The Student Room Group

More Rejections than Offers? Advice and Support *Here*

Scroll to see replies

I got 3 rejections from Southampton, Hull and Kent.
But I got an offer from Durham University, now I'm just waiting for Greenwich decision before I firm Durham.
Original post by Minerva
Hi - really sorry to read that this has happened to you. I've moved this discussion into the 'more rejections than offers thread' because I hope the first post - if you haven't already seen it - will be helpful to you.

I think the most likely problem in your case is your Personal Statement. If you are going to apply through Extra (and you certainly should consider it) it would be worth sorting that out before you do.

Thank you.

Yesterday, I applied for Leicester through Extra with a modified PS.

So we'll see what happens with that.
Original post by Muffinz
Are they sure they were in your reference? Did you read it?

Definitely, it was read to me-my Biology UMS wasn't, but my Psychology and English were....
Reply 63
I'm quite sure I haven't posted anything in this thread.. but it turns out I have ?! :biggrin:
Reply 64
Original post by KingMessi
Thank you.

Here's hoping.... :smile:
I feel so depressed right now. I am waiting to hear off my last uni :frown: If I don't get an offer I guess I will look at Extra but I'm so confused at what I want to do right now. Whether I want to re-apply for Nursing next year or look at other courses. A few questions... If there were nursing places in Extra I'm guessing I would have to attend an interview? Also if you study nursing you don't have to pay tuition fees so I have no idea about student finance, loans etc.

I also thought about just getting a job or doing a college course or something :frown: I'm so confused.
Original post by bex_1_2_1

I feel so depressed right now. I am waiting to hear off my last uni :frown:

Sorry your application hasn't been going well, it must be difficult for you. Have you found out why you were unsuccessful from your universities? If you haven't, this is a good place to start and might help you decide where to go next.

From what you're saying it sounds like you're unsure of nursing generally, regardless of whether you get an offer from Swansea or not... is this just because you've had a tough time or is there more to it than that? As nursing is the sort of degree you can't be half hearted about and you have to really want to do it, so I'd spend time working out now what your feelings are towards nursing and university generally. Having a gap year might give you time to work out what you do (and don't want to do) so that your application next year will be stronger and if you do apply for nursing again it will give you time to get even more experience.

With Extra, yes you would have to attend an interview if this is the norm for nursing courses. I believe there are still a number of nursing options available in UCAS which might be of interest to you and you can also ask if they will accept a new PS if you feel it isn't doing you justice. With the funding, I'd assume the university will tell you about applying to the NHS for your fees etc once you had a confirmed place, so don't worry about that bit now. On the other hand, you can also use Extra to apply for a totally different course so don't feel you can only apply for nursing in this application cycle. If there is something else you'd rather be doing you could take a look into it now.
Thank you.

You said you applied to UEA for English & Philosphy in the English applicant thread though :confused:
I feel so depressed right now. I am waiting to hear off my last uni :frown: If I don't get an offer I guess I will look at Extra but I'm so confused at what I want to do right now.

I'm in the same boat; I got rejected by 5 universities and am waiting on Royal Holloway and UEA for English. If those universities reject me, too, I'm thinking of just working for a year and building up experience. Maybe you can try internships or jobs in the meantime? Good luck!
Reply 69
Got my 4th rejection - Bristol.
Now just waiting on Edinburgh. And I swear they are taunting me!
I got a track update notification, so went to log in, expecting a decision. The date changed on Edinburgh to that day, but nothing else had changed.
What is going on?
Someone to me that this could be a UCAS error. Do I ring them up? Or should I carry on waiting?
Original post by CharlyM
Got my 4th rejection - Bristol.
Now just waiting on Edinburgh. And I swear they are taunting me!
I got a track update notification, so went to log in, expecting a decision. The date changed on Edinburgh to that day, but nothing else had changed.
What is going on?
Someone to me that this could be a UCAS error. Do I ring them up? Or should I carry on waiting?

Ouch, it must feel so bad to be you.
Reply 71
Original post by DancerPerson
I'm in the same boat; I got rejected by 5 universities and am waiting on Royal Holloway and UEA for English. If those universities reject me, too, I'm thinking of just working for a year and building up experience. Maybe you can try internships or jobs in the meantime? Good luck!

There are a lot of very good universities in Extra for English, including RHUL. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an offer from them considering that situation. If not, I posted a list of places in Extra on the English applicants thread - there are places like Southampton, Liverpool, Sheffield... places you wouldn't expect that would be brilliant! Have a look, best of luck though xx
I feel I have an issue with my university choices, though I haven't been rejected from all of them.
I didn't get offers from my first two choices KCL and UCL (perhaps unsurprisingly as I hoped to do English) and have offers from Goldsmiths, QMUL and Brighton, Queen Mary is the one that I am likely to firm.
But I feel like all this university stress is bringing on some sort of nervous breakdown. I'm not even using the term lightly, worst luck. Much as I like QMUL I am worried about getting the grades and would much, much rather reapply next year. But obviously because all my friends are going off to university this year and the fees are going up I don't feel this is an option open to me. I have so many concerns and am feeling the stress. Even if I did get the grades I'd rather just 'sit on' them for a year and think about what I actually want to do with my life.
Original post by jelly1000
You said you applied to UEA for English & Philosphy in the English applicant thread though :confused:

My bad.

I intend to apply for Leicester if UEA say no.

My bad.
:colondollar: :o:p :facepalm:
My bad.

I intend to apply for Leicester if UEA say no.

My bad.
:colondollar: :o:p :facepalm:

Ah I see, well best of luck, I hope you get a positive response from UEA. Why don't you drop in to the UEA forum and say hi, we are a friendly bunch!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by feverrobotics
I feel I have an issue with my university choices, though I haven't been rejected from all of them.
I didn't get offers from my first two choices KCL and UCL (perhaps unsurprisingly as I hoped to do English) and have offers from Goldsmiths, QMUL and Brighton, Queen Mary is the one that I am likely to firm.
But I feel like all this university stress is bringing on some sort of nervous breakdown. I'm not even using the term lightly, worst luck. Much as I like QMUL I am worried about getting the grades and would much, much rather reapply next year. But obviously because all my friends are going off to university this year and the fees are going up I don't feel this is an option open to me. I have so many concerns and am feeling the stress. Even if I did get the grades I'd rather just 'sit on' them for a year and think about what I actually want to do with my life.

First of all - RELAX! CHILL OUT! You are in a fortunate position and have offers from some very good universities. YOU HAVE NOT PULLED THE SHORT STRAW!

What is it about QMUL that's making you stressed? You obviously want to be in London, and QMUL is a very well reputed course and university. Are you being afflicted by the residue of superiority that TSR has, that you could only go to KCL or UCL or be a failure? You should realise, if this is the case, that TSR is filled with overachievers and that you only hear their view. You have offers from the university of London!! Many people would kill to be in your shoes. Relax.

Look at the university itself, compare it with Goldsmiths, and take time to think about it. There's no rush.

If you're having doubts about your course then I'd definitely drop out and take a gap year - if you look at the way the new fees are structured the repayment really isn't bad. Bear in mind that you have until your university terms starts to cancel your place and student finance without any repercussions.

If I was you (I did a similar thing last year) I would think about accepting my place, go visit, firm something up and do student finance. You may change your mind about the whole thing and, if not, you can always cancel your place on results day and reapply.

The world is your oyster at the minute. You don't have to make a split decision. Relax!! Best of luck with your choices xx
Original post by Muffinz
There are a lot of very good universities in Extra for English, including RHUL. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an offer from them considering that situation. If not, I posted a list of places in Extra on the English applicants thread - there are places like Southampton, Liverpool, Sheffield... places you wouldn't expect that would be brilliant! Have a look, best of luck though xx

Thanks! What is "Extra", though? I am applying from the United States; is that the same as "petitioning" in terms of asking the universities to look at my application one more time?
Reply 77
Original post by DancerPerson
Thanks! What is "Extra", though? I am applying from the United States; is that the same as "petitioning" in terms of asking the universities to look at my application one more time?

It gives you an additional option through UCAS if you didn't get any offers or declined all your offers first time around. There's a lot of misinformation about how to get into Extra around TSR (I don't wanna tell you a load of ****!) so definitely do your research. Basically if unis didn't fill their courses first time around it allows people to apply late for places.
Reply 78
Original post by Dentalprodigy
Ouch, it must feel so bad to be you.

Yeah, thanks.

:indiff:
Reply 79
Got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday :smile:
Have firmed it (not that I had any other option)....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending