The Student Room Group

Religion Is Needed In Society To Give Hope And Keep The Masses In Line.

For all of those who are so against the religion to the point of abolishing it - I think abolishing religion or some religions would be a dangerous and undesirable road to go down.

This is because, religion gives hope to the meek and "fallen" and keeps the "masses" at bay. Society needs people to think that they are acting "good" under the eyes of a deity or else, if there were no religion, the chances are that those same people would be unruly and go about causing mayhem and "evil". Of course, there are some who would be sensible anyway, religion or no religion. But, a majority may not be so sensible.

Thus, religion is actually needed alongside Law and Order in order to maintain society.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for the topic.
Reply 2
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
For all of those who are so against the religion to the point of abolishing it - I think abolishing religion or some religions would be a dangerous and undesirable road to go down.

This is because, religion gives hope to the meek and "fallen" and keeps the "masses" at bay. Society needs people to think that they are acting "good" under the eyes of a deity or else, if there were no religion, the chances are that those same people would be unruly and go about causing mayhem and "evil". Of course, there are some who would be sensible anyway, religion or no religion. But, a majority may not be so sensible.

Thus, religion is actually needed alongside Law and Order in order to maintain society.

Discuss.

Dude you have some good ideas... not really. You come across as kinda stupid and arogant in most of the threads I have seen you in. If you genuinely believe that religion is needed because people who are less capable of handling the 'truth' than you need it as a control mechanism, I just hope to God you never enter a position of control. Seriously, you seem smart but try to alienate yourself less.

Higher human? Just coz you can give up ****ing?
The masses need religion? Coz everyone else is so stupid right?
We should declare war on an unbeatable being for ****s and giggles? Why? (i think you used some kind of line about how that thread was just a test for people on tsr, but seriously...)

On topic though, even if I accept the premise that the 'masses' need some kind of conditioning, why does that conditioning have to be religion. Also I don't know of many peopel who want to abolish religion, I think you are talking about secularists... which makes your thread irrelevant.
Completely original and inquisitive ideas. You didn't at all just rephrase the Marxist idea that religion is the Opiate of the masses.
Reply 4
Religion gives false hope and promises that never come. People rely on religion instead of actually acting upon the situation. Or when they do act upon the situation they say it was religion that sorted it.

Religion is delusional.
Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and ****.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah.
Reply 7
Uhh... I don't worship a deity and I don't run around stealing old ladies' shopping and kicking their dogs.
Reply 8
There is no morality without a God - when there is no higher power among humans the only determinate of right and wrong is the economy of power.

So, God is essential to a pleasant life for the most part.
Reply 9
Original post by U.S Lecce
Religion gives false hope and promises that never come. People rely on religion instead of actually acting upon the situation. Or when they do act upon the situation they say it was religion that sorted it.

Religion is delusional.

I'm religious and I don't believe that God would directly intervene in my life, rather give me strength to do the right thing and to act pragmatically.

What promises does religion give that can actually be falsified - that there is an afterlife? lol.
no.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£

Discuss.

Tell that to Sweden, a country where over 80% are atheists
"Without false hope, people would drown in their sorrow."

That sort of what you're getting at?
Reply 13
Original post by harmonize
that there is an afterlife? lol.

Well yes that is the main false promise, the one that keeps the theists hooked.

It's like carrot and stick with religion.
Reply 14
Original post by U.S Lecce
Well yes that is the main false promise, the one that keeps the theists hooked.

THere is no evidence that it is a false promise lol.
Reply 15
Original post by harmonize
THere is no evidence that it is a false promise lol.

There's no evidence to say i'm not superman.
Reply 16
Case in point the east.Oh wait...
Reply 17
Marxist idea but I agree
Reply 18
What a load of bull crap! Seriously. It's like if you take away a child's teddy they're gonna throw a tantrum! Surely the fact that removing religion from these people's lives would cause chaos and catastrophy would mean that these people shouldn't be walking the streets! If they are suddenly faced with reality and "snap" then surely they are a little bit unhinged and arent safe! Hmm, personally I think religion was a story book gotten out of hand by people desperate to feel better about life!
Original post by Chasie-ann
What a load of bull crap! Seriously. It's like if you take away a child's teddy they're gonna throw a tantrum! Surely the fact that removing religion from these people's lives would cause chaos and catastrophy would mean that these people shouldn't be walking the streets! If they are suddenly faced with reality and "snap" then surely they are a little bit unhinged and arent safe! Hmm, personally I think religion was a story book gotten out of hand by people desperate to feel better about life!

It is indeed like a child throwing a tantrum when their teddy bear is taken away - the difference is that the many religious people would probably commit suicide or just sink into a wealth of sorrow...

Some people do not want to deal with reality - religion is for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending