The Student Room Group

Would you learn with this instructor?

Scroll to see replies

Just curious, are you a male who now wants to become a female, or a female who wants to become a male? or have you completed the process?

sorry if I come across as rude, just curiosity takes over sometimes :smile:
Reply 21
Personally, it would probably shock me a little when I first meet you but I'd get used to it. No way would I cancel my driving lessons because you're transsexual-- it's your ability as a driving instructor that counts. Unfortunately, I can't speak for the people younger than me (or older even).
Personally I wouldn't have a problem and would only be bothered whether you were a good instructor or not. Having said that, if I'm honest it would be a bit of a shock on my first lesson but I wouldn't not return just based on you being transexual. Can't really explain why so many drop out, but it's very sad if that it is the reason. Perhaps asking your current students whether they think this is the reason may help as well...as lots of business is word of mouth I imagine it may well be some of their friends who have dropped out after the first lesson.
The fact that you are transsexual would have no effect whatsoever on my perception of you as a person and as a driving instructor. My priority would merely be to find somebody with the ability to communicate the material required for learning effectively, whom is patient and will deliver good value in the lessons.

It is likely that some of your students have been uneasy about your orientation, but even more so that this has been exacerbated by their ages. Driving instructors do deal to a large extent with very young people, many of whom have a poor understanding of divergence from the 'norm' as regards sexual orientation. Some parents are likely to be no different in their views: for some, the idea of their child disappearing in a car with a stranger can be a cause for great worry, despite CRB checks and so forth.

Knowing exactly what to suggest to you in this situation is challenging, but have you considered attempting to approach a different demographic altogether with your lessons? That might well be easier said than done, but perhaps there are channels through which you could promote your service to potential customers who identify themselves as LGBT. If you do love your profession as much as you say you do, then it is very important that you do not give up without first doing your best to work around the problem.
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Hi All,

I've been a contributor here for a while now and have tried to help out where I can both publicly and privately. It has been very satisfying to see some people move on in their driving career.

I now need to ask you for your comments and I hope the moderators will consider that this is still a driving question and not move it somewhere away from the target audience.

I am struggling at the moment, personally (not something for divulging here) and professionally, as an instructor. I don't have a lot of business and this week I have actually had more people cancel than have lessons. Some of these have been new pupils who, for their own reasons, have simply not materialised. My drop-out rate has been very high right from when I started in this business and I think I know why.

I am transsexual. I don't think it should make any difference but I am now beginning to wonder whether it does. So many times I have first lessons with people for them never to return. Sometimes I book lessons with new pupils, only for them not to even turn up. I look okay on the whole but my voice is deeper than it should be and it lets me down, particularly on the phone. In terms of instruction, I think I am pretty good and some pupils have remained loyal. However, it doesn't change the fact that something is causing many people to either not turn up or cancel.

Due to the lack of business I am now seriously considering giving up a profession that I love, much to my huge regret.

So the question is simple. What would your reaction be?

Please be honest - I'm sure you will be.

Thanks

Emma

It's undoubtedly the reason why your drop out rate is so high, I wouldn't even feel uncomfortable, I wouldn't care in fact. But I'd just rather a normal instructor.
90% of people here are saying that they'd be fine with it...

So if that's not the problem then I don't know what it could be, maybe your personality?
Reply 26
A transgender instructor would have put me right off. While I enjoyed learning to drive it was something that required full concentration, and just having that additional thought in my head would be enough to make me want to go with someone else instead.
Reply 27
It would be surprising, but I've experienced bad instructors, so providing you were a good teacher I wouldn't cancel lessons.
I'll be honest, I wouldn't want to have you as my driving instructor.

Part of the reason I chose my driving instructor was because he was a really nice guy who I could have a good chat with during lessons and I would just find it a bit uncomfortable being in a car with you for a long time and that would put me off.

However, I do hope you manage to get your business going again and that you aren't forced to give up on a job you love.
Reply 29
Hi All,

I've been a contributor here for a while now and have tried to help out where I can both publicly and privately. It has been very satisfying to see some people move on in their driving career.

I now need to ask you for your comments and I hope the moderators will consider that this is still a driving question and not move it somewhere away from the target audience.

I am struggling at the moment, personally (not something for divulging here) and professionally, as an instructor. I don't have a lot of business and this week I have actually had more people cancel than have lessons. Some of these have been new pupils who, for their own reasons, have simply not materialised. My drop-out rate has been very high right from when I started in this business and I think I know why.

I am transsexual. I don't think it should make any difference but I am now beginning to wonder whether it does. So many times I have first lessons with people for them never to return. Sometimes I book lessons with new pupils, only for them not to even turn up. I look okay on the whole but my voice is deeper than it should be and it lets me down, particularly on the phone. In terms of instruction, I think I am pretty good and some pupils have remained loyal. However, it doesn't change the fact that something is causing many people to either not turn up or cancel.

Due to the lack of business I am now seriously considering giving up a profession that I love, much to my huge regret.

Thanks

Emma

Personally, I would spend ages working out whether you were actually transsexual for ages but I would have absolutely no problem with it. I'd tell all my friends at school and find it pretty cool actually :p: But I'm quite liberal. If your students have dropped out after the first lesson, I hate to say it but it probably is because you are a transsexual. I'm sorry that there is still so much discrimination in the world - it makes me so angry. Please don't give up something you love! I don't know what steps you should take. Maybe you could inform your students from the very beginning and tell them if they have a problem with it they need another instructor? Ah it's difficult :/ Maybe be open about it and let them ask you questions about it? It just seems that your method of not mentioning it isn't really working :s-smilie: Good luck though! Please don't give up a job you love!
Reply 30
I think this would put a lot of people off, and im saying about 90%, I just dont think people would be ok with it so would tend to cancel. sorry to be overly honest.
Reply 31
Hi All,

I would like to thank you all for your honesty, encouragement and for taking the time to read and reply to this thread - it is much appreciated.

Thank you

Emma
I really wouldn't care. As long as you're a nice enough person, a good instructor and fun to learn with, I really don't care what gender you are/identify with :smile:.

Original post by FXX
A transgender instructor would have put me right off. While I enjoyed learning to drive it was something that required full concentration, and just having that additional thought in my head would be enough to make me want to go with someone else instead.

Can I ask, how would it make you lose concentration? I'm not attacking you or anything, but do you honestly think sitting next to a transgendered person is any different to sitting next to a cisgendered person?
You asked for honesty, so yes, it would put me off. I'm ashamed that it would, but it's the truth.
Reply 34
I personally wouldn't bat an eyelid but it would depend on a few things.

when I was finding my instructor it was very important for me to know them through a recommendation through a friend. And then it was very important for me to know they had a good grade and good pass rate. Also I google-d them and found other reviews on them.
This was the most important to me.

Also prices. I didn't want to go for somewhere really cheap, as there must be a reason why they have to offer lessons that cheap, but I didn't want overly expensive either. So it depends on your price range.

Do you have a good website? I built one for my driving instructor and since then he's had a lot more interest in his buisness.

Don't let you being a transexual put you off your own career, I can assure you the majority of people wouldn't be bothered or possibly wouldn't even notice!

Ohh and the whole shouting thing is important too. My driving tutor had a ethos that if he shouted at you during the lesson you would get it for free. I know so many people that have been put off driving because of an agressive/angry driving instructor.
Reply 35
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
Can I ask, how would it make you lose concentration? I'm not attacking you or anything, but do you honestly think sitting next to a transgendered person is any different to sitting next to a cisgendered person?

Er, well yes I do, otherwise I would have said it wouldn't bother me. They look like a woman but talk like a man (or vice versa) so it's that blip of mental confusion I just wouldn't have wanted while I was learning to drive.

I generally wouldn't have wanted a female instructor anyway but I simply would not click with a transgender one.
Reply 36
Original post by Wildebeest
The fact that you are transsexual would have no effect whatsoever on my perception of you as a person and as a driving instructor. My priority would merely be to find somebody with the ability to communicate the material required for learning effectively, whom is patient and will deliver good value in the lessons.

It is likely that some of your students have been uneasy about your orientation, but even more so that this has been exacerbated by their ages. Driving instructors do deal to a large extent with very young people, many of whom have a poor understanding of divergence from the 'norm' as regards sexual orientation. Some parents are likely to be no different in their views: for some, the idea of their child disappearing in a car with a stranger can be a cause for great worry, despite CRB checks and so forth.

Knowing exactly what to suggest to you in this situation is challenging, but have you considered attempting to approach a different demographic altogether with your lessons? That might well be easier said than done, but perhaps there are channels through which you could promote your service to potential customers who identify themselves as LGBT. If you do love your profession as much as you say you do, then it is very important that you do not give up without first doing your best to work around the problem.

This exactly!

People spend about an hour a week with their driving instructors for maybe 6 months or more, so its important to have something to ttalk about. If you can appeal to people who are open minded like you are, then you'd really have something - and then there would be the friends of the successes you have who come bak.
Reply 37
Hi All,

Thanks

Emma

Hi Emma,

I am truly sorry to hear about that especially you don't deserve this...If you were my instructor i wouldnt have a problem at all because your aims to teach me how to be a good and carefully driver..

If i was you i would probably go for BSM, AA, Bill Plant and so on - maybe that help to avoid people letting you down like cancellation etc..
Reply 38
It's a shame that people are so narrow-minded; it doesn't make any difference to your ability as an instructor. I honestly wouldn't mind as long as you were a good teacher. From your posts on this forum, you seem like a really nice person. I hope it works out for you :smile:
Reply 39
Hi All,

Thanks

Emma

In all honesty it wouldnt matter to me.In fact if I lived near to you I would go to you if and when I choose to re start my driving lessons.The fact that some if your students havent come back , imo, shows how narrow minded they are.I'm sure your gender plays no part in your ability to teach people to drive.Dont give up something you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending