The Student Room Group

Resitting 2 AS modules, still chance of London Uni?

I need to resit my biology and chemistry AS modules, only the 2 of them from jan... if i don't i know i won't get grades for med...

is this acceptable for Unis like UCL or Imperial? i was told they can't tell if you resit the jan module in the following summer. and it's only 2 AS modules.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Since when are medical schools at UCL and Imperial classed as "higher"?
Does it even matter what uni you go to for medicine? other than for showing off, obviously.
Reply 3
Original post by Beska
Since when are medical schools at UCL and Imperial classed as "higher"?

i was told that universities like oxbridge, UCL manchester etc. were harder to get in to and had more of a "prestige" (which is not the reason i want go by the way since i'm not interested in any of the others, the course sounds really good and i want to go to london). it doesn't really matter it's just what my college tutor calls them i can edit it out if you want.

Original post by salty_candy
Does it even matter what uni you go to for medicine? other than for showing off, obviously.

no not for the actual degree, i also like cardiff and Leicester, it's just I want to be in london and the course sounds good for what i want to do like UCL having really big dissection and the SSCs etc. most people have a preference.

do either of you know the answer?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
what an annoying thread.
Reply 5
Original post by Organ
what an annoying thread.

what is your problem, i'm asking a genine question, if i knew people were going to get offended by the fact i called these unis "higher" (which is only due to what my tutor has said to me) i wouldn't have put it in. i just need help so if you aren't going to give it why bother answering.
Reply 6
Original post by Bellissima
I need to resit my biology and chemistry AS modules, only the 2 of them from jan... if i don't i know i won't get grades for med...

is this acceptable for Unis like UCL or Imperial? i was told they can't tell if you resit the jan module in the following summer. and it's only 2 AS modules.

It's fine, just resit them in the summer, they won't know you've retaken.

/thread
Reply 7
what is your problem, i'm asking a genine question, if i knew people were going to get offended by the fact i called these unis "higher" (which is only due to what my tutor has said to me) i wouldn't have put it in. i just need help so if you aren't going to give it why bother answering.

what do you expect when you start chuntering about higher universities - and just pluck three random medical schools out as these so-called higher universities?

as far as I am aware Birmingham is the highest altitude English city - so there is your highest medical school.
i was told that universities like oxbridge, UCL manchester etc. were harder to get in to and had more of a "prestige" (which is not the reason i want go by the way since i'm not interested in any of the others, the course sounds really good and i want to go to london). it doesn't really matter it's just what my college tutor calls them i can edit it out if you want.

no not for the actual degree, i also like cardiff and Leicester, it's just I want to be in london and the course sounds good for what i want to do like UCL having really big dissection and the SSCs etc. most people have a preference.

do either of you know the answer?

Fair enough then, god knows why you'd want to be in London though, going there for the day is enough to make me want to kill. :colondollar:
I suppose you'll have to ring/look on the websites of the individual unis and see if they accept resits
I dont think they'll mind/know.
As long as you do well in the summer retakes :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by salty_candy
Fair enough then, god knows why you'd want to be in London though, going there for the day is enough to make me want to kill. :colondollar:
I suppose you'll have to ring/look on the websites of the individual unis and see if they accept resits

haha same reaction as most of my friends and family, i just love it there though. yeah i wasn't sure though because UCL are apparently a bit sensative over resits but i hope that it's just A2 modules.

Original post by Bubbles2010
I dont think they'll mind/know.
As long as you do well in the summer retakes :smile:

thanks, i think you're right, i think they only see if i retake next year :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Organ
what do you expect when you start chuntering about higher universities - and just pluck three random medical schools out as these so-called higher universities?

as far as I am aware Birmingham is the highest altitude English city - so there is your highest medical school.

right, ok. i think you need to calm down. thanks for the information.

haha same reaction as most of my friends and family, i just love it there though. yeah i wasn't sure though because UCL are apparently a bit sensative over resits but i hope that it's just A2 modules.

thanks, i think you're right, i think they only see if i retake next year :smile:

Aww london is pretty cool :smile: a bit on the expensive side but well worth it :biggrin:
Also, if you are considering imperial/ucl, then it's more important to do well in bmat (people have got in with AS results of AABB, but a good bmat)
Reply 13
Aww london is pretty cool :smile: a bit on the expensive side but well worth it :biggrin:
Also, if you are considering imperial/ucl, then it's more important to do well in bmat (people have got in with AS results of AABB, but a good bmat)

yeah that's one of the things putting me off, how expensive it is there... i'd probably be paying off living loans till i'm 80!

mm i heard the bmat was quite hard so hopefully if i do it it wont be too bad.

yeah that's one of the things putting me off, how expensive it is there... i'd probably be paying off living loans till i'm 80!

mm i heard the bmat was quite hard so hopefully if i do it it wont be too bad.

Well, the student loan you get will take into account that your in london, so you'll get a bit more :smile:
Yeah, the bmat is pretty hard :tongue: (i completely failed, and got rejected from ucl and imperial w/o interview), but just think logically in the exam, do lots of prep n you should be okay :smile: (i kinda panicked and my mind went blank... luckily cambridge liked me at interviews :biggrin:)
Reply 15
Well, the student loan you get will take into account that your in london, so you'll get a bit more :smile:
Yeah, the bmat is pretty hard :tongue: (i completely failed, and got rejected from ucl and imperial w/o interview), but just think logically in the exam, do lots of prep n you should be okay :smile: (i kinda panicked and my mind went blank... luckily cambridge liked me at interviews :biggrin:)

oh well thats good i suppose, still more money to pay back though :mad:

oh no it sounds really hard then, especially as you got into cambridge, well done btw :smile:
UCL don't like it when you retake A2 modules but yeah like everyone said they probably won't mind retakes for A2.

Is this for 2012 entry? I'm applying for next year :smile: :biggrin: which other places are you gonna apply to?
Reply 17

Everyone's grumpy because Oxbridge/London unis/Manchester aren't the hardest to get into, necessarily. And it doesn't really matter where you graduate from for med. etc. You've been misinformed. In terms of prestige, I guess Oxbridge and some London ones are more prestigious. Anyway,

YES, you can resit and still have a chance. As long as you don't mess up the BMAT ...
This thread might be useful in terms of UCL: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1274355

Apparently they changed their rules, lots of new hoops to jump through, no retakes at A2, must take exams at a certain time, etc. I suggest you read the .pdf attached. And if in doubt, contact them.

As an aside, I'm completely agreeing with the others on this thread- don't go to a uni for medicine because of "prestige" they all teach the MBBS, and all must teach it to a good standard. I wouldn't block off the other London Unis- you may find that Kings, St Georges, or Barts will take retakes, and are much more suited to what you want in a course. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
London unis are the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending