The Student Room Group

I don't feel male or female.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the reply.

Well I sort of do see myself as a natural female (psychologically) with a male body. I'm pretty confused myself though to be honest because I also enjoy typical male activities. It's all very confusing so sorry I can't really answer that question. I sometimes feel like a transexual but then I don't fit the stereotype of that either. I'm very introverted and shy so maybe I just haven't found myself yet.

Ok, I guess this is a bit strange but I often look at girls and secretly wish I was them or had their bodies. Or I wonder what it would be like to be them. I know thats weird. Sometimes, I also look at girls and think they're pretty (not in the usual way of being attracted to them but by being a little envious and wishing I had their features etc). That must sound so strange? Do you ever look at men and wish you were someone else?

I also fantasise about having a woman's body occasionally. How it would feel to have a beautiful delicate body and what type of colours/ clothes would suit me, how I would dress/ look. I just think a womans body is beautiful. There is definitely a sexual element to this for me.

Just curious, but what sort of upbringing did you have? For me personally, I was brought up in pretty much a single parent family (Mother) because my Father was not around much. For me, I think this has had a huge influence on the way I am.

When I say I don't care what people think, that's not entirely true. Maybe wishful thinking!

Hi again :smile:

I think I get what you mean by looking at the opposite gender and wishing you were them. I used to do it a lot but I think I was still working myself out a lot, I always preferred more male activities and clothes so I thought I might be transgender therefore would look at men and think what it'd be like but for the past few years I've thought about it more and I don't think I would like to be male either as I don't feel male I just enjoy some things which are seen as being male things but I don't really see them as necessarily being only for men. It doesn't sound like it's the same with you though, as you say about fantasising about women's bodies in a much more in depth way than I did for men. For me it was about adjusting myself to match more into the boxes already there but it still wouldn't really be what I felt inside whereas for you it sounds like it's more what you actually feel like. I don't know lol I'm sorry I hope you don't mind me saying that, that's just what it seems like from reading what you wrote.

My upbringing was a little messed up, my parents were hardly around and I got bullied a lot so I was always very much on my own and had to try and solve any problems myself. I'm not so sure if this contributed to how I feel because as far back as I remember I've never felt female.
Though I align myself as a guy I don't mind thinking that a guy is attractive because I'm not ashamed of my sexuality and I know ultimately who I date (females) so what if I think this guy is attractive?
You probably watch television and listen to popular music and are indulged in popular culture?

Your sex is that which you were born with - wanting otherwise is to be mad (or rather you have a brain disorder).

There is nothing wrong with homosexuals or bisexuals - but transsexuals ... I don't know what they are - an entirely different species altogether? :eek::eek:
Hi, ok, I was thinking about stuff and wondering if anyone else felt the same.

I don't feel female or male, just feel like me. I'm biologically female but often wear men's clothes simply because I like how they look. I have spiky hair because I like how it looks and how easy it is to maintain. I feel uncomfortable when people refer to me as "she" or "her" but I don't feel comfortable being called "sir", as has happened a few times, either. I don't think I'm a transexual as I don't actually want to be a guy I just don't feel particularly female. Is that transexual? I'm not a lesbian, I'm bisexual and will go for men or women I like the look of, not necessarily feminine men or butch girls but people from across all the spectrum.

Basically I'm feeling pretty confused and have been feeling confused for quite a few years. I'd like to just be me, wear what I like and have people accept that but I usually get the "must be a lesbian" comments. Is this anything anyone can help with or am I stuck with this confusion over myself for the rest of my life?

If you're going to be abusive or rude, please don't bother, I got enough of that in my life.

I dont feel female either, or male. Im female. But my boobs make me feel weird and saying Im a woman is weird.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
You probably watch television and listen to popular music and are indulged in popular culture?

Your sex is that which you were born with - wanting otherwise is to be mad (or rather you have a brain disorder).

There is nothing wrong with homosexuals or bisexuals - but transsexuals ... I don't know what they are - an entirely different species altogether? :eek::eek:

Don't be an ignorant moron. We're all human and it's all natural. Its because of attitudes like yours that people can't act the way they want.

I've always had a strong female gender identity, so I'm not going to pretend to be able to understand.

That being said, look up Bed Nucleus of the Stria Terminalis (BNST). You aren't alone, and evidence shows the part of the brain that controls gender identity is different sizes in transsexuals. Its not a choice.

If you want to change your body, GP is always the best option. If not, change things slowly but surely till you feel comfortable just being yourself around people. Might be a good start to tell family/close friends how you feel.x
Reply 65
Thanks for the reply.

I think I get where you're coming from but I think perhaps you misunderstood my post (my fault for going on a tangent about sexual identity). I don't really think my sexual identity is relevant to anything, I don't make an issue of telling people I'm bi, although most my friends guessed, because I see sexual orientation as unimportant to how people should treat me as a person. I guess I see sexual orientation like I see gender, I go for what I like whether that be men/women or short hair/baggy jeans without really considering what I'm "meant" to do. I do what's comfortable to me.

I'm sorry I think I haven't explained too well. Do you think the problem is just that people don't realise I'm bi and if more people did they'd be more willing to accept how I present myself otherwise? With this acceptance then leading to me feeling less lost?

Something close to that, but also, what we seem to lack as a society is an awareness that our existence as sexual entities - our 'sexualisedness' - regardless of orientation/gender, varies from person to person. Just think of all the people you know - you'll find you can line them up in order of their 'sexualisedness' (actually, that sounds rather fun). You just happen to fit towards one end of the line rather than somewhere in the middle or wherever. Seriously, try it - rank your friends in order of how like you they are. However outlandish this may seem, the very fact that it'll seem obvious that person A might seem less unlike you than person B proves that the line exists and you're just at another point on it.

For what it's worth, I'm a male who believes that not only do both biological sexes encompass aspects of both genders in variable proportions, but that each of these gender elements has both a straight and a gay component. All four of us find you very interesting!

Don't be an ignorant moron. We're all human and it's all natural. Its because of attitudes like yours that people can't act the way they want.

I've always had a strong female gender identity, so I'm not going to pretend to be able to understand.

That being said, look up Bed Nucleus of the Stria Terminalis (BNST). You aren't alone, and evidence shows the part of the brain that controls gender identity is different sizes in transsexuals. Its not a choice.

If you want to change your body, GP is always the best option. If not, change things slowly but surely till you feel comfortable just being yourself around people. Might be a good start to tell family/close friends how you feel.x

In other words, transsexuals have a brain disorder - as I said.
Reply 67
To be honest I've never even thought about this issue until I read this thread but when I really think about it I'm sort of in the same boat. I've always had a strange reaction inside when people refer to me as a girl, woman or lady, yet I've never in my life wanted to be a man. Before reading this thread I always thought I felt funny about it because of my low self esteem, I thought it was the fact that anyone was referring to me in general was the reason I felt weird but then I remembered I have a character I created when I was a child thats a boy and I never had that weird feeling when my sister referred to me as a boy in that character. It felt natural to be called a boy, and the thought of a random person referring to me now as a boy also sounds so natural. The more I delve into this topic the more I realise some humans are freaking complicated creatures.
Original post by kerily
That's perfectly normal. I would imagine you'll get transphobic abuse on this thread, but that is perfectly normal.

You don't have to identify as 'male' or 'female', and you don't have to say 'well, I have a female body but I feel male' or 'I have a male body but I feel female' either. There is far more to gender than the binary male/female split. You get people who are gender-neutral; who feel that they don't actually identify with a gender label, and that gender doesn't impact their self-image. You get people who are bigendered, so some days they feel 'female' and some days they feel 'male'. You get people who are third-gender, so they feel that they do have a gender, but it's not male or female. You get people who are genderqueer, which is basically a catch-all term for not fitting into the binary view of things.

Basically, look into communities of people who are genderqueer - the internet is actually a great place to do this. And don't be afraid to explore your gender identity. Who you're attracted to has nothing to do with your gender; a very masculine person who identifies as female, for example, doesn't have to be a lesbian.

How is it normal?
Normal: male body --> male; female body --> female
Original post by Alexisonfire
How is it normal?
Normal: male body --> male; female body --> female

What do you mean by "male body?" Sex isn't that clear-cut. There are so many components of sex: chromosomes, hormones, chemical influences, etc. And 'male' and 'female' are not the only options! Something like 1 in every 2,000 births is intersex (what used to be called 'hermaphrodites').

Furthermore, you're conflating sex (having a biological basis) with gender (a cultural construct).
Original post by BPhilHopeful
What do you mean by "male body?" Sex isn't that clear-cut. There are so many components of sex: chromosomes, hormones, chemical influences, etc. And 'male' and 'female' are not the only options! Something like 1 in every 2,000 births is intersex (what used to be called 'hermaphrodites').

Furthermore, you're conflating sex (having a biological basis) with gender (a cultural construct).

Gender is the properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles; sex is either of the two categories, male or female, into which most organisms are divided.

I do see that intersex people do exist, however I want to challenge the claim that being intersex is normal. 1 in 2000 isn't normal. 1999 in 2000 is normal.
(edited 13 years ago)
Gender is the properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles; sex is either of the two categories, male or female, into which most organisms are divided.

I do see that intersex people do exist, however I want to challenge the claim that being intersex is normal. 1 in 2000 isn't normal. 1999 in 2000 is normal.

terminology varies by discipline, but a philosophical definition of gender does not include any properties. Rather, 'gender' is applied to social and psychological considerations, whereas 'sex' represents biological properties, including reproductive ones.

If you take into account the size of the world population, 1 in 2000 births represents a sizable population of intersex people: more than the population of Iceland, Belize, the Bahamas, or many other countries! Are you saying that Icelanders are abnormal? I rather like them, just generalizing, as a nationality...
Reply 72
My friend started the think outside the box campaign which is a Cambridge based campaign for issues that effect people that don't identify with either gender binary. They also have a preferred choice of gender neutral pronoun and have changed their name to one which is gender neutral.
of course its normal.
its called genderqueer.
or others prefer terms such as gender neautral.
it just means that you see yourself as a person and not a specific gender. my girlfriend feels the same.
its all cool :smile:
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£

get off your high horse
Reply 75
Original post by wm123
Strap on?

Ahhh your sig is amazing!!!!
I'll make you feel like a woman :sexface:
terminology varies by discipline, but a philosophical definition of gender does not include any properties. Rather, 'gender' is applied to social and psychological considerations, whereas 'sex' represents biological properties, including reproductive ones.

If you take into account the size of the world population, 1 in 2000 births represents a sizable population of intersex people: more than the population of Iceland, Belize, the Bahamas, or many other countries! Are you saying that Icelanders are abnormal? I rather like them, just generalizing, as a nationality...

I guess you could take any definition you wanted to fit your point. I chose a scientific definition, not a wishy-washy philosophical one.

I don't really see your point with the Icelanders. If you are born in Iceland, it is normal to be an Icelander. The issue we are talking about here is probably spread more evenly across the globe, therefore making it impossible to be normal relative to anything comparable.
I guess you could take any definition you wanted to fit your point. I chose a scientific definition, not a wishy-washy philosophical one.

I don't really see your point with the Icelanders. If you are born in Iceland, it is normal to be an Icelander. The issue we are talking about here is probably spread more evenly across the globe, therefore making it impossible to be normal relative to anything comparable.

"Wishy-washy philosophical"? how about "arbitrary scientific?" What is the conceptual justification for the distinction you gave between sex and gender? The point of the philosophical distinction is to emphasize the role of society and psychology in gender identity and performance, a component I don't see in the definitions you gave.

Being born homosexual, it is normal to be homosexual, but you're right, the Islander example was too concentrated to be a good analogy. I stand behind my point that 'normal' does not mean belonging to the majority under some measure, but rather, 'normal' means conforming to a standard that can be expected. So a more wide-spread example: Only 2% of the world population has green eyes (far fewer than are homosexual), yet we can consider green eyes 'normal' because there is a large enough incidence of green eyes for it to be an expectable pattern. And if you're born with green eyes, then it's certainly normal to be green-eyed.
"Wishy-washy philosophical"? how about "arbitrary scientific?" What is the conceptual justification for the distinction you gave between sex and gender? The point of the philosophical distinction is to emphasize the role of society and psychology in gender identity and performance, a component I don't see in the definitions you gave.

Being born homosexual, it is normal to be homosexual, but you're right, the Islander example was too concentrated to be a good analogy. I stand behind my point that 'normal' does not mean belonging to the majority under some measure, but rather, 'normal' means conforming to a standard that can be expected. So a more wide-spread example: Only 2% of the world population has green eyes (far fewer than are homosexual), yet we can consider green eyes 'normal' because there is a large enough incidence of green eyes for it to be an expectable pattern. And if you're born with green eyes, then it's certainly normal to be green-eyed.

It is natural to be gay, but nevertheless unusual.
It is natural to be green-eyed, but nevertheless unusual.
It is natural to be transgender, but very very unusual (0.005%), and therefore can be considered abnormal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending