The Student Room Group

Year 11s, have you started revising for your GCSEs yet? What are your week points?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ears
I've started. Just an hour a day really but more for the subjects I need to learn (ie statistics because I'm entering myself). I'll get more intense in the holidays I think.

Still need to get stats coursework done :/

What were your coursework marks for english out of interest? What exam board did you do?
Reply 41
Original post by Extricated
What were your coursework marks for english out of interest? What exam board did you do?

I think for Lit there were 3 pieces. Romeo was 54/54 A*, Inspector Calls was 48/54 A and Pre-1914 stories was 52/54 A*. (and 3 for QWC)
So that's 55/57 which I guess is an A*.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/index.php?759&tx_rgtabs_pi1[showAsFirst]=2 I used that btw. So AQA.

How did you do?
Reply 42
Original post by Ears
I think for Lit there were 3 pieces. Romeo was 54/54 A*, Inspector Calls was 48/54 A and Pre-1914 stories was 52/54 A*. (and 3 for QWC)
So that's 55/57 which I guess is an A*.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/index.php?759&tx_rgtabs_pi1[showAsFirst]=2 I used that btw. So AQA.

How did you do?

How do you get the total out of 57 again?
Reply 43
Original post by BookWormShanti
How do you get the total out of 57 again?

Average your three courseworks (all out of 54) and then add either 1/2/3 for you Quality of Written Communication, which will usually be 3.
Reply 44
Original post by Ears
Average your three courseworks (all out of 54) and then add either 1/2/3 for you Quality of Written Communication, which will usually be 3.

Cool, thanks :smile: It was the extra 3 that confused me.
Reply 45
Original post by Lozza_00
And has everyone done all their coursework?

Because I now feel bad about not answering the OP, no I have not started revising yet, outside homework revision tasks. Hoping to do some on Sunday though... I'm just a very bad procrastinator! Hoping easter will make up for it. I'm not too worried though. I'm aiming for 12.5 A*s (the .5 being Latin SC which I'll probably flunk) and a distinction in ICT. I already have 3 of those though, which helps, but I'm confident of getting them as I did in my Mocks in everything except maths, which was only a couple of marks away.
I've done all my coursework, yes, except one German speaking next Friday and I am trying to persuade my teacher to let me do another after easter.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Make sure you guys start revising at latest Easter :smile:
Organize your time wisely and you'll fly them :biggrin:
Good luck all!
Reply 47
Err nothing so far :K:
Was planning to start at Easter, but i found out yesterday that i surprisingly got 95% in my English AS coursework (:woo:) which has got me hopeful that i wont fail the rest of my GCSES :biggrin:
Because I now feel bad about not answering the OP, no I have not started revising yet, outside homework revision tasks. Hoping to do some on Sunday though... I'm just a very bad procrastinator! Hoping easter will make up for it. I'm not too worried though. I'm aiming for 12.5 A*s (the .5 being Latin SC which I'll probably flunk) and a distinction in ICT. I already have 3 of those though, which helps, but I'm confident of getting them as I did in my Mocks in everything except maths, which was only a couple of marks away.
I've done all my coursework, yes, except one German speaking next Friday and I am trying to persuade my teacher to let me do another after easter.

How do u do 13 GCSEs :/
I have started revision , 4hrs a day with gradually increasing intensity the closer I get to the exams, I'm aiming for 7-8A* :P
Original post by lilzoldier
I have started revision , 4hrs a day with gradually increasing intensity the closer I get to the exams, I'm aiming for 7-8A* :P

4 hours on school days? :eek: lol
Reply 51
Original post by Extricated
How do u do 13 GCSEs :/

3 options (hist, geog, re)
1 compulsory lang (fr)
1 add lang (Ger - means I miss half my pe and all ICT to do it)
Top sets do lots in core subjects ie - triple science, Maths & Stats
Latin after school (that only a o.5 though)
ICT OCR Nationals thingy (completed at home, as it is comp by govt but I have no lessons).

Quite a lot of people (about 30 ish I'd say) do 12 in my year, but it's only another boy and myself who do latin too.

Anyway, it's quality not quantity that counts.
3 options (hist, geog, re)
1 compulsory lang (fr)
1 add lang (Ger - means I miss half my pe and all ICT to do it)
Top sets do lots in core subjects ie - triple science, Maths & Stats
Latin after school (that only a o.5 though)
ICT OCR Nationals thingy (completed at home, as it is comp by govt but I have no lessons).

Quite a lot of people (about 30 ish I'd say) do 12 in my year, but it's only another boy and myself who do latin too.

Anyway, it's quality not quantity that counts.

Hmm..Yes I obviously understand that it's quality not quantity, i was just surprised at the sheer amount of GCSEs that you do.
Original post by halii_94
4 hours on school days? :eek: lol

yeh :colondollar: I study from 5pm-9pm on school days, weekends even longer

wow i need to up my game :P lol

Wowa, now thats revision!

Luckily I've been revisign steadily throughout the whole year so over easter all I have to do is go over everything and go through tonne of past papers. I've already revised all of business, french, english lang+lit syllabuses, and the rest I'm close to the end. So glad I did what I did, no cramming for me ^.^
(edited 13 years ago)
started here nd there, but luks very difficult to concentrate nd im spending too long on one subject so i don't haveenough chance to revise few subjects in a day
Original post by Lozza_00
And has everyone done all their coursework?

I have done all mine for Eng, but re-doing it for A*s/As. Science I haven't.

Quick Reply

Latest