The Student Room Group

Bleach, Nip, Tuck: The White Beauty Myth

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by im so academic
So, basically, naturally "brown" people are disgusting now?

:erm:

natural brown are fine, artificial brown however....
Original post by RahRah09
Yes, as I said, less than 100 years ago pale skin was a sign of wealth. I'm not really sure what posh people do actually, I think England has been overrun by rahs and their bloody orange skin and bleached hair. I haven't seen a proper posh person around for ages. Makes me sad :frown:

You do see some women that are untanned but not sure about posh women. I have to admit on a white girl I prefer pale skinned than tanned/orange. One of the main appeals of that is it being natural I feel. Although of girls from other races I can only say I'm less attracted to black people with really dark skin but that's about it.
Reply 22
Original post by big-boss-91
fake tans are acceptable because its not permanent unlike the methods the black/asian people are going through to feel ok in the white community
It's not just about feeling ostracized in the white community. If you watch the documentary, you'll see that an Asian women was made to feel outed in her own community because of her darker skin.

The market for skin lightening creams in countries like India is advertised just as much as self-tanning creams in the West. And it's well known cosmetics companies selling these creams (with celebrities as the face of the product).

The problem is that only illegal creams are available over here. But are these any safer than sunbeds?
Reply 23
It's not just about feeling ostracized in the white community. If you watch the documentary, you'll see that an Asian women was made to feel outed in her own community because of her darker skin.

The market for skin lightening creams in countries like India is advertised just as much as self-tanning creams in the West. And it's well known cosmetics companies selling these creams (with celebrities as the face of the product).

The problem is that only illegal creams are available over here. But are these any safer than sunbeds?

i'm talking about the other woman who lives in the area where 97% of the population are white
Reply 24
i'm talking about the other woman who lives in the area where 97% of the population are white

I forgot to add that the Asian women I mentioned from the documentary lives in England.
I find the hypocracy of this documentary absolutely disgusting. I find it horrendous that the claws of multi-culturalism have dug in so deep that we whites are allowing ourselvs to be targeted for this kind of degrading attack.

The programme is attacking white beauty, to make ethnic minorities with inferiority complexes feel better about themselves.

I dare to think what would happen if there was a program entitled 'black beauty myth' or 'asian beauty myth'

Thanks very much multi-culturalism
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
The World is an odd place. White women do their best to look as brown as possible and now naturally browner women are trying to look whiter.

Just why :facepalm:

White women do not tan to look brown, they tan to look tanned.

Does this tanned white woman look brown ?
Reply 27
Original post by Native British Guy

Don't worry I already explained that browner =/= bronzer.
Reply 28
Original post by alexs2602
Michael Jackson had vitiligo. :facepalm:

ptfff did he really? its obvious he bleached his skin

Google it, idiot.
Reply 30
White beauty is no myth white people on avaerage are better looking, and in a society where your apperance is the excepition their is scientific evidence suggest you will be viewd as less attrative
i know you mean well, but please don't speak for all 'brown' women. just because someone wants to improve their appearance, does not mean that they want to be 'white' or are rejecting their heritage.

similarly, there seems to be some underlying implication that there is something wrong with features that are 'ethnic,' whatever that means. my point: there is no such thing as a white feature: the world is ethno-genetically diverse and not all people look the same, or possess identical physical characteristics, even though they might be 'asian' or 'black' etc etc.

:smile:

Original post by tieyourmotherdown
The World is an odd place. White women do their best to look as brown as possible and now naturally browner women are trying to look whiter.

Just why :facepalm:
Reply 32
People tend to look better when they look more natural. There's something very attractive about people who are at ease with themselves.

No, he had vitiligo, try googling/youtubing about it. It is a very rare condition. What I believe Michael Jackson did was when it got to an increased stage, then he started bleaching his skin and making himself 'whiter'.
Original post by FoxxyCleopatra
i know you mean well, but please don't speak for all 'brown' women. just because someone wants to improve their appearance, does not mean that they want to be 'white' or are rejecting their heritage.

similarly, there seems to be some underlying implication that there is something wrong with features that are 'ethnic,' whatever that means. my point: there is no such thing as a white feature: the world is ethno-genetically diverse and not all people look the same, or possess identical physical characteristics, even though they might be 'asian' or 'black' etc etc.

I know, don't worry, my post wasn't overly serious :wink:. I do particularly agree with the bit in bold.

Westerners don't try to look browner, we try to look more healthy and sunkissed. It looks like you can afford to go on holiday. Coco Chanel made the tan fashionable.
But less than 100 years ago, pale skin was still desirable in the West as it is in other countries. If you're darker then you look like you've been working in the fields. Skin colour represents wealth.

Likewise, my post wasn't overly serious or thought through.

I am curious about your username. You do know that Cleopatra was white don't you ? She was Greek, born in Greece and part of the Greek hellinistic aristocracy ?
frankly, i think you've got it backwards and may be reading too much into the title.

the documentary is about ethnic minorities aspiring to be "more caucasian." that says more about 'whiteness' (whatever that entails) as the typical, promoted and standardized type of beauty, as opposed to attacking "white beauty."

also, your post seems to suggest that multiculturalism is a threat to whiteness. that's my interpretation of your words.

...what multiculturalism has to do with this is absolutely lost on me. it's totally moot. if you're applying it to an argument about race and beauty, then perhaps you're not clear on its definition.

I find the hypocracy of this documentary absolutely disgusting. I find it horrendous that the claws of multi-culturalism have dug in so deep that we whites are allowing ourselvs to be targeted for this kind of degrading attack.

The programme is attacking white beauty, to make ethnic minorities with inferiority complexes feel better about themselves.

I dare to think what would happen if there was a program entitled 'black beauty myth' or 'asian beauty myth'

frankly, i think you've got it backwards and may be reading too much into the title.

the documentary is about ethnic minorities aspiring to be "more caucasian." that says more about 'whiteness' (whatever that entails) as the typical, promoted and standardized type of beauty, as opposed to attacking "white beauty."

also, your post seems to suggest that multiculturalism is a threat to whiteness. that's my interpretation of your words.

...what multiculturalism has to do with this is absolutely lost on me. it's totally moot. if you're applying it to an argument about race and beauty, then perhaps you're not clear on its definition.

I don't accept your interpretation, it is an attack on whites pure and simple.

And yes I do believe multiculturalism is a threat to white society and ethnicity.
Reply 38

... its hypocrisy

You are quite ignorant - how do do ethnic minorities have inferior complexion?
Original post by Ebuwa
... its hypocrisy

You are quite ignorant - how do do ethnic minorities have inferior complexion?

Complex, not complexion. Not that I care or agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending