The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jace Falco

Okay, as a long time fan of Star Wars, I'm happy to say that I'm voting for both Alien and Aliens. If there's anything at all I can do about it, it will not come down to Star Wars v Empire Strikes Back.

Of those that are left, I'd go for Serenity, Aliens or Blade Runner.

You don't need to worry about that, given that 2001 will smash through Empire Strikes Back.
Original post by Phalanges
You don't need to worry about that, given that 2001 will smash through Empire Strikes Back.

hopefully not :/

*And saw Interview with a vampire today... great film, one of the best vampire films I've ever seen, I like the more traditional portrayal of them as opposed to sparkling in sunlight Twilight style. Brad Pitt and Tom cruise in the same film too, nice
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Toughest decision of my life but I went with Back to the Future. Sorry, man. :moon:

**** you, and **** off.

Watched Paul. Agree with the consensus that it's not up to par with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (Edgar Wright films). Still eagerly anticipating the third film in the Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy, 'The World's End'.

Is that all anyone can say about it? Jeez. Try looking at it in its own right, how about that? It's a good film.

Original post by Phalanges

Will it, though? 2001 is very good, but Star Wars is more populist. And ESB is the best Star Wars film.

I was quite interested in Sucker Punch, but it seems critics are reacting badly. Anyone seen it, or seeing it?

Is that all anyone can say about it? Jeez. Try looking at it in its own right, how about that? It's a good film.

I did.

It was nothing special.
Reply 304
Rooting for a 2001 vs Blade Runner final.

Also, Empire is probably the highest form of sci-fi entertainment...but 2001 is just something else.
(edited 13 years ago)
Next up: Shoot 'Em Up. Nothing like having a shoot out whilst having hot sex.

Will it, though? 2001 is very good, but Star Wars is more populist. And ESB is the best Star Wars film.

Ah, but 2001 carries that superiority feel if you vote for it, because it's more of a work of art. Although in reality form would suggest ESB will blow it out of the water, given that 2001 was only able to just get past the Fifth Element.

A just final would be Blade Runner vs 2001, that would be pretty awesome. I can't imagine anything will even remotely trouble Blade Runner on the way to winning the whole thing though.
Reply 307
There will be dire consequences if Inception beats 2001.

(just voted, and it's quite close...)

Inception is overrated.
Original post by lukejoshjedi
hopefully not :/

*And saw Interview with a vampire today... great film, one of the best vampire films I've ever seen, I like the more traditional portrayal of them as opposed to sparkling in sunlight Twilight style. Brad Pitt and Tom cruise in the same film too, nice

Hmm... I just watched it. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed :redface: I quite liked all the old fashioned stuff, I just thought all the modern-day parts and the whole 'interview' thing seemed really forced and weird. I understand that it's based on a book, but really it wouldn't have made any difference if they'd just ditched all the new bits...

I agree that it's better than all the Twilight-style crap, though (not that I've ever actually seen Twilight :rolleyes:)

Also, hot vampires :sexface:
Reply 309
Solaris should've gone up against 2001, that would have been fitting.

And Metropolis should go against Blade Runner, which'd also be fitting. Although I wouldn't have been able to vote.

Sad at how few foreign films got through, only Metropolis and Akira got past round 1. Still can't get over how Metropolis lost to Jurassic Park, probably due to it's small audience.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mimimimi
I agree that it's better than all the Twilight-style crap, though (not that I've ever actually seen Twilight :rolleyes:)

You realise that the whole point of Twilight is hot vampires?

Well, that and a fat unpopular girl's fantasy about how high school should have gone.
You realise that the whole point of Twilight is hot vampires?

Well, that and a fat unpopular girl's fantasy about how high school should have gone.

But I don't find any of the guys in Twilight hot :tongue:

Robert Pattinson does look like a foot, though :frown: And that picture is genius...
(edited 13 years ago)
I'd remove that before Phalanges pops in. :awesome:
I did.

It was nothing special.

xD mehh Paul is forgettable imo. Pegg and Frosts' best work is behind them, not to say that they can't make another good film - just need another great concept
Hmm... I just watched it. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed :redface: I quite liked all the old fashioned stuff, I just thought all the modern-day parts and the whole 'interview' thing seemed really forced and weird. I understand that it's based on a book, but really it wouldn't have made any difference if they'd just ditched all the new bits...

well fair enough, yeah agreed the acting did seem a bit 'odd' in places, then again Louis was like a 200 year old vampire and all, the dialogue wasn't ever gonna be that normal, it took a while to get used to haha

I'm not too familiar with the book though, another vampire novel I do like - The Vampire Diaries, also watch the TV show :biggrin: it's not that bad

why is Tom Cruise so good at 'playing' crazy, nutjob characters... maybe he's just playing Tom cruise

'Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter' seems pretty interesting... actually really want to see that

Robert Pattinson does look like a foot, though :frown: And that picture is genius...

Haha, yeah. :tongue:
Reply 316
Carrying on with my Maggie Smith binge, I watched California Suite. She won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for this and I think it's probably one of the best supporting performances I've ever seen. What's funny is that hardly anyone knows about it because besides Smith's and Michael Caine's scenes, the film is so so so so average.

(edited 13 years ago)
I really quite like the idea of a bracketing thing for films, despite how reductive it is really. I might have a word with the admins and see if we can try something around June/July...
Reply 318
Is there a type of films any of you particularly dislike? I can't stand 'dumb comedies' or the piss take films. They annoy me to the bone!
Original post by Sashari
Is there a type of films any of you particularly dislike? I can't stand 'dumb comedies' or the piss take films. They annoy me to the bone!

Parody films. Well, I used to like them but Date Movie, Superhero Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie and Vampires Suck have turned me cold.

Hopefully Johnny English, Austin Powers 4 and the future Pegg-Frost-Wright film will fix that.

Look at this The 41-Year-Old Virgin Who Knocked Up Sarah Marshall and Felt Superbad About It :facepalm2: but an awesome title.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending