The Student Room Group

Are people sometimes jumping to conclusions on depression?

I've read many threads about people who say they are depressed yet when they claim their reasons it doesn't seem to justify the self-diagnosis. I feel that people can be quick to label themselves to make them feel better - I'm a bit like that too; if I know the problem then I can solve it except my counsellor told me I'm very depressed.

I'm not dismissing people. I'm respecting people's problems because for all I know people can be hiding some details of their lives and one thing can make someone depressed whereas it won't affect someone else.

All I'm saying is that depression is more than having a bad day or a mood. One can feel "depressed" but not have depression as it could be because for example education is stressing him/her out and is depressing them but that doesn't qualify you for depression. Though like I said, it is possible for something as small as this to cause depression.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely. Some people go through difficult patches and feel a little blue, stick the "depression" label on it and get some pills or counselling. It annoys me no end. Most people almost seem to want to have it to garner sympathy, and that's how you know they're exaggerating - once you have it, you do not want to be depressed.

Depression is ****ing horrendous.
Reply 2
In my opinion being depressed and having depression are two completely things. It's like people saying they have flu and going into college or whatever, if you have flu you can't get out of bed.. what they have is a cold.
(edited 13 years ago)
Controversial tbh

Just like poverty, I'm classed as in poverty, yet I have a nice bed, money, food, able to go out with mates, enough for driving lessons. Yet the idea of poverty to me is starving children in 3rd world countries?

Like they say 1/4 adults are depressed? Really....
Reply 4
Any form of self diagnosis is total *******s.
Reply 5
It's up to opinion. Personally, sure I have depression - it sucks so bad the sheer.... feeling of feeling so bitter that it feel like belittling my existence, the fact that it's affecting my life; my school work - I've skipped 3 days this week as I can't face it; I've lost almost all hope for the future; I've lost the burning passion to write my book and I'm so miserable.

Anyway, despite that I feel this way, I can confidently say that I can laugh when I watch something funny, though I feel rough 98% of the time there are times when I feel lively and I cherish those until my mood inevitably lowers.
Reply 6
I think people (who don't have depression) often have an incorrect view of it though.

People often think that something bad has to have happened/there has to be a good reason for people to get depressed. If something (like stressful school or whatever) is happening to someone and they get diagnosed with depression they would then label this person as not very depressed. Depression is an illness, rather than feeling sad because something has happened to make you feel sad - thats just human. People with depression often have no reason to be sad, hence the diagnosis, rather than just being sad.

From an out-side perspective this person has little to be "sad" about, so people will label them as pansies or whatever.

Plus some depressed people will outwardly seem fine, though of course these people aren't likely to tell you they are depressed...

I also agree with IGregg, people saying they are "depressed" today is different from suffering from depression (though you mentioned medication, so evidently thats now what you are talking about)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable judging others about whether they are valid in claiming to be depressed or not. I say this because with mental health problems it largely also depends on the individual's level of self-awareness and ability to communicate their problems clearly. While we may intuitively perceive some sort of faltering or insincerity in someone's description of problems, I would rather look at it as a sign of help rather than to let them fall through the gaps.

The unfortunate thing about talking about one's depression is that when we try to raise the issue it inevitably requires an illustration of the causes and backstory. The truth is, when people do seek help they acknowledge the problem but lack an answer - hence posting for advice. To many it may seem quite 'obvious' what has gone wrong, but depressed individuals don't need that (they probably feel it acutely) and need concrete plans and actions - many feel paralysed by their situation as well.

As rational as I may seem here I too struggle to cope sometimes - I get too weak to get out of bed and feel devoid of interest or purpose, no hunger nor thirst, no thought yet inability to sleep. Not eating or drinking because of fatigue - and these are just physical symptoms.

Even people who are emotionally less resilient for their age shouldn't be read as 'garnering sympathy' - everybody has different breaking points and depressed people often catastrophize problems and fail to see what others do.
I agree with most of the previous comments. People sometimes do think they have depression, when actually they feel depressed. Depression itself is horrible.
But equally, someone with depression could have a sort-of good day, and because of that people may assume that they were bull****ting about being depressed.

It's an illness that just isn't understood by people at all, not most people anyway.
Original post by Anonymous
I've read many threads about people who say they are depressed yet when they claim their reasons it doesn't seem to justify the self-diagnosis. I feel that people can be quick to label themselves to make them feel better - I'm a bit like that too; if I know the problem then I can solve it except my counsellor told me I'm very depressed.

I'm not dismissing people. I'm respecting people's problems because for all I know people can be hiding some details of their lives and one thing can make someone depressed whereas it won't affect someone else.

All I'm saying is that depression is more than having a bad day or a mood. One can feel "depressed" but not have depression as it could be because for example education is stressing him/her out and is depressing them but that doesn't qualify you for depression. Though like I said, it is possible for something as small as this to cause depression.

It is my opinion that most people who say they're "depressed" are merely sad, going through a rough patch. A bad few weeks, maybe a bad couple of months. Most get over it. I agree with you, most just like the label, so many of my friends say "Oh I'm so depressed", their words not mine, It just makes me want to tell them to stfu. I try and sympathize, but at the end of the day, their problems are not only (in my eyes) insignificant, but they're largely temporary. I.E = Dumped by GF. Now don't get me wrong, I know what real depression is like and I can always tell whether someone really is depressed. I've only met one person in my school like that, though.

I just think the endless supply of people who mis-interpret/abuse It's meaning, demean or rather devalue the societal notion of depression as a whole. You get people telling you to "get over it", which would be perfectly applicable with the kind of people I described above, but for the real mental illness, It's futile. I welcome responses =]
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Extended Arpeggio

I just think the endless supply of people who mis-interpret/abuse It's meaning, demean or rather devalue the societal notion of depression as a whole. You get people telling you to "get over it", which would be perfectly applicable with the kind of people I described above, but for the real mental illness, It's futile. I welcome responses =]

I think people who have depression tell themselves to 'get over it' more than normal people do. It's not possible to judge people by appearances or consistency accurately. And the overall harshness, or need for a 'believable reason', is not making it easier for people who do need help to excuse themselves and seek it for fear of incurring the judgement of others.

Your mate at the pub laughing raucously and downing ten pints in the night could be depressed too - he might be overwhelmed with numbness about life for all you know. The skepticism that he may face could lead him to find behaviours to disguise or compensate for it, and that is thoroughly regrettable.
IMO you don't have Depression unless you've been diagnosed, or done the BDI test in the presence of a counsellor/psychiatrist/doctor and they've found that you have a score that indicates depression (I did).

When you see people claiming they've got depression because their boyfriend dumped them, it's seriously laughable. Yes, different people deal with things differently but that's feeling sad, that's not an illness that affects your life, your relationships, your outlook, whether you want to live or not etc.
I do think people jump to conclusions. Iv been diagnosed as having depression and been on anti depressants and anti anxiety tablets for the last 5 months. There is reasoning for me to have it I guess but it does annoy me when people are like 'im depressed'... Seriously... What?!
Reply 13
Original post by madders94

Original post by madders94
IMO you don't have Depression unless you've been diagnosed, or done the BDI test in the presence of a counsellor/psychiatrist/doctor and they've found that you have a score that indicates depression (I did).

When you see people claiming they've got depression because their boyfriend dumped them, it's seriously laughable. Yes, different people deal with things differently but that's feeling sad, that's not an illness that affects your life, your relationships, your outlook, whether you want to live or not etc.

I'm currently waiting for my referral to see a psychiatrist here. I know I have had issues for a long long time, and I've run a huge gamut of symptoms and destructive behaviours and terrifying personality traits. Tried to work out each of my problems one by one, but at the core I know I need help too. So I look for it, and will cheer on anyone else who has the courage to ask for help. I've had at least 10 years of problems dismissed as one thing or the other, leaving me at the mercy of myself to climb out - pansies or not I'll listen all the same.
I agree with most of you guys. I tried to say something similar in another thread and didn't find anyone who agreed. I think depression is thrown around too lightly. You ask most people of our generation and they will tell you they're depressed and it does upset me because depression is something I experience and it is something quite serious that affects my life.
Reply 15
yer it totally is especially if you study A-Level psychology and Abnormalities etc . it is a loose term thrown about...
i suffer from chonic mild depression ...mild because it ain't major and chronic because it been going on for like 2 years and wont BUGGER off. but gosh the way people go on about it , its like it is fashionable .. hmmmm
Original post by clarity-
yer it totally is especially if you study A-Level psychology and Abnormalities etc . it is a loose term thrown about...
i suffer from chonic mild depression ...mild because it ain't major and chronic because it been going on for like 2 years and wont BUGGER off. but gosh the way people go on about it , its like it is fashionable .. hmmmm

That's just it. For some people I think it is fashionable.
Original post by twist.the.illusion
That's just it. For some people I think it is fashionable.

They're welcome to take mine off me if it's so fashionable.

Srsly, so many people are ****ing morons.

I don't agree that you don't have depression unless you've been diagnosed by a doctor, sometimes it can be pretty ****ing obvious but yeah obviously when you think you got it you go see a doctor to get it confirmed. A lot of people have no idea what depression is, it pissed me off when you have all those people saying "OMG I'm like sooooo depressed because starbucks didn't put extra chocolate on my mocha frappy overpriced latte", I wish (horrible, vindictive guy that I am) that they actually were clinically depressed, even if just for an hour, then see them say it just because something didn't go their way.

/rant.
People tend to jump to conclusions on a lot of things.
Original post by Sabertooth
They're welcome to take mine off me if it's so fashionable.

I wish (horrible, vindictive guy that I am) that they actually were clinically depressed, even if just for an hour, then see them say it just because something didn't go their way.

I hate to say it but I think that too. I don't think you can really understand anything without experiencing it. And the same goes for those ignorant people who don't really get what depression is but throw their fifty pence in anyway, usually in the form of 'if you stop thinking about it it'll go away' or 'cheer up, it might never happen'.

Tell you what mate? It did happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending