The Student Room Group

Modern Foreign Languages and Science

Is there anybody doing a foreign language alongside Mathematics and other science subjects? Why? Are you happy with having chosen to study it?

Furthermore, how likely is it that I will forget a language that I study at A level if I don't really intend to use it much. Is there any point at all, if I'm not considering living in that country or immersing myself in its culture/literature.

I'm just trying to get some ideas about whether Russian is for me.

Thanks
I'm studying Biology,Chemistry, Maths and German at A level. I'll admit I've forgotten most of the GCSE Latin and Russian that I learnt, but thats because I don't use it. I picked German because it was the only language I could do at AS, and really,really didnt want to take 4 maths/sciencey subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by .snowflake.

Original post by .snowflake.
really,really didnt want to take 4 maths/sciencey subjects.

Why not?
Reply 3
I take Maths, Chemistry and French for A2 and did German and Spanish for AS. It's fine as the workload is quite balanced because I have no coursework! :smile:
Original post by und
Why not?

I hated physics, definately didnt want to do further maths. Out of my GCSE options, ICT looked dull, Music looked really,really hard, considering the last music exam I took was grade 4, and for your practical coursework you have to play a piece around grade 6-7 standard. Can't take latin an A level, so was left with German, and I liked it/ was good at it.

I'm glad I picked it because not many people choose them, in my german group there are 6 of us. 90 did german in Y9, and we're down to six, not that I'm complaining. French is even worse. I find the fact that I'm forever writing essays for it pretty useful for gen. studies.
It's kind of intense doing all those science based subjects at A Level, obviously people do it and cope fine but it'd be nice to have that little something different.. both to vary your own studying and to appeal more to universities when applying.. a language alongside science subjects is probably looked upon favourably considering the different approach to learning they encompass.
Reply 6
I'm doing Spanish with Maths and Physics. It's nice to have variation in my subjects.
I have a nice mix: French, German, Spanish, chemistry, maths and geography AS. I honestly (apart from geo) just picked subjects I'm good at and enjoy. The questions are: what are you the best at and which exams will you find the easiest? What do you love learning?

In terms of university, doing a language would make you stand out, but it looks like science tutors are looking for science A-Levels, and even though everyone knows languages are hard sciences are supposed to be harder (as if!).

I love having the range of subjects. Unlike you, I'm more of a languages person and the sciences are subsidary to the French, German and Spanish but if you do Russian you will open up the possibility of joint honors with a language at university: not just Russian but any language you might want to pick up...

To be honest, I think what standard of language you get up to in A-Level is entirely up to you: you get out what you put in. Some things you will never forget and others you, inevitably, eventually will. That is kind of my fear though, that if I dropped Spanish when I go to university I would lose everything I learned, but for me that's OK because I will still have enjoyed learning it, and it's not like I won't have the grade!

I really hope that was of some use!
Reply 8
What Stonewall has to say about it, surprisingly little comment about it apart from by the BNP, Daily Mail etc.

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_school/education_for_all/primary_schools/default.asp

Wrong thread :tongue:

But: I did Maths, Physics and French at A2, you say about never remembering the language in a few years, but you won't remember much of the other modules unless either you do them at uni to be honest. Just do what you need to get into uni, or if it doesn't matter, do the most interesting one.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending