The Student Room Group

Medicine A Levels

I was wondering whether my A Levels are good for Medicine.

I have currently chosen Biology, Chemistry, History and Maths. Would it be beneficial to also do Physics? Also, would it be worth taking 4 to A2 rather than 3?

Also, are my GCSE grades good enough?

My GCSE's are:

English Lang. A (already taken)
- the rest are expected grades -
English Lit. A
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
ICT A*
History A/A*
Geography A/A*
Food Technology anywhere from a C to A* (my school is a technology college, some tech GCSE is compulsory)
It would only be worth taking all four if you wanted to, and feel you could do well (A/A*) in at least 3 of them. Otherwise, to universities it matters not as they require 3 A-levels not 4. It wouldn't be beneficial to take Physics as you have the compulsory subjects - biology and chemistry, so yes, your combination is fine. Your GCSEs are also fine.
When it comes to A2, if you were to apply to select Oxbridge colleges some prefer 3 science subjects (3 of biology, chemistry, maths and physics), whereas if you were applying to UCL they give preference to students who are taking a mix of science and arts subjects. Otherwise, you're pretty much good to go if you're set to get the grades required for wherever you choose to apply. Academically, at least.
Your AS/A-level options are perfect. As for whether it would be beneficial to do Physics, that depends entirely upon you. Are you good at the subject at GCSE? Do you find applied maths difficult? Do you enjoy it? If not the latter, I wouldn't take it.

People will no doubt say you only need take 3; that's the requirement set by universities, but it's sensible to take 4 to AS-level and then from then on see how you're coping with the workload. Too much? Drop down to 3 at A2 and try to get some A*s. At the end of the day, the general consensus is that A*A*A > AAAA.

And your GCSEs are fine. Try and get as many A*s as you can, as much work-experience as possible, and do lots of further reading.

In short, you've got just as decent a chance as any one else. Good luck :h:
Reply 3
Yes, no, no, yes.
Reply 4
Thanks, if I did start on 5, or just Bio/Chem/Maths/History which one/two would be the best to drop at A2?
Original post by george..
Thanks, if I did start on 5, or just Bio/Chem/Maths/History which one/two would be the best to drop at A2?

Doesn't matter, as long as you keep the ones required to meet the requirements of the universities you apply to.
Original post by george..
I was wondering whether my A Levels are good for Medicine.

I have currently chosen Biology, Chemistry, History and Maths. Would it be beneficial to also do Physics? Also, would it be worth taking 4 to A2 rather than 3?

Also, are my GCSE grades good enough?

My GCSE's are:

English Lang. A (already taken)
- the rest are expected grades -
English Lit. A
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
ICT A*
History A/A*
Geography A/A*
Food Technology anywhere from a C to A* (my school is a technology college, some tech GCSE is compulsory)

GCSE grades are good enough, and so are A levels. I would do all 4 to A2 only if you were sure you could get As in all, and that it wouldn't compromise your getting the miminal 3. This also depends on what type of school you go/will go to, however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending