The Student Room Group

Do you see patterns, colours or shapes that aren't there?

Basically my whole life I've had this, and I've always thought everyone's had this, but today my friend told me that most people don't see these things...

When you look at things, do you see everything through a veil of vibrating colour/pattern? Like little coloured dots or patterns... I mean I've had it my whole life so I've assumed everyone has it, but my friend really freaked me out today and I'd like to know if it's just me???

Does any of the above make sense or is there something really wrong with me :frown:, my eyes or maybe it's all in my head I don't know :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

I have exactly the same thing. I thought it was pretty normal too and never bothered to ask anyone if they have the same thing.

I don't see massive shapes, but yeah, the vibrating coloured dots is what I have.
Reply 2
If I jump out of bed too quick in the morning and go a bit lightheaded... and under the influence of certain recreational substances.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I have exactly the same thing. I thought it was pretty normal too and never bothered to ask anyone if they have the same thing.

I don't see massive shapes, but yeah, the vibrating coloured dots is what I have.

Yeah yeah shapes and ****... Nah, apparently it's not that common =/
I looked it up... 'eye floaters' or myodesopsia being the fancy word.
its inside your eye apparently
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by forsaken_earth
Yeah yeah shapes and ****... Nah, apparently it's not that common =/
I looked it up... 'eye floaters' or myodesopsia being the fancy word.
its inside your eye apparently

I can't really imagine what you're talking about, so no lol, it's not that common.
Reply 5
This one time, when I was high, the music was making my vision spin and pulse in time with the music.

Was amazing!
Reply 6
I have the same thing too, and all these time I thought it was completely normal.

Can you make these shapes come and go, and sort of brighten and dim at will??
Reply 7
If that's how you describe floaters you should get a job in advertising... to the rest of us they're just dreary, out of focus blobs you occasionally notice when you stare into a clear blue sky.
Original post by jiayi930829
I have the same thing too, and all these time I thought it was completely normal.

Can you make these shapes come and go, and sort of brighten and dim at will??

When I'm stressing out about them they get a lot worse. Sometimes it's really hard to concentrate because of them. I think when I'm generally tired or anxious they get a lot lot worse.. like now.

But I can try to look past them, and they dim... Brighter if I look at whiter surfaces.
Oh and disappear when I look at my friend's face. just the face, everything else is still obscured... =(

Can you manipulate them??
You think you got problems. I can see in higher dimensions.
Original post by Joinedup
If that's how you describe floaters you should get a job in advertising... to the rest of us they're just dreary, out of focus blobs you occasionally notice when you stare into a clear blue sky.

But it really is very intense... I mean everything is obscured by a multicoloured shimmer of what I imagine electric currents would look like... And sometimes I think I see stuff in the corner of my eye and in actual fact it's not a mouse or anything it's just my eyes =(

Maybe I should get a job in advertising..
Original post by Simplicity
You think you got problems. I can see in higher dimensions.

Explain!
Original post by forsaken_earth
When I'm stressing out about them they get a lot worse. Sometimes it's really hard to concentrate because of them. I think when I'm generally tired or anxious they get a lot lot worse.. like now.

But I can try to look past them, and they dim... Brighter if I look at whiter surfaces.
Oh and disappear when I look at my friend's face. just the face, everything else is still obscured... =(

Can you manipulate them??

I can, sort of. I can make it go away if I roll my eyes in a particular way. Do you think we should get some treatment? It didn't really bother me until now that I know it is not normal. :confused:

Any idea why it would disappear when looking at your friend's face? Mine usually becomes prominent when I stare really hard at a bright surface.
Reply 13
Mmm here's what I think floaters look like.

(it's a simulated image obv)
I see transparent looking ( sort of artistic ) circles and bacterial looking things.
If I blink they jump up and I can sort of maneuver them across my field of vision.
^Anyone has that? :awesome:
Original post by confuzzled92
I see transparent looking ( sort of artistic ) circles and bacterial looking things.
If I blink they jump up and I can sort of maneuver them across my field of vision.
^Anyone has that? :awesome:

Me!

Sometimes they come at their free will, and I'll just sorta watch them go out of my vision. When I concentrate really hard I can make them come too, though not always..
Original post by jiayi930829
I can, sort of. I can make it go away if I roll my eyes in a particular way. Do you think we should get some treatment? It didn't really bother me until now that I know it is not normal. :confused:

Any idea why it would disappear when looking at your friend's face? Mine usually becomes prominent when I stare really hard at a bright surface.

It's not really treatable unless surgicaly, but I'm going to speak to my GP about it... I reckon you should too, who knows what they might suggest

I think it's rarer for younger people to have them, but unless they bother you or have appeared really suddenly they're meant to be harmless. Just annoying.

I think mine get worse when I am more anxious, but he really calms me down so I don't focus on them as much. But moreso i think tis cos it is worse with whiter surfaces, and he's fairly dark.
Reply 17
If I look outside on a sunny day towards the sky I can see hundreds of dots/particles that fly in random directions, I used to think it was pollen or little flies then I realised it pulsed. Seeing cells in my eye?
Original post by Joinedup
Mmm here's what I think floaters look like.

(it's a simulated image obv)

nah man, not just those... mine are multicoloured dots and crazy currents and ****
i can see through them, but they're still there
Original post by Akeh
If I look outside on a sunny day towards the sky I can see hundreds of dots/particles that fly in random directions, I used to think it was pollen or little flies then I realised it pulsed. Seeing cells in my eye?

it's 'embryonic' origin, so yeah you might be right with the cells thing

According to the internet, between the retina and the lens in the eye lies a transparent gel called vitreous humour (i like the name) and in it floats all this random crap and that's what you see... so it's actually inside your eye, not on its surface.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending