The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Wait till your healthy.

No point in pushing yourself when you're ill. Going to do more harm than good.

Was it the high rate or just your fitness that let you down? Try some more high rate pieces so that you get used to the feeling.
Original post by Dave_Beeston
Thing is, I don't even know what went wrong. Now, my parents won't even let me go train on the erg upstairs because they think i'm too ill. Makes me want to break someone when I can't relax through rowing :P I'm going to start doing some more strength stuff at home, and i'm going to go down before each session and do a 2k. I'm going to try a 1:53 split tomorrow and just go down 1 pip each time I think!

If you've got the flu, seriously don't even bother training at all there will be literally no training effect and you'll just piss yourself off and possibly put yourself out for longer. Just give it like a week or something. It would have had a massive effect on your 2k. The times I had to do 2ks when I was ill, it felt like I had no power in my legs despite still feeling pretty fit.

My advice training wise would be to just follow your programme. You're at a very good school for rowing so they know what they're doing. If you dont feel like you're working hard enough and want to do extra then work on your technique, even if its on the erg. As for doing a 2k itself, what other pieces have you done at max effort? Use these as a base for predicting an attainable time to shoot for.

And please dont do a 2k before every session! If you want to do extra sessions everyday then do feet out 12k's at a very low resistance or something. It'll keep you on your toes technically, stimulate your aerobic system nicely and wont burn you out.

And keep a training diary if you want to stay focused.
Original post by partoftheweekend
If you've got the flu, seriously don't even bother training at all there will be literally no training effect and you'll just piss yourself off and possibly put yourself out for longer. Just give it like a week or something. It would have had a massive effect on your 2k. The times I had to do 2ks when I was ill, it felt like I had no power in my legs despite still feeling pretty fit.

My advice training wise would be to just follow your programme. You're at a very good school for rowing so they know what they're doing. If you dont feel like you're working hard enough and want to do extra then work on your technique, even if its on the erg. As for doing a 2k itself, what other pieces have you done at max effort? Use these as a base for predicting an attainable time to shoot for.

And please dont do a 2k before every session! If you want to do extra sessions everyday then do feet out 12k's at a very low resistance or something. It'll keep you on your toes technically, stimulate your aerobic system nicely and wont burn you out.

And keep a training diary if you want to stay focused.

I've only done one 5k, which I got 19:40 on (I stopped for about a minute though), and that was my first 2k yesterday. I've also done 500m where i've got an average of about 1:38/39 over 6 pieces. I did another one today, because they said they wanted me to. They think I just tired myself out last night because I had about 4 attempts before I finally did the 7:37 one. I got 7:32 which is already better, and I think I can bring it down fairly rapidly. It's just a case of getting healthier, building muscle, building fitness and i'm there :P As well as getting the mental strength for it!

What do you mean feet out?
Reply 883

What do you mean feet out?

He means sit on an erg and do a session without strapping your feet down. You won't generally be able to attain the same splits but it will improve your technique over time as you learn to push your feet down at the finish rather than using the straps to hold your feet in place.

Give it a try sometime, just be careful when you first do it in case you go straight off the slide at the finish!
Our new coach loves feet out rowing, we've done it before but not to such an extent. It's really helped us improve as a crew actually.

Apparently, one of my main issues technically is rocking my back too soon during the drive (i.e. I straighten out from leaning forward too quickly). Anyone have any ideas to help me improve this? I've tried a lot, it's just difficult.
Original post by Jessaay!
Our new coach loves feet out rowing, we've done it before but not to such an extent. It's really helped us improve as a crew actually.

Apparently, one of my main issues technically is rocking my back too soon during the drive (i.e. I straighten out from leaning forward too quickly). Anyone have any ideas to help me improve this? I've tried a lot, it's just difficult.

I have this problem to! What we did was when we stopped one time out on the water my coach got the guy infront of me to give his blade to the guy in front of him. The guy infront of me would then turn round and grab my blade as I went to the catch, and if you go to take a stroke (but obviously don't take a full one because you'll throw the person in front out of the boat!) and put your legs down first you'll find yourself in the correct body position and you'll be leant over. Go to the catch a few times and do this, you'll find it helps :smile:
Reply 886
Original post by Jessaay!

In addition to the above, do your erg warm ups from the front end - have you done this before? If not, I'll explain:

Instead of the usual sitting at backstops then arms, arms and body, quarter, half, 3/4, full slide warm up, do it from the other end....

1. Start at the catch position on the erg.

2. Keeping your back in the leant over position and your arms always straight, move back about 1 inch on the slide just by pushing on the footplate with your feet, still do the tapping down catching. This is 1 inch rowing from frontstops.

3. Lengthen the stroke to quarter way back on the slide, still staying leant over arms locked out.

4. Up to half slide

5. Up to 3/4 slide

6. Full slide but still as soon as your legs are fully locked out you should be leant over, arms locked out, and then tap down, forwards without any arms/body movement.

7. THEN bring in the body swing (will feel SO good as this can put a lot of strain on your back until you're used to it - don't overdo it! I CAN hurt a lot if you do too much, you need to ease your back into this especially if you're already leaning too early).

8. Then finally you can bring in the arms at the end.

This generally should improve compression at the catch and the proper sequence of legs-back-arms through the drive. If it's a bit complicated, ask your coach or a more experienced rower to show you as it's quite a common exercise to do.

Hopt that helps :smile:
Original post by dobbs
In addition to the above, do your erg warm ups from the front end - have you done this before? If not, I'll explain:

Instead of the usual sitting at backstops then arms, arms and body, quarter, half, 3/4, full slide warm up, do it from the other end....

1. Start at the catch position on the erg.

2. Keeping your back in the leant over position and your arms always straight, move back about 1 inch on the slide just by pushing on the footplate with your feet, still do the tapping down catching. This is 1 inch rowing from frontstops.

3. Lengthen the stroke to quarter way back on the slide, still staying leant over arms locked out.

4. Up to half slide

5. Up to 3/4 slide

6. Full slide but still as soon as your legs are fully locked out you should be leant over, arms locked out, and then tap down, forwards without any arms/body movement.

7. THEN bring in the body swing (will feel SO good as this can put a lot of strain on your back until you're used to it - don't overdo it! I CAN hurt a lot if you do too much, you need to ease your back into this especially if you're already leaning too early).

8. Then finally you can bring in the arms at the end.

This generally should improve compression at the catch and the proper sequence of legs-back-arms through the drive. If it's a bit complicated, ask your coach or a more experienced rower to show you as it's quite a common exercise to do.

Hopt that helps :smile:

Reverse pick drills pretty much? That's what we call it anyway. My back is awesome during those and I can keep it for a while but when we're doing a piece it's as though I forget. I'm probably one of the best at core strength in my boat but I don't seem to be able to maintain it in my techique. oh dear.
sooo what does anyone reckon is a good 5k time for a girl?
Reply 889
Original post by victoria13

maybe a split 7-8s above your 2k?? somewhere on the internet there is a calculator where you put in your 2k and it works out your targets for other sessions, but i have no idea where it is...
Original post by victoria13

Id say 20 mins and you're getting there. 19 mins and you'd be borderline good enough to go to GB U23 trials.
Reply 891
Oh dear Cambridge
Reply 892
Oh dear indeed.
I still don't get why they didn't go with an Empacher...

Oh, and the guy at 7 in the Cambridge boat was rushing sooo much up the slide! But other than that, it was a good race :biggrin:
Reply 894
I still don't get why they didn't go with an Empacher...

Oh, and the guy at 7 in the Cambridge boat was rushing sooo much up the slide! But other than that, it was a good race :biggrin:

I don't see Trapmore staying with the light blues for next year, or after his contract runs out anyway (if he's on one). Cambs had a lot more going for them.

And do you mean Rasmussen? I'm sure he was 7.

Also, would smash Liz Box :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 895
Original post by Tabris
I don't see Trapmore staying with the light blues for next year, or after his contract runs out anyway (if he's on one). Cambs had a lot more going for them.

And do you mean Rasmussen? I'm sure he was 7.

Also, would smash Liz Box :colonhash:

God yes.
Original post by Mithra
God yes.

Bah I was trying to hit the good rep button but on my phone. Sorry for the neg rep :/

Yeh I do mean Rassmussen or however you spell it! He was a big guy but his technique wasn't comparable to the other 7 :smile:
Reply 897
Bah I was trying to hit the good rep button but on my phone. Sorry for the neg rep :/

Yeh I do mean Rassmussen or however you spell it! He was a big guy but his technique wasn't comparable to the other 7 :smile:

Baha, I will never forgive you! This day shall live in infamy!

Rasmussen the boat club president who helped win last year was rushing the slide? Nice :p:
Original post by Mithra
Baha, I will never forgive you! This day shall live in infamy!

Rasmussen the boat club president who helped win last year was rushing the slide? Nice :p:

He was, I swear! About half way through, you could see he was coming to the catch way sooner than everyone else. He was the only thing wrong with the timing! I think it's just because they were all tired, and he was starting to slack up on his arms being fully extended before coming up the slide.

May have just been me being hypercritical because I actually know a few things about rowing now haha. Last year, I was like, "What the hell's a bow?". I shall have a look at the iplayer tomorrow to check :P
Reply 899
OMFG I just discovered a friend from school was in the running for the Cambridge team this year :p:. Certainly wasn't in the first eight but wonder if he was in the goldie team (I cannot find their list anywhere...)

He was, I swear! About half way through, you could see he was coming to the catch way sooner than everyone else. He was the only thing wrong with the timing! I think it's just because they were all tired, and he was starting to slack up on his arms being fully extended before coming up the slide.

May have just been me being hypercritical because I actually know a few things about rowing now haha. Last year, I was like, "What the hell's a bow?". I shall have a look at the iplayer tomorrow to check :P

Wasn't suggesting you were wrong, just find it funny that of all people it was him you picked out :wink:.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest