The Student Room Group

Johann Norberg: Globalisation Is Good

Why do people think Globalisation means every third worlder should be able to pour into white countries ?

If that was the case then why don't I see thousands of Indians pouring into Japan, or thousands of Europeans pouring into Pakistan ?
Original post by Native British Guy
Why do people think Globalisation means every third worlder should be able to pour into white countries ?

If that was the case then why don't I see thousands of Indians pouring into Japan, or thousands of Europeans pouring into Pakistan ?

What are you going on about? This has nothing to do with the video.

Are you a racist?
Reply 3
Watching now
Bump.
Reply 5
Novus Ordo Seclorum.
Reply 6

Hehe. You've come a long way AN!

I watched some of the video, the man is setting out the obvious; I particularly liked his statement at the beginning that the moment the modern anti-globalisation movement is 'dangerously ignorant'. Cos that's what they are really, they're stupid arguments are taken seriously by too many people, and it's leading to the starvation of millions across the world.
Reply 7
I got a few minutes into it but couldn't go any further sorry. He is clearly not a serious journalist, just a myopic elitist.

I don't think it's as simple as globalisation being good or bad. Freedom of information on a global scale that the internet gives us is undoubtedly a good thing but centralised global power is clearly a very sinister aspect.
Original post by D.R.E
Hehe. You've come a long way AN!

I watched some of the video, the man is setting out the obvious; I particularly liked his statement at the beginning that the moment the modern anti-globalisation movement is 'dangerously ignorant'. Cos that's what they are really, they're stupid arguments are taken seriously by too many people, and it's leading to the starvation of millions across the world.

I personally would have liked to have heard more about the economic effects of foreign interventionist policies on trade. However it acts as a good source of populist material for brainwashing the masses and in and of itself it is a nice little video. But its hardly the end of the earth. I was intent on spurring debate within this thread about globalisation.
Reply 9
Original post by AnarchistNutter
I personally would have liked to have heard more about the economic effects of foreign interventionist policies on trade. However it acts as a good source of populist material for brainwashing the masses and in and of itself it is a nice little video. But its hardly the end of the earth. I was intent on spurring debate within this thread about globalisation.

Yeah, this kind of argument needs to be got out there. Look at this: Civilisation, by my favourite historian, Niall Ferguson. It's not explicitly about globalisation, but he makes some very strong arguments for it throughout the whole series.

I liked your video, but I think Ferguson has much better presentation skills, and is far more likely to pull a populist audience, since he works at Harvard and all. Or you could just watch it because he's an amazing historian. :colone:
Original post by garethDT
I don't think it's as simple as globalisation being good or bad. Freedom of information on a global scale that the internet gives us is undoubtedly a good thing but centralised global power is clearly a very sinister aspect.

Does anyone have a clue what the video is about besides me and D.R.E?

Original post by D.R.E
Yeah, this kind of argument needs to be got out there. Look at this: Civilisation, by my favourite historian, Niall Ferguson. It's not explicitly about globalisation, but he makes some very strong arguments for it throughout the whole series.

I liked your video, but I think Ferguson has much better presentation skills, and is far more likely to pull a populist audience, since he works at Harvard and all. Or you could just watch it because he's an amazing historian. :colone:

I'm gonna check that out this evening :tongue:. I'm interested in history and know only so little about it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by AnarchistNutter
Does anyone have a clue what the video is about besides me and D.R.E?

No, most people feel like punching the screen because it's so clearly a load of BS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending