The Student Room Group

Messed up assignments...what happens now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bekaboo
:no: They're unlikely to just let you switch to a different course if you refuse to even try at this one (friends who have switched courses have been asked e.g. to get a 2i in their current course first).

As others have said you need to
a) find out what the actual regulations are
b) take the exams anyway

Why?

Firstly because since you don't know the actual weightings, it's entirely possible that you still can pass. You only need 40% overall to pass (and as others have said sometimes it's not even that - I needed 40% for a third but only 30 to pass without honours).

Secondly because if you want to carry on at uni and potentially redo the year or switch to another course you need the goodwill of a department. It's not a computer making the choices for you: it's humans who actually care about the students (however little that may be). So if you say 'I messed up. I want to try again' and you've obviously worked hard for the exams and done well, they are much much more likely to be helpful than if it looks like you just ****ed about for a year and couldn't care less.

Good point Bekaboo

Good point indeed

I thought you automatically got to repeat the year though if you fail?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
It never ceases to amaze how students never ever bother reading their regulations - especially the worthless wasters who end up at the wrong end of them.

If you were at my uni and didn't turn up for exams we would all that we could to chuck you off the course. "non-engagement" (or similar wording) is a great little reg that we have.

THe only reasons a unit might want to give you another chance (assuming there was no good reason for you not handing assignments or coursework) is financial, and you won't apprear as a "fail" in their statistics ....yet
Original post by wdywuk
It never ceases to amaze how students never ever bother reading their regulations - especially the worthless wasters who end up at the wrong end of them.

If you were at my uni and didn't turn up for exams we would all that we could to chuck you off the course. "non-engagement" (or similar wording) is a great little reg that we have.

THe only reasons a unit might want to give you another chance (assuming there was no good reason for you not handing assignments or coursework) is financial, and you won't apprear as a "fail" in their statistics ....yet

Does that stick feel good up your ass?

I bet it does.
Reply 23
Original post by Studentrepreneur
Good point Bekaboo

Good point indeed

I thought you automatically got to repeat the year though if you fail?

:rofl: Really really no. You usually get to resit exams, but if you fail you fail. Chances are they'll take you back just cos they want the extra money but they're under absolutely no obligation to.

Isn't resit marks capped at 40%?
Reply 25
Original post by LaughingBro
Isn't resit marks capped at 40%?

Depends on regs but afaik that's quite common.

They really really don't want people relying on resits (unless there's a proper reason) - tbh I think the way the A level is run these days could be creating a false expectation in students.
Doesnt matter first year doesnt mean anything anyway
If you didn't hand work in I hope you fail.

It does when a prospective employer asks to see your transcript as many do now and it has all your marks, including year 1 on it.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
It does when a prospective employer asks to see your transcript as many do now and it has all your marks, including year 1 on it.

So?

They will see you bucked up after your first year and worked hard.

Majority of CEO's understand that you little bookworm.

tbh this attitude is probably what's got you into this situation in the first place. I'd argue the first year counts for quite a lot when you can't reach the second year because you failed.
Original post by EEngWillow
tbh this attitude is probably what's got you into this situation in the first place.

Yes I havent tried at uni

Original post by EEngWillow
I'd argue the first year counts for quite a lot when you can't reach the second year because you failed.

The problem is I hate my course.
The problem is I hate my course.

Would you want to stay for second year, then?
Original post by TheSownRose
Would you want to stay for second year, then?

Because it's better than having no degree right?
Because it's better than having no degree right?

Not necessarily. The reason I was asking is, if you were planning on leaving anywhere and find elements of the course too difficult to pass, it might be better to jump before you're pushed.
Original post by TheSownRose
Not necessarily. The reason I was asking is, if you were planning on leaving anywhere and find elements of the course too difficult to pass, it might be better to jump before you're pushed.

The course is extremely easy

I just dont feel motivated to do the work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending