The Student Room Group

AS Physics - Waves helpp

Exam season is approaching pretty soon, and having recently done an end of unit test on the whole wave chapter, I have just realized that I actually don't understand it. My main areas of concern are: polarization, interference, coherence, and basically everything else. :colone:
Teacher is pretty unhelpful as well. :frown:

I was wondering if anyone has links to any good videos which go over this chapter.? :colondollar:

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. :smile:
Original post by sweetascandy
Exam season is approaching pretty soon, and having recently done an end of unit test on the whole wave chapter, I have just realized that I actually don't understand it. My main areas of concern are: polarization, interference, coherence, and basically everything else. :colone:

I was wondering if anyone has links to any good videos which go over this chapter.? :colondollar:

Do some exam papers and post the questions you have issues with over here.

We'll do our best to help.
Reply 2
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Do some exam papers and post the questions you have issues with over here.

We'll do our best to help.

The thing is, I actually have no idea how to answer those long-type questions. And they go completely off topic and tell you to apply your knowledge to different situations. I mean, I can't even get a grip of the basics.
But once I do get started, I will. Thanks for your help btw :smile:x
Reply 3
Which course are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by lukas1051
Which course are you doing?

OCR Physics A.
Reply 5
Do you have the physics 1 textbook? i find that reading that and the CGP guide
help me understand most things.. The questions are especially helpful.

Side note: Our teacher's helpful but we are kinda behind, we just started the
electromagentic spectrum lol.
Reply 6
Original post by cashy
Do you have the physics 1 textbook? i find that reading that and the CGP guide
help me understand most things.. The questions are especially helpful.

Side note: Our teacher's helpful but we are kinda behind, we just started the
electromagentic spectrum lol.

Urmm no, we have the OCR Physics A textbook. What exam board are you doing?! I've read through it all and stuff, and thought that I understood it. But when it comes to answering the questions, I just find it really difficult. Spesh when they tell you apply your knowledge to a completely different situation (i.e. one which you literally haven't even seen before!).
Reply 7
OCR Physics A.

Ah ok, I'm doing Physics B and the waves stuff is relatively easy, so perhaps your course is harder in that sense.
Reply 8
Original post by lukas1051
Ah ok, I'm doing Physics B and the waves stuff is relatively easy, so perhaps your course is harder in that sense.

Srsly? You'd think they would be similar. Do you have to do all this stuff on like polarisation, coherence, interference, superposition, etc.??
Reply 9
Srsly? You'd think they would be similar. Do you have to do all this stuff on like polarisation, coherence, interference, superposition, etc.??

We did a little on polarisation, not a great deal though, just the basics really. We do a lot about interference and superposition, but I don't think it's that hard to understand really. IDK about coherence, heard it mentione once but I don't even know what it means :s-smilie: we also did a lot on Youngs slits and diffraction however.
Reply 10

Im doing A2 physics now and of course that mean I did AS, what i found most helpful was the revision booklets, depending which exam board your school uses, get the one which that exam board produce, they are good because they go over what you actually need to know not like the text book where half the **** you don't even need to learn.
Reply 11
OCR Physics A.

OCR G482 - Electrons and photons, good luck with it. My most hated and toughest module ever taken from all my subjects, in the whole of my 2 years studying A level.
Reply 12
Urmm no, we have the OCR Physics A textbook. What exam board are you doing?! I've read through it all and stuff, and thought that I understood it. But when it comes to answering the questions, I just find it really difficult. Spesh when they tell you apply your knowledge to a completely different situation (i.e. one which you literally haven't even seen before!).

OCR A as well lol

I find the official OCR textbook a tad too difficult ( and im pretty sure some answers are wrong as well lol)

link to textbook here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physics-OCR-Cambridge-Advanced-Sciences/dp/0521724554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301339255&sr=8-1

Quick Reply

Latest