then an hour to get back], so I don't have the time to waste going all that way just to pick up the discount card...

I am trying to decide between asking for a transfer and just quitting. The former would be good money-wise, although I am not sure if there are any vacancies in the stores near home. The latter would be great as it would let me have some free time before I start my PGCE and, of course, I wouldn't have to sit on a checkout for 8 hours or anything like that anymore lol... I have just over a month to decide. :/

Wow, it's weird how similar your situation is to mine! HR are NEVER IN when I'm in. I'm contracted to start at 5pm, HR shuts whenever they please so it seems, so how am I supposed to sort anything? Everytime I try to ask a manager, 'That's something that needs to go through personnel!' grrrrr. I live an hour away from my store too, I can't afford the petrol to pop there and back on one of my rare days off and sort things out. The list of things I need to do is endless: sort out why they underpaid me, ask why they've given me the wrong holiday and not even asked me about when I do want it, ask for a transfer as I'll be at a different college next year closer to home so would like to work in my local store and I'm pretty sure I won't get paid properly today either. I was so angry earlier I nearly handed them my notice!

If I were you, I'd ask for a transfer now anyway (if you can find someone to ask!) to see if it's a possibility, you might be more inclined to stay then :P You also might get to work on a different department that way also, as they tend to put you wherever they have space. This is what I'm thinking of doing.
Original post by whiskeyinthejar
Wow, it's weird how similar your situation is to mine! HR are NEVER IN when I'm in. I'm contracted to start at 5pm, HR shuts whenever they please so it seems, so how am I supposed to sort anything? Everytime I try to ask a manager, 'That's something that needs to go through personnel!' grrrrr. I live an hour away from my store too, I can't afford the petrol to pop there and back on one of my rare days off and sort things out. The list of things I need to do is endless: sort out why they underpaid me, ask why they've given me the wrong holiday and not even asked me about when I do want it, ask for a transfer as I'll be at a different college next year closer to home so would like to work in my local store and I'm pretty sure I won't get paid properly today either. I was so angry earlier I nearly handed them my notice!

If I were you, I'd ask for a transfer now anyway (if you can find someone to ask!) to see if it's a possibility, you might be more inclined to stay then :P You also might get to work on a different department that way also, as they tend to put you wherever they have space. This is what I'm thinking of doing.

I don't mind my department. I actually quite like serving customers on the tills and I seem to spend enough time in other departments as it is lol, especially fresh and GM.

I think I will quit, although my shift tonight was actually pretty 'fun' because of the people who were in. We genuinely had a laugh together. :smile:

Bad about the underpayment. I was wrongly short-timed in November. I didn't get the money until the end of Feb! I went through HR at first, submitted a wage query form, but they didn't do anything about it. In the end, I wrote an official letter to my department manager about it. He got the letter just before my shift started, spoke to me about it when I got in and sorted it that day. He was very apologetic that it had taken so long...

I asked for two weeks off to coincide with my university holidays. They've only let me have one of those weeks off but they didn't tell me. I literally found out by sheer chance the other day. Good job I happened to check up on it because otherwise I wouldn't have been coming in and they would have been expecting me... Not amazed at having 4 weeks off from university and only 1 week off work though - means I'll have to stay here for the other 3 weeks rather than seeing everyone back home. Hohum...

Hope you get your problems sorted out soon. :smile:
I started my employment in november 2010. Sainsburys did not tell anyone about the 28hrs bookable holidays prior to march and so i didnt have time too book them. I am now entitled to a further 80hours for the following year but have been let go as of 22nd march. so i have 108 hours of holidays that i have not been paid for.

Can someoen confirm how many hours i should be paid for?

Just to clarify they didnt tell anyone they had the 28hours prior to march, they tried keeping it secret until union got involved
Original post by john_smith
I started my employment in november 2010. Sainsburys did not tell anyone about the 28hrs bookable holidays prior to march and so i didnt have time too book them. I am now entitled to a further 80hours for the following year but have been let go as of 22nd march. so i have 108 hours of holidays that i have not been paid for.

Just to clarify they didnt tell anyone they had the 28hours prior to march, they tried keeping it secret until union got involved

The entitlement for the following year won't count, I don't think. That is based on the assumption that you work for the full 12 months. If you finished in March, you will not have accumulated those hours.

Definitely bad form about the pre-March hours though. :frown:
Original post by Bleak
I'm thinking about leaving my position quite soon. How do I hand in my notice? HR?

I'd say giving it to your manager would be nice so that they know you're leaving :smile: but HR would be ok. I know a colleague of mine handed hers to the store manager cos she knew if she handed it to HR/the manager they'd try and persuade her to stay
Original post by john_smith

you should get paid for the 28hours of holidays that you've not had yet, i think
Reply 7932
i thought you needed to book your hols otherwise you lose them, so if they weren't taken you wouldn't be paid for them.
if you were ex safeway and still on that contract and you started the new trading year you would be paid all the holiday your entitled to when you leave. however since you started now 2010 you won't as safeway disappeared ages ago.
Reply 7933
Does anyone know of anybody who has lost their job (checkouts) through not chatting to customers enough?

I find starting conversations really difficult. fair enough you can do the 'hi how are you' bit and talk about the weather but that doesn't last long!

I had a review done on me the other day, I was very good with greeting, eye contact willing to serve etc, but i could have done with a bit more chit chat.

Just a bit worried if they do one again and pick up the same thing. Also how the hell do they do the reviews without you knowing?!
Random question:
How would you deal with unwanted attention from a colleague? This guy has been a bit of a pest since we started working together last year. I've always been friendly but never anything more. I'm starting to seriously loose patience with him now, as he isn't taking no for an answer. Plus, he is actually dating one of the other girls in store and is thus a creep for making advances...
How would you tackle it?
I don't have the heart to be completely blunt and tell him to politely ****-off but I suspect that I might reach that point. And quickly lol.
i'd tell him that you'd appreciate being left to your own devices!
Original post by inksplodge
i'd tell him that you'd appreciate being left to your own devices!

That's simply enough I guess. :smile: I just hope that I have the confidence to tell him on our next shift together. It has got to the point where I physically avoid him, which proves difficult because he comes to find me lol!
Hi,
Been working for Sainsburys for nearly two years now.
I know they are scapping the Under 18 payrate,
I though this was happening in March,
But checked my bank account today as its payday and it hasn't changed.

Now my question is, when they said it was coming in March, do they mean these 4 weeks starting now, where March is basically over?

Just want to make sure it all right,
Cheers
Reply 7938
Original post by chris_avfc
Hi,
Been working for Sainsburys for nearly two years now.
I know they are scapping the Under 18 payrate,
I though this was happening in March,
But checked my bank account today as its payday and it hasn't changed.

Now my question is, when they said it was coming in March, do they mean these 4 weeks starting now, where March is basically over?

Just want to make sure it all right,
Cheers

Pretty sure it means from this week just gone, which will be reflected in the next payday, which is the first of the financial year.

Did you start on your 16th birthday or something?
i know this is a retarded question,how do you personally greet customers at the checkouts? im asking because im autistic...my manager wasnt very happy when reviewing me because apparently im not being chatty enough.
a lot of the time i find it difficult to know the right etiquette cos customers seem like they dont wanna chat/ dont make eye contact etc

Latest

Trending

Trending