The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mujeriego
Ugh...

Oh come on :mad: At least give a satisfactory reply.

Original post by History-Student
There's no courage involved in suicide. It's your life to do with as you please, but don't dare kid yourself that this is some noble choice; quitting is quitting, whatever form it takes.

It actually requires a lot of courage to finish yourself off- it's easy to stick to living, the thing that you've known for so long. That's I've been doing all these years. Even when I had nothing in life to live for- no goals, no friends, no interests- I managed to just get through each day and get myself to bed in the evening and wake up. I didn't want to do that, but the thought of killing myself just scared me so much. I mean, I was just so paralysed by the fear of the pain of the few moments before I die. The neck snapping, the bones breaking, whatever it is. I know I'm a coward, but I can't help it. The only thing that keeps me alive sometimes is the fear of a painful death.

EDIT: Just to add, I appreciate that you at least respect our entitlement to our own lives.

Better than nothing I suppose.

Exactly :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Why are you depressed in the first place?
Reply 22
Original post by mathperson
I'm sorry?

and I don't post this all the time, I made a few threads 18 months back.

I'm being silly, don't take it seriously.

Ahh it hasn't been that long, I'm sure you've posted about similar feelings more recently :smile:.

Either way, the fact that suicide is still in your head is a clear sign that you should see someone - it won't hurt!
(edited 13 years ago)

counselling did work when I received it.

If counselling helped, then surely the plan should be to see your GP and get them to refer you again????
what if you get hit by a car tomorrow, and survive? i doubt you will have the same outlook on life...
Original post by innerhollow

It actually requires a lot of courage to do it- it's easy to stick to living, the thing that you've known for so long. That's I've been doing all these years. Even when I had nothing in life to live for- no goals, no friends, no interests- I managed to just get through each day and get myself to bed. That's the coward's way.

Difficult =/= courageous.

Courage is doing what you need to rather than what you want to; in this instance sticking it out because your suicide will affect someone, and choosing your peace over theirs is decidedly not courageous.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
I'm sorry?

saying at some point doesn't mean that death is a process that happend in a interval of time, during which you can be half-dead etc, it just means that I will die by suicide at some point, but I don't know when that point will be in time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by kiss_me_now9
No you won't. I for one won't let you! And I know there are other people who will say the same.

Thankyou, I have tried to help others as you know, particularly with one of my most recent threads about how people react when someone posts about depression on TSR ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1567460 )
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
people who arn't depressed underestimate how much of a bearing it has on individuals. its like the world is as it is...but tainted with grey and everything is ultimalty boaring or you are just apathetic towards it and there is no joy or elation or sense of purpose...it undermines the fundamentals of living and so it is ,by no means suprising to infer that such will be the ending of a persons life (suicide)...

the only hope is that one day things will be different, one day you will wake up and FEEL...

well heres hoping then!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Please don't :frown: :console:
no offence taken. it's a fair point.

I'd like to hope that it wouldn't happen. I've not had any similar thoughts since I recovered.
Original post by History-Student
Difficult =/= courageous.

Courage is doing what you need to rather than what you want to; in this instance sticking it out because your suicide will affect someone, and choosing your peace over theirs is decidedly not courageous.

In actual fact courage is the overcoming of fears, but use whatever words you want. If you want to use "difficult" then I will happily oblige. Regardless, when I'm feeling awful and like I can't go on, it's not my friends/family that keep me going. Definitely not. It's the terror of actually dying. I want to die, but I just can't muster the will to hurt myself. Unfortunately assisted suicide is illegal, so I can't ask someone to help kill me :/

This is a rather irrelevant discussion anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by clarity-
people who arn't depressed underestimate how much of a bearing it has on individuals. its like the world is as it is...but tainted with grey and everything is ultimalty boaring or you are just apathetic towards it and there is no joy or elation or sense of purpose...it undermines the fundamentals of living and so it is ,by no means suprising to infer that such will be the ending of a persons life (susicide)...

the only hope is that one day things will be different, one day you will wake up and FEEL...

One cannot be certain exactly whether they were/ are depressed. Everyone will exprience different types of depression. I dont like it when people feel they can sum depression in a few words. As you have said, it causes people to commit suicide it cannot be taken lightly.
(edited 12 years ago)
In actual fact courage is the overcoming of fears, but use whatever words you want. If you want to use "difficult" then I will happily oblige. Regardless, when I'm feeling awful and like I can't go on, it's not my friends/family that keep me going. Definitely not. It's the terror of actually dying. I want to die, but I just can't muster the will to hurt myself. Unfortunately assisted suicide is illegal, so I can't ask someone to help kill me :/

Hey, if that's how you see it then that's your call.

Personally I'd keep going & just play the lottery 3 times/week. You never know, jackpot might make you not want to kill yourself.

people who arn't depressed underestimate how much of a bearing it has on individuals. its like the world is as it is...but tainted with grey and everything is ultimalty boaring or you are just apathetic towards it and there is no joy or elation or sense of purpose...it undermines the fundamentals of living and so it is ,by no means suprising to infer that such will be the ending of a persons life (suicide)...

When I was depressed the pain I felt emotionally felt like it was literally tearing me apart, it wasn't exactly boredom. I wasn't bored of life, I wanted life over - I wanted out because I just couldn't hack it any more. I'd reached my limit.

HOWEVER, I finally got help and am on my way to full recovery - it does get better OP, as well you know. It does sound like the depression is still lingering though, maybe see your GP? :hugs:
OK, firstly I just want to say this is not a thread that has been made because I've had a bad day, and is it not a simple rant.

I'm not clinically depressed at the moment, and so am not in receipt of any counselling or medication therapy.

However, as many people on TSR will be aware, I have experienced real, and severe, depression 1 year back (which I had for about 18 months - 2 years in total, but feelings of 'being down'/upset for probably 3 years to be realistic).

I just feel that at some point, maybe in the next six months, maybe in the next 10 years (though I must admit I don't think it will be that long at all) that I will die by suicide.

I'm not writing this thread because I expect someone to reply with a well rehersed answer, just because I feel as though I would like to express it.

Thanks.

I spoke to you a year or two ago, you have autism right? If you commit suicide, you will do so consciously. I will just say don't!! Why do you feel down by the way?
Reply 36
Original post by King-Panther
I spoke to you a year or two ago, you have autism right? If you commit suicide, you will do so consciously. I will just say don't!! Why do you feel down by the way?

yeah thats right, you have a good memory, I have asperger's, but now I've overcome the social side of things.

could you tell me exactly what you mean by the bold?
It's not that my life is particularly bad (I think I have a rather nice little life actually :smile: ) I just think there's no point continuing with some tedious existence when I'm going to die anyway. Life for me is just a stream of boredom punctuated by the occassional burst of positive emotion. That's the same for everyone, but I've decided, it's not really worth it on the whole. I think I'll get a few things I want to in life done, and then quit while I'm ahead.

EDIT: I'll remember to donate all my current money to a chosen charity and get an organ donor card before I do though. I promise!

I feel the same way sometimes, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that I want to commit suicide :lolwut:.

Since your alive might as well live.

Original post by Paint-a-Picture
You are an idiot. One cannot be certain exactly whether they were/ are depressed. Everyone will exprience different types of depression. I dont like it when people feel they can sum depression in a few words. As you have said, it causes people to commit suicide it cannot be taken lightly.

I'm not sure I understand this. You can still detect or tell that someone has depression because of the usual symptoms otherwise you couldn't/wouldn't diagnose it
(edited 13 years ago)

One death every forty seconds. You wanna be erased just like that? It's so meaningless...
(edited 12 years ago)
Stuart Adamson wrote lyrics including the phrase "Stay alive" and reckoned former bandmate Richard Jobson would die by suicide, once stated it in an interview; in December 2001, Adamson hung himself and Jobson is still alive.

Things don't always turn out how we think.

Latest